• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

You know you're a fan editor when . . .

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You’re watching a movie in the theater and you'€™re already deciding how youâ€'re going to re-organize the footage when you get the home video.

You start buying movies that you hate, just for the opportunity to edit them.

The notion of watching a movie the way it was released kind of bores you.

Even movies you like become fodder for mash-ups.

The first question you have about any movie is, "€œWhat deleted scenes are there for me to work with?€"

You giggle at serious scenes in movies because you'€™re thinking of a fan edit that parodied that scene.

You wonder how much it would cost to buy an extra hard drive for your computer just so you can have more room to store fan edits.

When someone asks you to list your favorite Star Wars movies in order, you feel obliged to include all the fan edits you'€™ve seen on the list.

The unedited prequels are not on the aforementioned list at all.

You talk about having cut 40 minutes out of a movie with pride the way other guys discuss fixing up their cars over the weekend.

If you ever met a woman IRL who loved to talk about the pros and cons of various prequel edits, you’d probably propose to her on the spot.

You wish you could bring your computer to work or school so that you can work on your edit during breaks.

You'€™re constantly scouring movies you own for audio of an actor saying a certain line, so you can dub that line into another movie with the same actor.

Sometimes when you see something, you'€™ll think of suggesting it to someone else €-- not for the entertainment value of the product itself, but because there'€™s audio or video that they could use for one of their editing projects.

You spend time making a Jeff Foxworthy list about fan editors. ;)

(Does anyone else have any additions to this list they'€™d like to make?)

When you're looking for a scene of Natalie Portman in bed

I'm even reading comic books and thinking how i could scan the pages and twist it all to make it better :p

You spend time while viewing a movie or series thinking of how you can edit it around a female character.

Oh, that's just me. Okay, carry on. *goes back to working on MJ*

you stop getting invited to see movies because your friends are tired of you saying which scenes or lines could be cut.

Great suggestions, everyone! LOL! Keep 'em coming.

Mark, I think if we expanded that to working an edit around any character, I think it would fit. That guy from That 70's Show built a prequel edit that was so short, it had to focus strictly on Anakin/Vader (I'm guessing). And Frink is turning his prequel edits into Ric Olie-fests. :)

Gatos said:
When you're looking for a scene of Natalie Portman in bed

Touché Gatos. Touché.

("Slightly derivative from the original topic")

You know you're an old faneditor when:

- you're trying to "fight" against all what is said the first post! ;)
- you struggle to find a new fresh idea.
- you begin to think, like George Lucas, that you're only gonna make "little experimental" fanedits, nothing too big.
- you spent so much time on your fanedits that you don't want to remove the projects from your PC. But damn they take so much hard drive space...

TomH1138 said:
You’re watching a movie in the theater and you’re already deciding how you’re going to re-organize the footage when you get the home video.
Been doing this one since before I knew fan-edits were a thing.

Also, to expand upon this one, paying attention to how much audio work would be necessary if you were to remove a line of dialog, a scene, etc; or if they would create any plot holes. (I was doing this in the theater while watching John Carter)

Yes, all of the above, particularly buying movies you don't like with the possibility of fanediting in mind and the first thing I look for on any release are deleted scenes and their format (A/R & resolution)

You buy a movie just to use one scene from that movie in your edit

When you watch the same 5 seconds of a movie over and over again for 15-20 minutes

when you end up spending more time watching movies you don't like than movies you do.

You want to make a fanedit after watching someone else's fanedit and become inspired.

You spend well over a year creating multiple special effect shots for an edit.

When you try and carve Hulk 03's round peg to fit Hulk 08's square hole.

Metrostar said:
...you seriously consider spending $120 on a USED dvd of a tv movie you want to edit.

http://www.amazon.com/To-Catch-Killer-Brian-Dennehy/dp/B00000JWWP

You can't get a real/legal copy ANYWHERE for less. And I'm not 100% sure the used ones on Amazon are real. And that's why I haven't bought one.

I found these in 5 seconds thru google:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Brian-Dennehy-TO-CATCH-A-KILLER-color-189-minutes-DVD/25521151
http://blujay.com/item/TO-CATCH-A-KILLER-Stars-Brian-Dennehy-12010700-2661186
http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=14911089

TV's Frink said:

Thank you, but they are badly made illegal copies. All of them. I know, because I ordered one and have it in my desk drawer. One of the others I wrote a note with the payment stating that I wanted high dual-layer quality and they refunded my money. I believe because they knew I was onto them. Someone is selling illegal copies on Ebay too. I spent hours searching and researching every avenue I could on the internet. One of the used dvd's on Amazon was $80 a couple of weeks ago. I wrote to the seller and asked if it was a legal copy. They wrote back and said that it was and promptly put the price up to $120.

Thanks again. But this is one fanedit that is going to have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom