• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Les Miserables (2012)

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I grew up with this musical. My folks are massive fans of musicals in general, and performers themselves so my childhood nights were spent listening to them singing their lungs out with their fellow friends around the piano as they rehearsed for a new show. Often these songs would be from this very musical. I also saw it when it first came out in Australia when I was 7. I remember balling my eyes out (I know, I was a massive sissy) and tearfully saying "everyone dies in this show!". So while I acknowledge its extreme cheesiness, and understand why so many detest musicals and everything they stand for... this has such a nostalgic quality to me that I can't help but get into this trailer... and will look forward to seeing this later this year.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies...e-hathaway-sings-i-dreamed-a-dream-video.html

Still interested in how these performers go with the material, but this trailer has me optimistic.

Thoughts?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
I grew up with this musical. My folks are massive fans of musicals in general, and performers themselves so my childhood nights were spent listening to them singing their lungs out with their fellow friends around the piano as they rehearsed for a new show. Often these songs would be from this very musical. I also saw it when it first came out in Australia when I was 7. I remember balling my eyes out (I know, I was a massive sissy) and tearfully saying "everyone dies in this show!". So while I acknowledge its extreme cheesiness, and understand why so many detest musicals and everything they stand for... this has such a nostalgic quality to me that I can't help but get into this trailer... and will look forward to seeing this later this year.

http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies...e-hathaway-sings-i-dreamed-a-dream-video.html

Still interested in how these performers go with the material, but this trailer has me optimistic.

Thoughts?

Anne Hathaway's singing is kind of hit and miss, sounded alright in some parts and bad in other parts of the song JMO

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this film and was impressed and disappointed at the same time. What's there in the film is great and certainly makes the film worthy of best picture of the year award. Again, everything there is great, it's what's not there that is the problem. The pacing is really weird, if not bad. The pacing of the film felt very rushed and consistently got better and better. The begenning you had scenes that felt like 2 seconds, and later you had scenes that felt neverending (in a good way). The pacing should have been even throughout the film. It would have been a much better experience. You can't tell me The Bishop's scene is less important than Master Of The House, which is amazing.

The pacing also had an effect on the easiness of the plot and character development. The plot was extremely hard to follow in the begening and got better due to the pacing getting slower. I've seen this on broadway twice and seen all the book adpated films several times. These told you everything compared to this film, which seemed to assume "everyone who is going to see the film, already knows the story." The character development was also effected by rushed pacing and left many characters thin as paper. For example, the Marius and Cossette love was less beleievable then love found in classic Disney princess films, yes Cinderella was more believable than this romance. Marius and Eponine showed more true love than Marius and Cossette ever did. However maybe it just makes Eponine that much more likeable, but a the same time makes Cossette seem unlikeable. Javert and Jean Valjean's characters are probably the worst affected by the film. While they have the most depth, there was far more potential for them.

Now, I should comment on the singing. There are no dialogue based scenes, there's dialogue here and there but usually there just under-the-breath comments. The singing itself was allways absolutely amazing, far better than on the stage. instead of making their vocies perfect in every way, ther was true raw emotion in their vocies. You got so much more from the characters just because of how they sung each track. And of course, recording live on set should now be done for every movie musical as it adds a sense of reality.

I really love this film, despite it's large amount of gripes. It's one of those films that's so good, yet still could be so much better. I really hope an uncut version is released on bluray, because I am certain it will be far superior. I read the shooting script for this film, and it was much better than the product on screen. So what this all this film's issues are truly related to is the editing. I really encourage everyone to see this film as it is of great quality, and I put it right next to The Hobbit and Lincoln.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this film a few days ago and thought it was amazing. This is coming from someone who is completely unfamiliar with the story. I thought it was a great film, and certainly worthy of being a contender for Best Picture. I'm not usually a fan of musicals, and the fact that they sang live on set was instrumental in my enjoyment of the picture. Musicals tend to feel fake to me, this did not. The music just felt like a different narrative technique. And it was very good.

But I have to agree with emanswfan, the pacing was definitely off. I was struck fairly early on by how uneven it was. But, overall, it's actually a rather small gripe.

Top Bottom