• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Persona (1966)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_(film)

The film has been interpreted in many different ways and has been the subject of long-standing debates among film fans as well as critics.

Lloyd Michaels sums up what he calls "the most widely held view" of Persona’s content.[SUP][8][/SUP] According to this view, Persona is "a kind of modernist horror movie"[SUP][9][/SUP] Elisabet’s condition, described by a doctor as "the hopeless dream to be", is "the shared condition of both life and film art".[SUP][10][/SUP] Bergman and Elisabet share the same dilemma: they cannot respond authentically to "large catastrophes" (such as the Holocaust or the Vietnam War).[SUP][9][/SUP] The actress Elisabet responds by no longer speaking: by contrast the filmmaker Bergman emphasizes that "necessary illusions" enable us to live.

Susan Sontag suggests that Persona is constructed as a series of variations on a theme of "doubling".[SUP][11][/SUP] The subject of the film, Sontag proposes, is "violence of the spirit".[SUP][12][/SUP] Film scholar P. Adams Sitney offers a completely different reading, arguing that "Persona covertly dramatizes a psychoanalysis from the point of view of a patient".[SUP][13][/SUP]

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But those are just interpretations of what the film means, BladeRunner wants it EXPLAINED! Get with the program :p

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
But those are just interpretations of what the film means, BladeRunner wants it EXPLAINED! Get with the program :p

Fine.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
laughing-cat.jpg

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great film. Can I explain it? Probably not. Did I enjoy it? Yes. A lot. :)

BladeRunner391

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Great film. Can I explain it? Probably not. Did I enjoy it? Yes. A lot. :)

Same. I had no idea what was happening, but I loved watching it. Bergman is a master.

Top Bottom