• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Editing a fanedit with Premiere Pro??

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys, so I've finally gotten everything transferred to my new computer. Problem is I am so lost! I've ripped my dvd with dvd fab. I ripped the 5.1 audio and the main movie. Now I'm confused. I demuxed it with Mpeg Streamclip to an m2v file and ac3 file, then i imported them and the video was half of the length of the audio. This is all new to me and I'm so confused. The ac3 file worked nicely but the video was all screwed up. Is there anyone who can give me a guide to editing on a mac?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
M2V is not a suitable format to edit in. You should convert it to a lossless format like Lagarith. If you're on Mac then you're probably stuck with DV.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM Productions said:
Well, whats a good format to convert to on a mac?

Read my post again. :)

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, hahaha, i need to read more slowly. Thanks for your help. I'll see if it works.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That worked great, but I think I need to split my ac3 file into 6 mono wav files so that i can delete the music from some scenes. How do i do this? I cant find any program to that will tell me where they go like right, center, left, ect.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Audacity will do the trick. Make sure you install the AC3 plugin though.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Then, when I get it into Premiere what do i do? Do I put the wavs onto seperate tracks or can i put them all in a 5.1 track? And if I put them on separate tracks do I have to adjust the volume or placement?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Placement is however you want it. And yes, export each track from Audacity as a mono WAV.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've yet to fully roll my sleeves up with PP, but based on my time with FCP, I would recommend each mono channel separately in the timeline, this should give you maximum control in editing the audio. I've not yet run through to exporting out of PP so I don't know if the workflow mimics FCP there. Q2 might be able to advise..

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi TM

You can split your 5.1file into 6 mono tracks within PP if you want to. Just highlight the file, then Clip>Audio Options>Breakout to Mono.

You obviously need to set up your timeline with as many mono tracks as needed, and decide if you want a master surround or stereo mix. Then you treat each mono track seperately. So you'll need to mix them individually to get the balance you want.

Top Bottom