• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Made You Cry

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll admit it: I'm not afraid to cry during movies.

The first time was Lord of the Rings: Return of the King back in 2003. Yeah I cried at the end. Actually, every time I've seen this movie I've cried at the end. I hadn't watched it in awhile, then last year I saw the extended edition in theaters and... I cried.

Also, when I first saw Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith I cried at the end, because it was the end of the saga and John Williams. This is something that has only occurred once.

I cried during Toy Story 3 because... how could you not cry?

Last year I cried during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (at the end when that old "not really going home" Williams motif played) and during War Horse (Williams fault again, also Spielberg).

Williams (and Spielberg) tend to do this to me a lot actually:
1. Cried at the end of Saving Private Ryan
2. Cried at the end of Schindler's List
3. Never cried at the end of E.T when I was younger, but I watched again recently and finally understood the broken family stuff and... I cried a lot.

I think that's it, actually. I've gotten choked up in a number of films as well - Cinema Paradiso, The Deer Hunter, The Bicycle Thief, It's a Wonderful Life, 127 Hours, and a few others I'm forgetting - but I didn't shed a tear (okay I actually cried quite a bit during 127 Hours).

The thing I cried most during though, wasn't a movie at all - it was the series finale of Lost. Not because it was bad, but because it was really good, perhaps the best episode of the series. And it was really emotional. And Michael Giacchino (who has proven to be the second coming of Williams - he also did Toy Story 3 and choker Up). And, of course, it was the end of a 6 year journey.

What movies have you cried during? DON'T LIE.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only movies that come to mind are Forrest Gump, when he's at Jenny's grave, and Remember The Titans.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I almost never cry at movies. It's not a macho thing; I just physically have a hard time tearing up in general (probably have that chronic dry eye thing).

But there is one movie that got me, and it got me the first time before I ever actually saw the movie.

I first heard Itzhak Perlman's recording of the theme from Schindler's List in a music therapy class as an undergrad. I tend to favor minor melodies anyway -- that's one reason I play and sing blues -- but this theme just shattered me.

A while later, I saw the film itself. I spent most of the film feeling numb, except when I felt actual hatred for Ralph Fiennes's character (not sure anyone else in film has ever provoked that reaction). Then there was the scene with Schindler talking about how he could have done more. I lost it completely.

I've never seen the film again; I'm not sure I could handle it.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah that was the scene that got me too.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got teary-eyed at Toy Story 3 too. Also Titanic, Braveheart and The Fountain. Oh... and Grave of the Fireflies. If you don't wanna ball your eyes out stay away from that one.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cried when I was 7 years old and saw E.T on theater.

Toy Story 2 and 3... yes, almost. Holding tears. Pixar got me.

I must admit that I'm VERY receptive to emotional music.
Bring up the violin and I almost cry at the end of Titanic.
Not because "Leo dies", but because of the overal emotional force of the movie as a whole.

This happens a lot to me. Having the tears coming not really because of the story that is told,
or because it is "sad", but because of the extraodinary work that is put into a movie to lead the audience
to an emotional response.

I sometime even almost cry at some happy moments in movies.
Usualy when the hard work of someone is rewarded in the end. Things like that.
Spoiler for those who have not seen HUGO:
Watching the scene of Melies seeing his movies played in a full theater was very touching for me.
That said, it's a hard combination to get your audience crying.
Get actors who can't delivers, and the music alone can't make it.
Get great actors, good direction, but a cheesy music, and it's ruins.
Get a perfect scene where everything is done right, but without previous scenes that lead you to that point,
and it's not working either.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loads, but the ones I remember

The Wrestler
Conspiracy Theory
Charlottes Web
Watership Down
Plague Dogs
Australia
Cemetery Junction
Green Mile
LOTR Movies
Boys from the Blackstuff

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cried when I saw Babe the first time. And once when I was out at Blockbusters looking for a rental I got sucked into Babe 2 Pig In The City they had playing on one of the TVs and I had to walk off when the little crippled dog goes to heaven and he's jumping around chasing butterflies, I could feel I was about to weep. That bit gets me every time.

I shed a silent tear or 2 watching The Thin Red Line when I saw that on the big screen, the part when they assault the Japanese camp from out of the mist got me, you finally get to see from the other side that they're just as scared shitless as the US troops and not some evil merciless devils.

I think War Horse was the last one that got me. Actually no, it was Miss Congeniality, my ladyfriend suggested we watch it and the bit of sick that came up into my mouth made my eyes water

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I almost forgot:

Up

Those damn scenes at the begining and at the end.... :cry:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Oh, I almost forgot:

Up

Those damn scenes at the begining and at the end.... :cry:

Yep, me too.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Up, The Green Mile, The Notebook, Beauty and the Beast (Disney), The Lion King, Far Away Home, Homeward Bound, Toy Story 3, E.T., Million Dollar Babh, Philadelphia, and several more that I can't recall right now. Also, Superman. I swear to God, every time Christopher smiles, I barely hold it together. So damn heartbreaking to know he's gone :cry: It's downright torture when you realise how big of a fan I am...

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pixar can make me cry quite often. The first 10 minutes of UP get really depressing and make me feel really sad. One of the best parts of the movie. Also Toy Story 3. If you didn't cry during the end or during the burning scene then you have no soul.

The ending of The Iron Giant also makes me really sad. One of my favorite animated movies ever. Also lets not forget Symba's Dad or when Littlefoot's mother dies at the end of the Land Before Time. I always cry at that part. Also the American Tail. The entire movie is depressing.

Now non cartoon movies, I always cry like a baby during the final moments of the Titanic. The ending of Marley and Me make me cry a lot also and i had a similar situation with my own dog that i really loved.

Other movies that make me really sad have to be Schindler's List, Rocky Balboa (yes, a Rocky movie), Million Dollar Baby, Saving Private Ryan, Old Yeller (again my dog :-( ), the Notebook, Forest Gump.... Damn, I actually get emotional with a lot of movies...

Swarles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
This happens a lot to me. Having the tears coming not really because of the story that is told,
or because it is "sad", but because of the extraodinary work that is put into a movie to lead the audience
to an emotional response.
I totally get that. For me it's the scene in Return of the King when the Rohirrim charge on Minas Tirith. With Theoden's speech and when everyone does that battle cry and then they start charging and Howard Shore breaks my heart with that incredible music... Gah! So freaking powerful! It's not because it's a bunch of brave people on horses riding to probable deaths to save their friends, it's just a beautiful moment of movie magic.

Other movies that make me cry:

Simon Birch
Life as a House
Click

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cry more often than I should admit to. Recently I remember crying during parts of 50/50.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never cried during a movie :-(

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When Luke removes vaders mask in Jedi. You see anakins love for his son

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Iron Giant, Return of the King, Beauty and the Beast, Return of the Jedi, Toy Story 3, Saving Private Ryan, Babe, Braveheart, Harry Potter 8, It's a Wonderful Life, Remember the Titans, Lion King, Forrest Gump, E.T., Hugo, Charlotte's Web, Up.

None of those made me cry.

Is there something wrong with me? :cry:

:-D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Spoiler for those who have not seen HUGO:
Watching the scene of Melies seeing his movies played in a full theater was very touching for me.

That scene got me too.

g1orkatsos said:
The ending of Marley and Me make me cry a lot also and i had a similar situation with my own dog that i really loved.

I can't watch that movie. I heard about the ending and I knew if I watched it I would ball my eyes out. I lost my dog five years ago, she was a month and a half shy of 17 and I had her since she was a month old. She held on for as long as she could that last day and basically waited for me to tell her that it was alright to let go. I told her I loved her and that I was going to miss her more than anything but she was in pain and it was alright to let go. I kissed her, she licked my hand, had a little seizure and passed away in front of me. I cried for hours after that, and was depressed for weeks, so I can definitely sympathize. I ended up getting her face tattooed on my right bicep.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The much-balleyhooed Up montage scene just pissed me off. Okay, so she can't have children. What about adoption? What about getting a dog? Huh? Is he really just going to sell balloons at the zoo all his life? And she's okay with that, even though they're too poor to fix a tire without emptying their vacation savings? Hey, what's the wife's job, anyway? What does she do all day? What does he do all day? And why don't they have any dogs?

As for Toy Story 3, the whole movie just creeped me out. So these toys, who have personalities and emotion, really can't think of any greater happiness than pretending they're not alive while a kid plays with them? Okay, I can sort of go with that for one movie, and the superior sequel was mostly about rescuing Buzz, and the toys' friendship with each other. But, more than ten years later, the toys still just want to play dead and be played with? I am now officially creeped out. :p

But for movies that made me cry? Atonement chokes me up, and I dare anyone to watch Nixon, especially in one sitting, without tearing up at the end.

Top Bottom