• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lowly Rated Movies You Like

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Similar to that other thread, but the opposite!

One that immediately comes to mind for me is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sure there was too much CGI, sure some of the dialog was dumb, but I really like it. And I especially like the fridge and the space ship. Despite what most people say, it was just like the other ones: a throwback to 50 year old adventure films. It just happened to be that adventure movies in the 50s also tended to be B level sci fi pictures. I also really liked Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. (I'd also like to note that KOTCS has a fairly good rating on RT.)

Also, off the top of my head, I like Red Dawn, but in a guilty pleasure kind of way (it's so ridiculous!)

So what movies do you guys think people have wrong? What are some of your guilty pleasures?

The Abyss. Serenity. Donnie Darko.

Ditto on Serenity. Young Sherlock Holmes. Force 10 From Navarone. The Rocketeer. My Favorite Year. Big Night. The Impostors.

I liked Temple of Doom (considerably more than that piece of trash KOTCS :p), but it's ratings actually haven't been bad.

Hm... I enjoyed X-Men Origins Wolverine (still like First Class and X2 more, but I liked it).

I think most of my guilty pleasure are comedies, the most specific ones being Shawn Levy's movies. I've seen most of them, and for some reason I've found all of them really funny, even though a lot of their humor is aimed at pre-teens and they're kind of disjointed. But I just laugh every time... I mean, Pink Panther, Night at the Museum, Cheaper by the Dozen, Big Fat Liar... they're all cheap kids' comedies, but they just appeal to me :shrug: None of them would come near any of my top 100, because their artistic qualities are low, but in those movies you've got Steve Martin, Paul Giamatti, Ben Stiller, Kevin Kline, Eugene Levy, Ashton Kutcher, and Bonnie Hunt. They just keep me laughing.

Bowfinger. That movie is such a hilarious poke at Hollywood. I believe it's actually gotten ok critic reviews though.

The Room! Such a wonderful horrible film. I laugh every time i watch it. :lol:

The Love Guru :)

and I maintain that HP5 was the very best Harry Potter film. Followed by 8, then 2(extended edition).

The_league_of_Extraordinary_Gentlemen_movie.jpg

Y'ALL KNOW IT'S AWESOME

... NO, REALLY

YES, IT IS

Q2 said:
The Abyss. Serenity.

I didn't realize that The Abyss was a hated movie. I loved it. I've never seen Firefly but I really enjoyed Serenity.

QuickCut said:
Bowfinger. That movie is such a hilarious poke at Hollywood. I believe it's actually gotten ok critic
reviews though.

Loved Bowfinger. Also Life starring Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. As for recent movie I seem to be the only one who didn't hate The Devil Inside. I can probably think of some more, just give me a little time.

Frantic Canadian said:
I can probably think of some more, just give me a little time.

I could think of some for you: Zack and Miri, Repo Men, Paranormal Activity, Rambo III, and Final Destination 3. :p

Q2 said:
The Abyss. Serenity. Donnie Darko.

Those are three movies that all have above 7.5 on IMDb and Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Are you looking for the opposite thread... ?

QuickCut said:
I could think of some for you: Zack and Miri, Repo Men, Paranormal Activity, Rambo III, and Final Destination 3. :p

Nothing wrong with Kevin Smith movies. ;) Zack And Miri was pretty funny, but could have been a lot funnier had they kept in some of the scenes that wound up on the cutting room floor. That's where my edit comes in. Rambo III was alright, but it's my least favorite of the four. And I love the whole Final Destination franchise, except for the last one. That one just plain sucked. As for others? Definitely the Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween, and Child's Play franchises. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is probably my favorite from that franchise.

Am I the only one who likes Bruce Almighty? :lol:

Frantic Canadian said:
I thought it was alright. Haven't seen the sequel though.

Evan Almighty is completely lame. I didn't laugh once.

QuickCut said:
Those are three movies that all have above 7.5 on IMDb and Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Are you looking for the opposite thread... ?

I was going by box office receipts, not popularity.

I see what Q2 is talking about, but I think this thread was more intended as a "Guilty Pleasures" thread. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

I still love Temple of Doom, even though I can tell with adult eyes how horrible it is. Part of me will always watch it as a 10-year-old.

Kingdom of the Overly Long Title certainly wasn't as bad as the Star Wars prequels. The acting was good and there was a little sense of fun about it.
But the anti-McCarthyism stuff has just been beaten to death in every movie about the 1950s. It had no real bearing on the plot, either. The motivation for Indy going on the adventure is that Mutt's mom is missing, not the McCarthy stuff. And then he magically gets his position back at the end, even though what he accomplished had nothing to do with the FBI stuff, really. (He doesn't even have any proof that Mack and Spalko are dead or even defeated.)

UHF is a very silly movie, but it makes me laugh every time.

Ditto for Clue. What should have been a not-very-good movie is rescued by an amazing cast. (Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Michael McKeon, Lesley Ann Warren, Eileen Brennan, Martin Mull, Madeline Kahn!) And I always loved the board game, so . . .

TomH1138 said:
I still love Temple of Doom, even though I can tell with adult eyes how horrible it is. Part of me will always watch it as a 10-year-old.

What do you think is horrible about it? It's not as good as Raiders or Crusade, but I think it's all around a really good movie.

... Attack of the Clones is my favorite Star Wars movie. Does that count? :p

nightstalkerpoet said:
... Attack of the Clones is my favorite Star Wars movie. Does that count? :p

um, what. dies.

To The Room, I will add Troll 2 and Birdemic.

Back
Top Bottom