• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

ChainsawAsh said:
Is Grease a highly rated movie?

If so, it shouldn't be. It's awful in almost every way.

Wrong. The music is good. Otherwise, you’re right.

Grease is almost a good movie. But that ending. That wholly wrongheaded ending.

Duragizer said:

I’m curious, do you mean them flying off in the car at the end or the happy ending in general?

I'm going to take my thoughts on Grease to the Highly Rated Movies You Are Indifferent About And In Fact Have Probably Never Seen The Whole Way Through thread.

slekyr said:
Duragizer said:

I’m curious, do you mean them flying off in the car at the end or the happy ending in general?

I mean the movie ends with the girl totally changing herself to be what the guy wanted her to be...

Possessed said:
slekyr said:
Duragizer said:

I mean the movie ends with the girl totally changing herself to be what the guy wanted her to be...

That makes sense but he also changes himself to what she wanted him to be.  To me it is a subtle nod or reference to "The Gift of the Magi" which has become a story trope used on several occasions.

Yeah but, and it's been a long time since I've seen it so i may be wrong, doesn't that end up just going out the window when he sees she changed too and they both just end up being what he originally wanted?

I believe so.  It has been a while for me as well but from what I remember once he realizes that she changed as well he reverts back to his original greaser self. 

If it were made today, maybe she would be the one to switch back to match him or maybe they both stay their switched selves, or even maybe they both switch back to their original selves and realize it doesn't matter or something like that.  Considering when the film was made, that little fact doesn't bother me at all because at least he made the effort in the first place to change as well. 

Not to assume exactly what you meant, but I don't think just because there has been a change in cultural standards in today's society a movie from the past can be judged based on modern values.  Many "classic" 80's John Hughes films are filled with bigotry, misogyny, and racism but instead of saying the movie is trash it should be used as a teaching lesson of what not to do and how far we've become.

I don't even really like Grease that much, but I've heard this type of debate come up in the past and apparently I have strong feelings about it haha.

I don't have strong feelings about it, I get it, I was merely elucidating possible reasons others have such a problem with it.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I can't get onboard with the movie's insistence that a guy abandoning his family to go on a space adventure is a positive thing. The FX and music at the end are incredible but by that point I've checked out from the story.

@"Possessed" that’s fair and it makes sense.

I have the same feeling about Close Encounters, I think it wowed audiences back in the day but doesn’t really hold up.

Back
Top Bottom