• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Doesn't mean I want to spend any time listening to their music.

You just made collipso go into epileptic shock

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Possessed said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I think a lot of this is based on what I call “Eric Clapton Syndrome.” People don’t see the genius of 2001 or Citizen Kane because they've seen so many movies influenced by them that it seems just one of a crowd. But just as Eric Clapton’s blues-rock riffs are everywhere today, they were revelatory (to white people) at the time. So, too, do the influences of Citizen Kane and 2001 seem somewhat diminished by their many, many successors. I’m going to guess that most of the people on this site wouldn’t be here without Star Wars. Well, Star Wars doesn’t exist without 2001 and probably Citizen Kane.

I don't really care for Eric Clapton at all. The real thing is better. But I do have to give him credit for having the courage to acknowledge this.

That was totally off topic though. 2001 is probably a good analogy though.

That’s basically exactly why I use Clapton to make this point. I came of age as a music lover in the 70s and 80s. By that time every rock guitar player was playing those blues licks. When I heard that Clapton was revered as “god” I just didn’t get it. But what I came to realize was if you’d never heard it before, it was life changing.

Seeing 2001 in 2019 with a lifetime of experience with “space movies” it’s not going to have the same impact. But that doesn’t mean it still isn’t a masterpiece that, without it, much of what we cherish would not exist.

I can give The Beatles tons of credit for all the things they did.

Yup, that’s exactly what mean with Clapton. While I don’t dislike Clapton, he’s never been a guitar god to me. In fact, by today’s standards he’s pretty pedestrian. But there’s no doubt that in 1966 it was completely revolutionary.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Beatles are my favourite group. I'm obviously in the wrong thread.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^It wasn't though. He just brought it to white audiences. It was revolutionary in a sense in terms of exposure, and it certainly wasn't bad by any means, but it had mostly been done before, but better.

(Not that you have to be revolutionary to be entertaining by any means. Stevie Ray Vaughan was even less original than Clapton but, in my opinion of course, infinitely more entertaining to listen to. A sentiment Clapton has also hinted at sharing, which I respect him for being big enough to say.)

Anyway, movies...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
^^It wasn't though. He just brought it to white audiences. It was revolutionary in a sense in terms of exposure, and it certainly wasn't bad by any means, but it had mostly been done before, but better.

(Not that you have to be revolutionary to be entertaining by any means. Stevie Ray Vaughan was even less original than Clapton but, in my opinion of course, infinitely more entertaining to listen to. A sentiment Clapton has also hinted at sharing, which I respect him for being big enough to say.)

Anyway, movies...

Yeah, check out above where I said “to white people.”

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was on the last page, it doesn't count anymore. :p

The post I was replying to didn't make that distinction, and i forgot what you said before that. To be fair it was like a week ago and on a different page...

Edit: It was quoted on this page though. Carp

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
TVs Frink said:

frink is an intelligent guy so he at least acknowledges that the beatles are great.

edit: i'm not even going to start talking about Star Wars' PT because it's just not worth it.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boss move bud. Especially considering that would be the opposite of this thread, which is Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like, not Lukewarmly Rated Movies You Do Like.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Collipso said:
Possessed said:
TVs Frink said:

frink is an intelligent guy so he at least acknowledges that the beatles are great.

edit: i'm not even going to start talking about Star Wars' PT because it's just not worth it.

First and last time someone put The Beatles and the PT in the same post.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyway, highly rated movies we don't like?

People really liked A Quiet Place, right?  That movie annoyed the shit out of me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ditto. The joke from the spoof movie 'Top Secret!' about the sound of walking on leaves (which you can see at 10.52 into this RLM video) sums up my problem with 'A Quiet Place', although in that case it's supposed to be taken seriously :D :

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed A Quiet Place, but with plenty of asterisks. It certainly had problems that bothered me. But for the one time I saw it in theaters with a nice lady friend, it was fine.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too had lots of problems with A Quiet Place, but I still found it to be entertaining and effective.

It amused me to no end when I saw Michael Bay with a producer credit. Certainly the last name I expected to be attached to a movie like that.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Quiet Place is a technically well-made birth control commercial, and little more, I have no idea why it was so popular.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Imagine the silent conception that took place off camera. I mean don't, but do.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't like The Wizard of Oz. That probably should've been in my first post in thus thread.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is Grease a highly rated movie?

If so, it shouldn't be. It's awful in almost every way.

Top Bottom