• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What are the movies that everyone else seems to like that you don't? Here are a few of mine...

Tangled
I think this is an overrated, cliche, mediocre, mess. The whole script is plagued with overused jokes and ploys and slapstick and plot devices. Yeah, the animation is good and some of the songs are ok, but I was really bored during this, I never laughed, and overall it's just a joke that this is so highly rated.

Blade Runner
Ok, before you shoot me, I do like Blade Runner. I just don't love, love, love it. It was interesting and it had a cool atmosphere. I can appreciate the slow pace, but I think that it was a little too slow at times. And imho it just got too strange in parts, even for a sci-fi. Overall I did enjoy it but I didn't think it was groundbreaking. Maybe another viewing will change my opinion? I don't know...

The Untouchables
There were some well made scenes and instances of good scripting, but what bugs me most about this movie is the lack of escalation. The climax is kind of disappointing - there needed to be a bigger build-up of tension. Not to mention that Kevin Costner just can't play angry. He can't. His level of mad is like, oh-no-someone-hacked-my-facebook-and-wrote-a-goofy-status, not someone-just-murdered-two-of-my-friends. I found Robert De Niro a bit underwhelming as well.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gladiator for me. I think it's terrible, everyone else seems to love it.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nightstalkerpoet said:
Definitely Avatar. Not big on Batman Begins either.

I liked Avatar, but I didn't think it deserved so much praise - it's been said before: just a Pocahontas rehash with blue people and magical trees.

Batman Begins is in my Top 10.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Off the top of my head Avatar, The Matrix, Inception, Bridesmaids.

And I don't know about highly regarded, but The Source Code, The Adjustment Bureau, and anything by Judd Apatow.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always hated the hate for Avatar. I don't really think originality is the best judge for a quality motion picture.

Use to be Titanic for me, but I watched it recently and actually liked it so, how about the Sound of Music and Chariots of Fire.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I've always hated the hate for Avatar. I don't really think originality is the best judge for a quality motion picture.

My hate for Avatar has nothing to do with it being a rehash of Ferngully. It has to do with the fact that the movie is boring as f@#$, way too long, and the cgi looks like it belongs in video game cut scenes. You'd think with all the money they spent on this movie that they could get some decent realistic looking computer effects.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
My hate for Avatar has nothing to do with it being a rehash of Ferngully. It has to do with the fact that the movie is boring as f@#$, way too long, and the cgi looks like it belongs in video game cut scenes. You'd think with all the money they spent on this movie that they could get some decent realistic looking computer effects.
That's okay. I'm also okay with people who say the characters and dialogue are lame. My response to those is first of all, it's not boring to me! second of all, it's a little to long but I don't mind; I don't really agree about the CGI; and I don't think the characterization/dialogue is really all that detrimental to it.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Gladiator for me. I think it's terrible, everyone else seems to love it.

*High fives Q2*, while I don't think it is terrible, I am forever baffled that it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. Also it's a goddamn Ben Hur rip off!

For me it's The Hangover. I laughed once. Extremely overrated IMO.

Also Burn After Reading. I am a big Coen brothers fan and just wasn't impressed. On the other hand, I really enjoyed A Serious Man and I think a lot of people (even Coen bros fans) didn't enjoy it.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:

Use to be Titanic for me, but I watched it recently and actually liked it so, how about the Sound of Music and Chariots of Fire.

Love Sound of Music. Top 20.

I didn't think the SFX in Avatar were bad, I just didn't think that the story was that great.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
That's okay. I'm also okay with people who say the characters and dialogue are lame. My response to those is first of all, it's not boring to me! second of all, it's a little to long but I don't mind; I don't really agree about the CGI; and I don't think the characterization/dialogue is really all that detrimental to it.

Here's what I wrote on Facebook after finally breaking down and deciding to watch Avatar.

"Finally gave in and decided to watch Avatar. I wish I hadn't. lol The first half hour or so is good but then they introduce the Na'Vi and the cgi gets way too distracting. I stick by my previous statement that it looks like a video game. Then there's all that hippie tree hugger bullshit that goes on forever."

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
... On the other hand, I really enjoyed A Serious Man and I think a lot of people (even Coen bros fans) didn't enjoy it.
I've seen every Coen bros. film and have to say I really liked A Serious Man. Didn't like the Ladykillers or Intolerable Cruelty though. I also wonder if we're going off audience reputation or critical reception, because I think A Serious Man got a best picture nom.

Speaking of best picture noms., I don't think the Help deserved the amount of praise it received, and I do not think it deserved to edge out Drive, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and a few others that I'm forgetting for a BP nom.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
winslet3.jpg

SUCKS

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avatar. The Hangover's. Pirates Of The Caribbean (I've only seen 1 and 4). The Harry Potter's.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Metrostar said:
Pirates Of The Caribbean (I've only seen 1 and 4). The Harry Potter's.

POTC: 2, 3, 4, were all mehs for me. I liked the first one.

HP: I liked all of them, actually. I would probably rank them 3, 8, 2 (yeah I liked two for some reason...), 4, 6, 5, 1, 7.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
juice4z0 said:
300 is my hated popular movie by far

Ooo. Add that to my list too.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Off the top of my head:

The Dark Knight
Bridesmaids
Anchorman
Amores Perros
Titanic

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Speaking of best picture noms., I don't think the Help deserved the amount of praise it received, and I do not think it deserved to edge out Drive, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and a few others that I'm forgetting for a BP nom.

I really liked The Help, but don't get all the praise thrown at Drive. I thought it was alright, but nothing special. Loved The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo though, even though it wasn't as good as the original.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Off the top of my head:

Amores Perros

I thought it was really good, but I can't watch it anymore. I had no idea how much animal cruelty was involved in that movie. I knew going in that one of the stories was about dog fighting, but I had no idea how graphic and realistic it was going to be. Broke my heart to watch it.

Top Bottom