• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

CYBORG V: Attack of the Fembots

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicmancover3example2.jpg

CYBORG V: ATTACK OF THE FEMBOTS

A THREAT SO BIG IT WILL TAKE TWO OF TELEVISION'S GREATEST HEROES TO DEFEAT IT!

OSCAR GOLDMAN KIDNAPPED!
THE OSI WEATHER CONTROL SATELLITE STOLEN!
AND A MAD SCIENTIST DETERMINED TO BRING THE WORLD TO ITS KNEES!

COLONEL STEVE AUSTIN AND JAIME SOMMERS MUST TEAM UP TO STOP THE DIABOLICAL DR. FRANKLIN AND HIS ROBOTIC ARMY OF FEMBOTS FROM BRING ABOUT AN ENVIRONMENTAL APOCALYPSE TO THE PLANET.

original film names: The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, "Kill Oscar"
new film name : CYBORG V: ATTACK OF THE FEMBOTS.
tag line: THE KILL OSCAR EDITION
film studio name : Universal Studios
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me :)
Date Original Film Was Released : ABC Televison Network October 1976
Date Edit Was Released : May 2012
Original Runtime : 2 Hours 30 minutes
New Runtime : 2 Hours
Cut/Add Time: cut about 35 minutes, added 2 minutes

Fanedit Intention:
Simply recut my all time favorite 3 part bionic crossover episodes into a fun, escapist 2 hour movie.

Editing Details:
--created new opening credits
--removed all the commercial breaks
--removed all opening title card scenes
--restructured/trimmed the episode cliffhangers
--removed repetitive exposition
--many tiny cuts/trims to increase the pace of the adventure and bring the edit in at the two hour mark

Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

TRAILER:

DVD ARTWORK BY ROGUE-THEX:

cyborgvbionicbob3dview.jpg

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When can we expect Cyborg II III and IV with awesome rogue artwork :rockon::rockon:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJE-187 said:
When can we expect Cyborg II III and IV with awesome rogue artwork :rockon::rockon:

The future is unwritten but hopefully before talking monkeys or evil robots take over the planet.;-)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I for one am looking forward to the arrival of our Robot Overlords.. I think the talking monkeys will be a bit more vindictive.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to THANK YOU Blueyoda for his nice review.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the edit. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Neg for posting your comments on the main page. Glad to hear you enjoyed the show.:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
June 22 -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDSAY WAGNER!!! :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebue:

Very enjoyable trip down Memory Lane. As blueyoda noted, the editing is seamless; Attack of the Fembots truly comes across as a feature movie of its time, not a serial.

Wonderful job by bionicbob. 9/10.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks ssj!!! Glad you enjoyed the bionic ride!:)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello Bionic Believers! Here are some encore articles from when this project was In The Works Thread...

The during the second season of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, writer Kenneth Johnson pitched the idea of creating a female counterpart to Steve Austin, a bride of Frankenstein sort of idea. This idea was greenlit and evolved in the classic two parter episode "The Bionic Woman" airing March 16 and 23, 1975.

When trying to cast this pivotal role, the producers became captivated with Universal contract player named Lindsay Wagner who was winning rave reviews for her performance in the recent ROCKFORD FILES pilot movie. But when first offered the role, Lindsay turned it down. It was only after the prompting of her younger sister who was a fan of the show, that she finally accepted the role that would make her a tv superstar. Needless to say, Lindsay Wagner stole every scene she was in and infused the character with a instant warmth and genuineness, and created an amazing chemistry with Lee Majors.

The story is very simple and straightforward, Steve returns to his home town of Ojai, California to buy a property and be closer to his family. While there, he is reunited with his childhood sweetheart Jaime Sommers, a world class tennis pro player. The two rekindle there romance and after a whirlwind courtship (in which Lee Majors sings one of the most horrible love songs ever recorded) Steve proposes and Jaime accepts. But then tragedy occurs, as Jaime is nearly killed in a sky diving accident. Steve bullies and begs Oscar to perform bionic surgery on Jaime, which he reluctantly agrees to on the condition Jaime would have to work for the OSI. Rudy performs the surgery and at first things seem okay as Jaime comes to terms with her new body. But it quickly becomes clear something is not right as Jaime becomes subject to spells of severe headaches and malfunctioning bionics. It is determined her body is rejecting her bionic implants. Another emergency surgery is performed, but it is too late, and Jaime dies on the operating table with Steve standing over her.

Needless to say, it was a powerful and emotional episode.

The interesting twist is, Jaime was not suppose to die at the end. Kenneth Johnson wanted to keep her alive, as he realized what an amazing character they had created and the story potential that existed. However, the biggest movie at the time was LOVE STORY, in which the main character dies, and one thing TV Execs love to do, is copy whatever is popular at the time. So against the protests of the writers and producers, the Network ordered the death of Jaime Sommers.

But then a couple of interesting things happened. One, the two parter Bionic Woman episodes were the highest rated in SMDM history and two, the network became bombarded with letters and phone calls to bring the character back!

So the Network then turned around and ordered the writers to resurrect Jaime Sommers and prepare her for a spin-off series.

So when we last saw our Bionic Heroine, she DEAD on the operating table.

Except, during the summer hiatus, ABC Executives stunned by the huge ratings of the Bionic Woman episode and the public demand for more, ordered the writers/producers of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN to resurrect the character of Jaime Sommers and prepare her for her own Spin-Off series.

But the TV producers had a bigger problem than just trying to figure out a way to bring Jaime back to life, they had to convince actress Lindsay Wagner to return to the role. For during this time, Wagner's contract with Universal had expired and she was a free agent. It took some convincing, but Wagner agreed to return, but she was able to negotiate a very lucrative contract, making her one of the highest paid tv actresses of the time.

The third season of SMDM opened with the two parter "THE RETURN OF THE BIONIC WOMAN", airing on September 14 and 21, 1975. Steve discovers that though Jaime did appear to die, but Rudy Wells' assistant Dr. Marchetti kept her alive through cryogenics until he could complete the life saving operation. A side effect of the procedure, Jaime's memory is impaired, with no recollection of her romance with Steve!

So the stage is set for the spin-off series.... Steve still loves Jaime, but she can not remember their love for each other. In fact, everytime Jaime attempts to remember her past with Steve, she suffers from extremely painful migraines, that threaten to trigger another bionic rejection! To complicate matters even further, Dr. Marchetti is in love with Jaime too! Oh the heart ache and drama!!!!:lol:

Jaime makes several cameos through the third season of SMDM, and then her own series is launched in the two part "WELCOME HOME JAIME", with part one airing as a SMDM episode on January 11, 1976 and the conclusion airing as the series pilot THE BIONIC WOMAN on January 14, 1976. Jaime returns to Ojai, and moves into a loft above Steve's parents house (turns out Steve's parents helped raise Jaime after her own parent died -- hhmmmm..... does that make them sort of brother and sister?:-o LOL!) and is set up as a school teacher at the local air force base with Oscar calling on Jaime when needed for OSI missions.

Lindsay Wagner had a lot input into the scripts of BW, in particular of how her character was portrayed. One of the biggest rules she had was Jaime only used her bionics to react to a threat or defend herself or others. Jaime never initiated the violence.

The First Season, which was 13 episodes, is overall excellent. Wagner brings so much charm, warmth and reality to the role. It is easy to see why ever male guest star would fall in love with her character. And quite a few young boy viewers at home too!;-)

My personal favorites....

THE DEADLY MISSILES -- Steve guest stars and Jaime performs the same metal post javelin gag as Steve from "Population Zero".

BIONIC BEAUTY -- Jaime enters the Miss United States Pageant to find some international smugglers. Wait til you hear her sing "FEELINGS" as part of her talent portion.... LOL! I love the 1970s!!!

JAIME'S MOTHER -- this is a good dramatic episode, we learn Jaime's mother and father were spies (of course they were!!!:-D LOL!) and now a mysterious woman arrives claiming to be Jaime's long dead mother.

MIRROR IMAGE -- Lisa Galloway is surgically altered to look just like Jaime in order to steal some OSI documents. She is later captured, and Jaime must then go undercover as her own doppelganger to discover who is behind evil scheme.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SEASON TWO:

The second season of the Bionic Woman commenced on September 22, 1976 with the first full on crossover team up episode THE RETURN OF BIGFOOT PART TWO (part one airing as the fourth season premiere of SMDM). Up to this point, the two series only featured brief cameos of our heroes in each other's series, this was the first time they worked as a team to defeat the badguy.

The second season is the strongest of the 3 season BW run, creative fatigue and behind the scenes drama had not yet begun to erode the quality of the series.

BW had a definite different vibe than SMDM, a more humane, real world kind of feel -- a regular girl next door thrown into an extraordinary situation sort of feel. This is due greatly to executive producer's Kenneth Johnson's creative approach, a quality he would bring to all his tv shows (Hulk, V, Alien Nation). Also, Lindsay Wanger's down to earth style really helped to anchor the series, even in some of more ludicrous plot lines.

One of the things I always found interesting was how Oscar Goldman was portrayed on BW. In SMDM, actor Richard Anderson was always dressed in suits and ties, very uptight, a bit more stern and urgent with Steve, even though he always called him "pal". While over on BW, Goldman is always dressed more casual, usually an open collar shirt with a sweater vest. He always called Jaime "Babe", and was much more gentle and supportive with Jaime than he was Steve. In fact, probably by todays standards, Oscar might find himself before a Senate Sub-committee to explain his "close relationship" with Jaime...LOL!
In fact, Richard Anderson has admitted in interviews that he always played Oscar like he was secretly in love with Jaime.

Another thing that set BW apart from SMDM was the music by composer Joe Harnell. It had a more lyrical, feminine energy to it. Harnell would continue his relationship with writer/producer Kenneth Johnson on his later project, including writing the classic "Lonely Man" theme from The Incredible Hulk series.

My favorites from the second season include....

THE RETURN OF BIGFOOT -- a very silly, over the top adventure with some of the worst sci-fi science EVER -- but seeing Steve and Jaime working together to stop the evil aliens from destroying the planet is great fun!

KILL OSCAR -- absolute favorite 3 part team up adventure of Steve and Jaime. Sure wish someone would make a fan edit of this.... oh wait...! LOL!

THE VEGA INFLUENCE -- this episode is really creepy and scared the poop out of me as a little kid. Has a zombie/pod people thing going on... spooky stuff. Also the last appearance of romantic rival Dr. Marchetti, a storyline that was pretty much abandoned in the first season.

JAIME'S SHIELD -- a two parter with Jaime going undercover as a police officer. A solid piece of entertainment.

DOOMSDAY IS TOMORROW -- this is a CLASSIC two part episode that perfectly captures everything the series was trying to be and a wonderful showcase for Lindsay Wagner -- by far, the BEST episode of the entire series run. Jaime has to find a way into stop a supercomputer from launching a nuclear attack on the world.

DEADLY RINGER -- a two parter sequel to the season one episode MIRROR IMAGE. Again, really good stuff going on throughout this adventure. I know Lindsay was nominated for an Emmy for this episode, though I can not remember if she won for it, or if her Emmy was from season one?

IRON SHIPS AND DEAD MEN -- this episode is great because it is the only real episode from either series where we explore the Oscar Goldman character more fully and learn more about his past history.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SEASON THREE:

So a lot of drama occurred behind the scenes between the end of season 2 and the beginning season 3. ABC cancelled THE BIONIC WOMAN even though it was still pulling a 30 share in ratings. Why was it cancelled then? Lot of theories abound, but no hard facts. The president of ABC Fred Silverman reportedly did not like Lindsay Wagner (reasons are vague) and felt the show was slipping in the demographics. Interestingly, after Silverman cancelled BW, he became president of NBC and then cancelled BW a second time! Conspiracy theories anyone? LOL!:eek:

Also, much like Lee Majors, Lindsay Wagner was not anxious to return for another season, as single lead action series are extremely exhausting. In fact, the creative production teams of both series were feeling the strain of running two bionic shows at once and were not enthused for another season. Also, matters were further complicated when Kenneth Johnson was effectively fired from the show early in the 3rd season, due to continued conflicts with Lindsay Wagner. Without Johnson's steady guiding hand, the quality in the episodes quickly devolved into lame and unoriginal spy/aliens/monster fare.:sad:

The moving to another network effectively brought the Steve and Jaime crossover episodes to an end, which really hurt both series but there was no way ABC was going to allow their leading man appear on the competing network. In fact, it took some extensive back room dealings to just secure Richard Anderson and Martin Brooks for continued appearances on both shows.

With no Steve Austin, the writers/producers introduced a new love interest for Jaime, rugged OSI agent Chris Williams (played by actor Christopher Stone). Their relationship was much more intimate than anything ever seen between Steve and Jaime, and while the Williams character was definitely modeled as a Steve replacement, I remember as a kid HATING HIM! Who was this bucko making moves on Steve's girl!!! LOL! :lol:

Unlike SMDM, BW actually got a bit of "closing final episode" with "ON THE RUN". Jaime, growing tired of endless OSI missions and feeling less and less human, decides to quit the spy business. But the OSI will not let her go quietly into the night and wants to put her in a spy retirement village (think the classic show The Prisoner). Jaime goes on the run, being pursued by various security agencies, and through her adventure finally comes to terms with her bionic identity and her future. While not meant as a series finale, it works nicely.

While there are not many, here my fave episodes from the final season....

THE BIONIC DOG -- the season three 2 part premiere (September 10, 1977) introduces us to Maximillion, the bionic german shepherd. This actually a very warm and touching story, and while aimed at a slightly younger audience, still holds up well and is very entertaining. This is also the only episode in the entire BW third season where Steve Austin is mentioned.

FEMBOTS IN LAS VEGAS -- another 2 parter... actually this episode is pretty bad... really, really bad.... but some nice bionic gags and... well.... actually that is about it.... okay, horrible episode, forget I mentioned it .... moving on....

ON THE RUN -- the final episode aired May 13, 1978 and yes, that is it, not much to recommend from the third season. Lots of goofy spy plots, and alien/UFO stories which are really bad--though a very young Helen Hunt appears in "Santuary Earth" as an alien princess.
...oh and the final episode features the only time Oscar says "I love you" to Jaime.

But yeah, the third season if pretty much forgettable and is a sad demise to a show that started out so strong and smart.

Next, I guess I will very briefly rant about the Bionic Woman remake from a couples years back.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sort of feel obligated to talk about the 2008 BIONIC WOMAN remake, but I pretty much detest this short lived disaster and don't really want to waste any energy on it. So like any good tv executive, I offer you instead a rerun of my comments from my Six Million Dollar Man thread.:p

I have pretty much gone on the record that I thought the reboot of BW was horrible.

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showth...W-BIONIC-WOMAN

It seemed to be a show that did not know what it wanted to be, and it suffered for it both on the screen and behind.

When I heard Michelle Ryan was casted, I was hopeful as I really like her as an actress having seen her in a lot of UK stuff. And the initial buzz on the pilot shown at ComicCon was extremely positive.

But the show had a lot strikes against it before it got out of the gate. The big one being the legal rights to both SMDM and BW were still being fought over in the courts. Thus, other than using the character name of "Jaime Sommers" and the term "Bionics", there is nothing in the new series that even remotely resembles the original show. (atleast nuBSG maintained the core elements of the original) Add to this the turmoil behind the scenes, as I think the show went through 2 or 3 showrunners during its brief run, thus each episode seem to be going in a different direction, characters introduced and dropped and no real sense of cohesion.

Rather trying to build upon it own already established unique pop culture identity, the producers seemed to want to make the show a copy of everything else that was popular at the moment.... angst, grim, gritty, large ensemble cast, conspiracies.... in particular, it seemed like it wanted to be a clone ofALIAS (a show I absolutely love!!!) which was still big at the time.

Plus, I found the character of Jaime Sommers as now written pretty much unlikeable. In fact, I found most of the characters unlikeable.

I place most of the blame for the failure of the new BW squarely on the shoulders of producer David Eick. It is clear to me in all the interviews I have read and watched, that he had no love or appreciation or basic understanding for the original show. I think he was just cashing in on the success of nuBSG and trying to repeat himself with another reboot. When in reality, it was not Eick that made nuBSG a great drama, but the writing and producing of his partner Ronald Moore, IMO.

Could the show have corrected itself and evolved into something really character driven and entertaining? Possible. With the right writers and a producer with a strong, clear vision anything is possible. Lots of tv shows have started off with very weak/bad first seasons and grown into wonderful entertainments.

ASX

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great thread Bob and would like to check out your edit of the classic Kill Oscar trilogy.

A couple years back, I too started an enhanced version of Kill Oscar:

Here's some screen grabs:

Batteredjaimebeforenafter.jpg

And sample clips I posted on youtube:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Nice work!!!

You should finish it and submit it to our site. One can never have enough bionic action! :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THANK YOU seciors for another wonderfully detailed review.

You made some interesting observations regarding the video. Even though both SMDM and BW were cleaned up by Time Life, there is a remarkable difference between the two shows. The BW episodes are very sharp, clean and brightly lit -- almost, as you noted, modern dvd quality. While the SMDM eps all retain a darker, grainier quality to them and look dated. I am uncertain why, though I assume it may be partly due to how the two shows were shot and lit. Or perhaps different companies remastered the episodes using different techniques? As I have noticed the audio is usually sharper on the BW dvds too.

The fuzzy fisheye video you noted is original to the material. There is no reason why they shot this scene this way, maybe to create the illusion of humid tropics? I have noticed many, many SixMill and BW eps will have scenes or angles shot in soft focus for not apparent reason, unless it is a dream or flashback. Just another oddity of 1970s tv. I did look for different footage to replace this shot, but could not find any to my satisfaction.

This is probably my favorite Bionic Adventure, as it is sheer comic book fun, and I am happy to see it is still getting some views.
Thanks again seciors! :)

Top Bottom