• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Premiere Pro vs Final Cut Pro

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry that I have been so inactive, but my computer passed away last friday :-(. So, I have moved to the world of mac and got an iMac. Now my problem is that I have to get a new editing software. I've narrowed it down to Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro 7. What do you guys recommend? I've heard that Premiere Pro is easier to learn, but I've never used either. Keep in mind that I'm coming from Sony Vegas. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've used both, but I am more comfortable with FCP. It might be because I've used it longer, but there are a few little quirks regarding Premiere I don't like. The big one is audio related. Depending on how you edit your 5.1 audio, if you do it in Premiere be prepared to drag and drop every single audio transition for each track. In FCP you can link tracks, so if you want want an audio dissolve on, say, five tracks you can drag and drop the transition and it affects all linked tracks. Want to make that dissolve 2 sec instead of one? Changing one affects all. In Premiere you have to do this all individually which is very time consuming IMO.

That said, FCP is a 32-bit program whereas the newer Premiere is 64-bit so it can be a little faster. And you didn't mention it, but I recommend staying away from FCP X as its still not ready for anything major.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I've used both, but I am more comfortable with FCP. It might be because I've used it longer, but there are a few little quirks regarding Premiere I don't like. The big one is audio related. Depending on how you edit your 5.1 audio, if you do it in Premiere be prepared to drag and drop every single audio transition for each track. In FCP you can link tracks, so if you want want an audio dissolve on, say, five tracks you can drag and drop the transition and it affects all linked tracks. Want to make that dissolve 2 sec instead of one? Changing one affects all. In Premiere you have to do this all individually which is very time consuming IMO.

That said, FCP is a 32-bit program whereas the newer Premiere is 64-bit so it can be a little faster. And you didn't mention it, but I recommend staying away from FCP X as its still not ready for anything major.

Thanks for all that info. I will probably go with Final Cut Pro 7 because I really love using 5.1 audio and I can't imagine having to add transitions for each track.

I tried out Final Cut Pro X in the store and it looked to me like a 200 dollar version of imovie which is unacceptable.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM Productions said:
Sorry that I have been so inactive, but my computer passed away last friday :-(.

:rip:

I'm a PC user and I use Vegas, so I got nothing to add except lame jokes.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
:rip:

I'm a PC user and I use Vegas, so I got nothing to add except lame jokes.

ahahaha! Your jokes will never be lame! :hug:

And I have no complaints about my computer, it did last approx 6 years haha!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
to play devil's advocate...

PP offers some sweet benefits in terms of integration with After Effects and Photoshop. Additionally, if you ever want to venture into HD, Encore (Adobe's version of DVD Studio Pro) is able to build menus for BluRay, which is something FCP 7 cannot do.

That said, I use FCP7. In terms of editing standard def projects, from beginning to end it's a wonderfully designed program, highly functional and represents over 10 years of non-linear editing software evolution.

You probably can't go wrong either way, they both have their trade-offs.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
to play devil's advocate...

PP offers some sweet benefits in terms of integration with After Effects and Photoshop. Additionally, if you ever want to venture into HD, Encore (Adobe's version of DVD Studio Pro) is able to build menus for BluRay, which is something FCP 7 cannot do.

That said, I use FCP7. In terms of editing standard def projects, from beginning to end it's a wonderfully designed program, highly functional and represents over 10 years of non-linear editing software evolution.

You probably can't go wrong either way, they both have their trade-offs.

I actually went back to the apple store and they taught me all about final cut pro. It's really not a hard software to learn.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM Productions said:
I actually went back to the apple store and they taught me all about final cut pro. It's really not a hard software to learn.

I'm really surprised they still have the software and are teaching FCP in the store. Last I heard they were only selling FCP if you called Apple and requested it, because they really want people to move to FCPX.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have used both Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro 7 and loved both. The compressor and DVD Studio Pro that comes with FCP are excellent. I have looked at the new Final Cut Pro X several times now, and I am completely unimpressed with its overall abilities. IMO, it is just iMovie on steroids, not practical for the hardcore editor.:)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I have looked at the new Final Cut Pro X several times now, and I am completely unimpressed with its overall abilities. IMO, it is just iMovie on steroids, not practical for the hardcore editor.:)

That seems to be the general consensus. A shame, really, considering how good FCP is. While I appreciate Apple wanting to keep things simple, there is also a thing of too simple.

geffyB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was a Final Cut user, I switched to Premiere. Not because it's a better program, FCPX really isn't inferior, but because Apple is moving away from the professional market. I want to use a product that needs my business, therefore will care when I complain. Add in Premiere's connection to After Effects (which I love) I really didn't have a choice :)

Darthwheels1942

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And to think, they had a COMPLETED version of FCP 8 in 64-bit that they abandoned for iMovie Plus X.

I may have to switch to Premier as well, and learn me some AfterEffects. Or Avid...?

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've read that Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 has brought back quite a few important features that professional editors that switched from FCP 7 missed in 10.0.0, like chromakeyer or the multicam-feature. And there seems to be an app available that can convert FCP7-projects to FCP X...

So maybe after another update or two it might become a real successor to FCP7, combining professional features, 64bit-speed and imovie-sort-of-ease of use.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Darthwheels1942 said:
And to think, they had a COMPLETED version of FCP 8 in 64-bit that they abandoned for iMovie Plus X.

I may have to switch to Premier as well, and learn me some AfterEffects. Or Avid...?

They depreciated the carbon API. Remember X is a complete rewrite in cocoa. It will take time to get back to where they were. All the "they only care about consumers" stuff was mostly journalism. I am sure they still care about hollywood and the massive amounts of money they spend.

I am not even sure how an 64 bit FCP 8 would have even worked, considering carbon was never 64 bit.

Top Bottom