• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Dollhouse: Extinction

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dhe_front.jpg

Fanedit Film Name: Dollhouse: Extinction
Brief Synopsis: In the future, the imprinting technology is rampant. A small group of survivors known as actuals stumble across what remain of the dollhouse. They are not ready for what they find.

Faneditor Name: Juice4z0
Original Film Name: Dollhouse
Studio Name: Fox
Genre: Science Fiction
Franchise: TV-to-Movie
Fanedit Type: True FanEdit
Original Running Time: ~94 Minutes
Original Release Date: 2008-2009
Fanedit Running Time: ~94 Minutes
Fanedit Release Date: 4/20/12
Amount of time cut.: ~10 Minuets cut and replaced with different footage

Intention & Edit Details: To take the Epitaph story line and correct the flashbacks and make them sync up with the actual events of season 2 yet remove the horrible season 2 end plot.

Cut-List:
106 - Man on the Street: Used the TV footage scattered throughout the episode to create the intro to the movie.
113 (Unaired)- Epitaph One: This episode is mostly intact. I have however swapped out most of the flashback memories with parts from season 2, as it stood the events shown in Epitaph One are not how they actually unfolded
204 - Belonging: I used a clip from this for a flash back to show how Sierra became a doll.
208 - A love supreme: Use a clip from this for a flash back to alpha and paul. Will not mention the scene due to spoilers.
209 - Stop Loss: Used a clip from this for a flashback to show more of victors backround
211- Getting Closer: I used a clip from this for a flashback to flesh out Caroline's past and show her hate for Rossum
213 - Epitaph Two: Return: This episode is mostly intact. This and 113 were used as the main base of the edit

Special Notes/Thanks: Special thanks to Yads for inspiring me to make this edit more than i originally planed

Technical Info:
Sony Vegas
DVD Architect
DVD Fab

Release information:
Dual Layer DVD
MKV

Special Features:
Feature-length commentary
Podcast of the Angell-juice show
Deleted Scenes
Trailers
Easter Egg

All right - I'm starting a download right now, after having cleared some space from my drive.

Usually there are a couple of options: NTSC and PAL, and maybe HD versions of both. Since I'm in America, I choose NTSC.

But this one has DL DVD and MKV. I'm guessing that "DL" means "dual-layer," but I'm not sure about MKV. A quick Google search says that it's "Matroska video format," but that still doesn't tell me much. Is it higher or lower res than DL?

I actually want the lower file version, because my computer can't handle very much. So the MKV is the one I'm downloading right now, because dual-layer sounds like it's a heavier file. Did I make the right choice?

Someone please let me know if, in the words of the knight from The Last Crusade, I "have chosen . . . wisely." :)

I don't download MKVs much, I usually stick with the DVD option, but the last one I downloaded was 3 gb. Don't know if that's average or not though.

The MKV file is 3.21GB and is high-def. The DL DVD is a much larger file size but lower picture resolution.

Neglify said:
The MKV file is 3.21GB and is high-def. The DL DVD is a much larger file size but lower picture resolution.

Huh. So what's the advantages of the DL DVD if it takes up more space and looks worse? (I'm confused - again.)

It doesn't look worse per se, it's just that it was an HD source and DVD is 720x480. But if you want a physical DVD to burn, you got the DVD. If you want an MKV to watch on your computer or PS3 there you go.

TomH1138 said:
Huh. So what's the advantages of the DL DVD if it takes up more space and looks worse? (I'm confused - again.)

It's just that you have several choices, indeed.

A "small sized" HD MKV means an HD movie that takes few space on your PC, but maybe with some compression default, like pixellate picture sometime. So you can enjoy HD, but it's not the best video quality ever.

A DL DVD means less resolution, but a near perfect video quality (if encoded well, of course). without much compression effect.

TomH1138 said:

It depends on your hardware and viewing setup. If you have a media player attached to your television, and it is a HDTV, then you go for the MKV. If you don't have a media player, then the DL DVD is the best choice for your setup.

Thanks for all of the clarification, folks!

I watched the MKV last night, and unfortunately it was horribly grainy and pixelated the whole time. Not sure if that was a problem with the file or with my computer setup. I'll try to post screencaps, as well as a review of the edit, later.

Odd that you would have grainy issues, multiple people have seen this edit and never once pointed that out, i screened the crap out of this edit before releasing it. Its not impossible but the mkv should be good.

TomH1138 said:
I watched the MKV last night, and unfortunately it was horribly grainy and pixelated the whole time. Not sure if that was a problem with the file or with my computer setup. I'll try to post screencaps, as well as a review of the edit, later.

Here are 5 screencaps I took from the released MKV.

64528252.png

70875156.png

79205974.png

20147456.png

20682892.png

Sure, there is some pixelation, but nowhere near what I personally would call "horrible". But that's my opinion.

definitely has some pixelation, but I agree this is not "horrible". Why is the resolution 800x450?

ThrowgnCpr said:
Why is the resolution 800x450?

Imageshack resizing. Original resolution of photos & MKV is 1280x720

Like at least 3 out of 5 of those screen shots are from where the image has been zoomed to hide the on screen credits.

But i had many people like neg, g1 and yads preview it and no one even mentioned a visual issue. But back to my main point, when you zoom half a screen of credits your going to get some pixelation.

Editing tv isn't like editing a movie, you have to make compromises, in this case a little visual quality in order to keep content.

OK. It must be something with my computer, then.

Because this is how it was when I watched it last night:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/tomh1138/?action=view&current=Dollhouse_screencap_1.jpg

Fortunately, most of the scenes took place in the dark, so it was watchable enough like this:

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...action=view&current=Dollhouse_screencap_2.jpg

But I guess it's some weird combination of things, because when I watched Dr. Jones and the Crystal Skull Mystery, it didn't do that.

At any rate, the review was always going to focus on the edit itself, not the fuzzy picture. I was just curious.

ummm, there is definitely a problem on your end there, I would say. I can't believe you sat through the movie like that!!! I'm surprised that VLC would do this, because it has it's own set of codecs and filters. Have you tried another media player?

Tom, that first pic is intentionally lower quality. It was meant to look shitty. Second pic shows that there is something wrong on your end. What player did you use?

Back
Top Bottom