• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

From Final Cut to MKV

Griff2015

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am working on my Back to the Future Chronological/Split-Screen edit (found here http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...Back-to-the-Future-Chronological-Split-Screen) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it out of Final Cut 7 and into the hands of the three people or so who are interested in seeing it. I figure the simplest way would be in an MKV file but Mac stuff does not lend itself to this format. Any suggestions on methods/software to get it done? There's slightly more info in my fanedit thread and I'll check back tonight after work to see if I need to be more specific.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
can't final cut output directly to mp4?

if you really need an MKV container, you can take the FC mp4 output and do pass-through video via MKVtools. handbrake can also take video_ts files and convert them into mp4 or MKV.

Griff2015

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, it can output to mp4 if that's what people prefer. I'm honestly just not sure which file formats/compressions are preferred in the community besides DVD. I wanted to make it as accessible as possible so I can try to do some sort of official release. Can MKVtools do separate audio tracks? I wanted to do a simple scene commentary and would prefer to have it all inhabit the same file.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mkvtools and mp4tools (same author, i believe) allow creation of video with multiple audio tracks.

but i would use another program altogether (perhaps FC) to create a commentary track, since neither mkvtools and mp4tools would let you edit audio while watching video. i don't know enough about FC to say whether you can directly output multiple audio tracks, but if FC allows you to do so, then you can skip using mkvtools/mp4tools.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MKV and MP4 are essentially the same thing, just different container names.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
MKV and MP4 are essentially the same thing, just different container names.

^ One important caveat to this is if the goal is to have the elementary video stream be avc/H.264. Many programs that allow you to render to an mp4 file are not rendering as this and are instead using a slightly older video format.

Griff2015

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll check out the options Final Cut is giving me for the encoding. I seriously doubt it'll let me do multiple audio tracks in one file, but i"ll dig around and check. Thanks everyone for the help!

Top Bottom