• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Haunted World Of Katie Featherston

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thehauntedworldofkatief.jpg

Fanedit Film Name: The Haunted World Of Katie Featherston
Fanedit Type: True Fanedit

Original Film Name: Paranormal Activity
Original Running Time: 86 minutes
Original Release Date: October 16th, 2009
Film Studio Name: Paramount

Edit Crew Name: Frantic Canadian
Fanedit Running Time: 74 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: April 2012
Amount of time cut: 12 minutes

Synopsis:
Meet Micah and Katie. On the surface they appear to be your average happy young couple, but in reality, they're living their lives in fear. Fear of a demon that's been haunting and following Katie since she was 8-years-old. Now, tired of living in fear, they decide to put a stop to this demon. But were they successful, or did the demon finally get what it was after? Now, thanks to footage discovered by the San Diego Police Department, you are about to find out.

Intention:
By cutting out pointless scenes where nothing happens I'm hoping to make the film a little scarier. I also wanted to make Micah less of an A-hole, and to give it more of a documentary film feel to it.

Edit Details:
I don't get scared by horror movies, but Paranormal Activity definitely gave me the creeps. And I'm not ashamed to say I actually jumped and screamed during the ending, and that has never happened to me before. My main problem was that there were too many unrelated and stupid scenes, and Micah came off as a real douchebag.

This was a real simple edit to do since a lot of scenes faded in and out, and there was no score or music at all. My only disappointment is that since only official releases can be used as source material I was unable to use the scene where Micah shows Katie the video of Diane from the Festival Cut. This scene is in the theatrical cut, but it's really short and you don't really see anything. The version shown in the Festival Cut, however, is longer and more explicit, you actually the see the video of the exorcism, and Katie's reaction is different. She appears way more freaked than in the theatrical cut.

Cut-List:
- Trimmed several seconds from the "Paramount would like to thank..." message at the beginning
- Micah filming his guitar and Katie while trying to get her to do a striptease for him
- Micah filming Katie in bed after Night #1
- Katie filming Micah in the pool, he keeps playfully giving her the finger
- Micah filming Katie in the bathroom getting ready for bed, then looking into the mirror as he makes fun of the psychic
- Micah trying to trick Katie into having sex with the camera on, then turning it off
- Micah turning the camera back on after sex and talking into it
- Micah taunting the demon by calling it out while he opens and closes the door that the demon open and closed the night before.
- Micah taunting the demon, telling him that he's nothing, and Katie giving him shit and telling him that it's time for bed
- Micah's EVP experiment
- Micah checking the recording of his EVP experiment
- Micah trying to apologize to Katie in the kitchen about the ouija board
- Micah's speech in front of the camera about Katie's rules, followed by them going to bed
- Night 16, nothing happens
- Katie and her friend talking on the couch, Micah saying that he has a plan
- Katie making, then drinking, coffee, saying that she needs a new life
- Katie trying to study but interrupted by Micah being a dick again, they fight
- Katie in bed saying that she doesn't want to leave and that it'll probably be okay now
- Trimmed the message at the end about Micah and Katie. Now the part about Katie appears pretty much instantly after the part
about Micah, instead of having to wait an extra 5 seconds or so for it to appear
- The copyright screen, followed by about a minute of black screen, followed by the end credits

Special Notes:
Thanks to Rogue-theX for creating the artwork, which is currently being worked on.

Fanedit details:

Video Format: DVD/VOB/MPEG2/720x480/16:9/NTSC
Audio Format: Dolby Digita 5.1
Subtitles: No
Extras: No
Size: 3.46 GB's

Tech Info:

Hardware and software information: DVD Fab, TMPGEnc DVD Author 3
Release details: NTSC SL DVD
Time needed for the edition: About an hour
Persons involved: Just me

Release Information:
Single Layer DVD

This edit should be available in a few days. I still need to upload it. Once I finish uploading it I will let everyone know and if you're interested in grabbing it before it gets posted to .info shoot me a PM and I'll be more than happy to send you the links.

My bad. :lol: I can never remember if the hyphen goes before the "the" or before the "X". Fixed now. :)

Frantic Canadian said:
This edit should be available in a few days. I still need to upload it. Once I finish uploading it I will let everyone know and if you're interested in grabbing it before it gets posted to .info shoot me a PM and I'll be more than happy to send you the links.

Sounds like an interesting approach... I can agree I don't often get scared in movies but jumped myself at the ending... There were a lot of unnecessary scenes and a faster paced cut may indeed come across scarier...

Looking forward to viewing this.... PM will be sent when you confirm it's been uploaded Frantic...

Keep up the great work...

All parts have now been uploaded. PM me for the links if interested.

Edit has now been submitted so hopefully it'll be on site next week, although since it's technically Friday now it might not show up until the week after.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. This was a very simple edit with many small cuts and trims. Overall the pacing is much improved. It's still pretty much the same movie, nothing too drastic done to change it, but the cuts did help make it flow better. As well, trimming Micah's douchiness makes him much more likable and I can feel sorry for him at the end now.

Fanedit Rating. 8/10
(Fanedit rating focuses on technical and creative criteria that pertain specifically to the scope and depth of changes made from the source material by the faneditor.)

Movie Rating. 8.5/10 (Original is 7.5/10.)
(Movie rating judges on traditional criteria of quality/enjoyment as if this were an original theatrical release being seen for the first time.)

OVERALL RATING 8/10

Thanks for the review Neglify, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Is there anything you felt that should have been cut, or that I should have left in?

Tough call. I think you achieved what you wanted to, making it feel even more like a real documentary.

Cool. I wasn't sure if that was coming across or not. And since you didn't mention it I just wanted to point out that I didn't cheap out when it came to the menu. I intentionally made it as bare as possible to mimic the menu on the official release.

Frantic Canadian said:
Cool. I wasn't sure if that was coming across or not. And since you didn't mention it I just wanted to point out that I didn't cheap out when it came to the menu. I intentionally made it as bare as possible to mimic the menu on the official release.

I totally got that feeling with the DVD presentation. Worked really well.

Frantic gave me an advance copy of this as well to watch.... My girlfriend actually watched it first and really liked the pacing of it better..

I finally sat down to watch it last night and can fully agree (keeping in mind I've always been a fan of the original) that taking out those 12 minutes not only made the movie more enjoyable but helped immensely with the pacing... It seemed like it was a pretty easy edit as far as trimming goes as most of the scenes in the original are fade cuts anyways but it was pretty seamless.. Video/Editing Fanedit Rating 8.5/10

If you're a fan of the original then I'm pretty sure you'll find this a more enjoyable watch... The 12 minutes removed really makes a difference and yes Micah comes off as a generally nicer guy (for the most part)... The flow of the picture is improved without feeling rushed... Movie Rating 8.5/10

OVERALL RATING 8.5/10

I too liked the bare bones menu and had no issues with it... Just waiting for decent Artwork and this is going up in the DVD shelving unit...

QuickCut said:
Does this not work for you? :-?

Since the edit hadn't been put on the site proper yet, Whispers was probably not aware that the page existed.

Well, yeah, I know. I was just pointing it out.

QuickCut said:
Well, yeah, I know. I was just pointing it out.

The :-? was kinda unneeded. It made it look like Whispers was dissing Rogue's cover, but he wasn't.

Neglify said:
The :-? was kinda unneeded. It made it look like Whispers was dissing Rogue's cover, but he wasn't.

Oh, fine. Edited.

Back
Top Bottom