• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Advice to New Editors

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I decided to write this thread after seeing some new editors having trouble getting their first fanedit approved. This is general advice just from my own point of view on how to make a smooth entrance to the community.

This is somewhat of a supplemental thread to The Rules of Fanediting by Jorge.

1) Be a member of the community, not just an editor.

Here two examples, both based off real members (who won't be named).

Member A had been a member of this site since 2008. He contributed a lot to forums over the years and made a lot of friends here. In 2011 he released an edit he had been working on for a while. The edit was approved a day after being released.

Member B had also been a member here for a long time, but never contributed much to forums. He mainly discussed his own edits he was making. None of his edits were ever approved. Then one day he got fed up with nobody paying attention to him and blamed the site for not caring about his edits.

I'm not saying that being an active forum member will automatically get your edit approved. And reversely, I'm not saying that if you're not an active member, your edits will never be approved. But, being a good member of the community can help you along the way.

Summarized more succintly by geminigod:
Contribute to the site as a student first in order to become a better faneditor later.

2) Watch as many fanedits as you can.

(Of course, you need to own the original films to watch a fanedit.)

What makes a good fanedit? What makes a fanedit different from the original movie? What types of fanedits are really popular? What types of fanedits do people not pay much attention to? Has ______ idea already been done?

All these questions can be answered by watching fanedits already available and seeing how well people have responded to them.

Plus, if you've never seen a fanedit, or only saw 1 or 2, trying to make your own fanedit will be a rough road.

3) Read up on the technical forums.

The technical side of fanediting isn't the easiest thing. It can be very difficult at times. It doesn't have to be, though.

If you're having a technical problem with your edit, do not immediately start a new thread about it. Read through the existing threads in the Technical Forum. Your question may already be answered there.

4) Be open to suggestions and criticism.

Not everybody is going to love your edit. Some may give suggestions on how to make it better. Some may criticize it. Be willing for this happen.

5) Get your edit previewed before you submit it.

Getting your edit viewed by someone else is essential. A fresh pair of eyes can catch errors you may not have noticed. It's better to spend a lot of time tweaking the edit before it's submitted. You don't want the edit disapproved because of errors that could have been easily fixed.

6) Create interest in your edit, but don't bash us over the head.

Make a trailer for your edit. Make some cover art. But if nobody responds as enthusiastically as you'd want, don't worry about it.

7) Submit the edit properly.

The Submission Form is the proper way to submit it.

8) Be patient.

Your edit may not get watched right away. Don't get discouraged or upset about it.

-Added by Gatos:

Fanediting is a time consuming process. Once you get the hang of your editing software and all the steps involved you can eventually get projects completed at quite a quick pace BUT slow and steady is always better in my opinion.

Speaking for myself, when I first got started in fanediting I was super enthusiastic. I was lucky enough to recruit a forum member as my mentor and along the way garnered knowledge and advice from other members as well. But I had an idea and I was anxious for the world to see it! I couldn't wait. But a wise man once said "Aim for perfection." So it was a struggle (and still is) to take my time, take a step back, and not settle.

You only release your edit once (unless its not initially approved). So there is no point in rushing only to put out a fanedit that in retrospect has you saying "ah I wish I had done this, or left out that etc." There is no point in being lazy. For as many kind and generous critics on here we have plenty of harsh critics. And while you can't please everyone you can certainly avoid getting chewed out for subpar technical quality of your edit by not settling and being patient.

I have been a victim of this myself. There are at least one of two things in each one of my edits which make me cringe and stand out as instances of "shoulda, woulda, coulda".

Learn from my mistakes!

9) If at first you don't succeed, learn from your mistakes. Don't keep making the same mistakes.

Did your first edit have a lot of technical errors? Read up on the Technical Forums and learn how to perfect your skills.

Did the edit's plot not make sense? Work on telling a story without confusing the audience.

Making the same mistakes might make one think you're a lazy editor. We don't want that. While we don't expect every fanedit to be 100% perfection, we want good quality edits, both technically and story-wise.

(From Sunarep)
10) Be content with what you have made.

Remember fanedits are not for commercial gain, they are a way to express yourself. So never worry if some people might not like the changes you are doing - there have been a lot of times when drastic changes have actually been greeted with enthusiasm (even though they might not have been if the editor just announced his decisions).

Bottom line is that you are first and foremost working on something you should like. So if there is something that has always bugged you, you are in the position to remove it.

Will it upset people? Maybe, but who cares? Who knows maybe people opposed to your changes are actually just a minority and the other large part will appreciate a bold cut.

To all you new editors, I wish you luck and I hope this has helped.

10) Be content with what you have made
Remember fanedits are not for commercial gain, they are a way to express yourself. So never worry if some people might not like the changes you are doing - there have been a lot of times when drastic changes have actually been greated with enthusiasm (even though they might not have been if the editor just announced his decisions)
Bottom line is that you are first and foremost working on something you should like. So if there is something that has always bugged you, you are in the position to remove it.
Will it upset people? Maybe, but who cares? Who knows maybe peopel oposed to your changes are actually just a minority and the other large part will appreciate a bold cut

Nice post Neg.

Some of you might now be thinking to yourself that you shouldn't have to bribe your way into getting feedback and approval. If you are thinking that, please stop. You have engaged in a deception with yourself that hurts you and potentially others around you, much like the student who blames everyone and everything except himself for getting an F.

That said, Here is a little secret about human nature. Even assholes such as myself who care more about honesty & integrity & bla-bla than they do about friendship are silly little creatures who can be easily influenced. You probably won't influence your way up to a 10/10 with me but I would be lying if I didn't admit it might mean the difference between a 6 vs. 7 or 7 vs 8. Here is another little secret. Your teachers, your employers, & every other critic in your life are the same way. Some folk will (unfortunately IMO) even favor personal relationships over performance. Welcome to the real world.

I can definitely say for myself that if I am on the fence about watching someone's edit, there is a much greater probability of giving theirs a chance if I know that they have rated and reviewed my edits. It is quite pathetic how few people bother to review and rate the edits here! Rating only takes a few seconds! Personally, I was not a huge forum contributor prior to my first edit, but I had been rating and reviewing movies here on .info for years. If you can't be critical of other people's edits, what chance do you have of being critical of your own?

One last thing. This might sting a little for folk who feel like they have been rated too harshly, but IMO this site is usually way too soft on ratings because most folk really go out of their way here to be friendly and constructive as well as critical. The cold truth is that average ratings here overshoot reality more often than they undershoot. The average rating difference oftentimes between an amateur looking fanedit and a professional one is 7/10 vs. 8/10.

I would love to see an overhaul to the rating system in some way to address this, but more importantly I would love to see an increased rating participation. You can do this. Contribute to the site as a student first in order to become a better faneditor later.

geminigod said:
Contribute to the site as a student first in order to become a better faneditor later.

This line is perfect for how I was trying to word my first point. I'm adding that.

Well said, well said.... i agree with everything you said man

Why isn't this a Sticky Threat? It should be!

g1orkatsos said:
Why isn't this a Sticky Threat? It should be!

Lol. I personally consider anything sticky to be a threat.

geminigod said:
Lol. I personally consider anything sticky to be a threat.

That's what she said?

Man, this threat was all serious on page 1...

Wow, i'm just a dumb noob, but you guys seem so cool and nice and awesome! Can we all be BFF?

My two cents (this may be a potential rehash of some of the previous comments on the thread).

Be patient: Fanediting is a time consuming process. Once you get the hang of your editing software and all the steps involved you can eventually get projects completed at quite a quick pace BUT slow and steady is always better in my opinion.

Speaking for myself, when I first got started in fanediting I was super enthusiastic. I was lucky enough to recruit a forum member as my mentor and along the way garnered knowledge and advice from other members as well. But I had an idea and I was anxious for the world to see it! I couldn't wait. But a wise man once said "Aim for perfection." So it was a struggle (and still is) to take my time, take a step back, and not settle.

You only release your edit once (unless its not initially approved). So there is no point in rushing only to put out a fanedit that in retrospect has you saying "ah i wish i had done this, or left out that etc." There is no point in being lazy. For as many kind and generous critics on here we have plenty of harsh critics. And while you can't please everyone you can certainly avoid getting chewed out for subpar technical quality of your edit by not settling and being patient.

I have been a victim of this myself. There are at least one of two things in each one of my edits which make me cringe and stand out as instances of "shoulda,woulda, coulda".

Learn from my mistakes! ;-)

Good stuff Gatos. I added it to the original post.

Back
Top Bottom