• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

"Jaws" gets a Blu-Ray restoration!

It's about time! I wonder if it'll be one of those book-type ones like The Shawshank Redemption, Se7en, and Midnight Express.

I think maybe because of TMBTM, I kinda like the video being a bit aged looking now. But still cool news.

If i had the money, i would spend my entire life restoring films that wouldn't get this treatment and had a limited audience/appeal.

As long as it has the original sound mix and not the INSULTING remix currently on the DVD, it's good news.

That's an amazingly interesting video right there.
Did that guy really say they're restoring 100 films for their 100th anniversary???? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Also, are there any documentaries on DVD or Blu Ray that explain restoration? Kind of like this video did, but only in much greater depth?
If anyone knows, please PM me. I think it's an interesting process to learn from :)

Kal-El said:
That's an amazingly interesting video right there.
Did that guy really say they're restoring 100 films for their 100th anniversary???? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Also, are there any documentaries on DVD or Blu Ray that explain restoration? Kind of like this video did, but only in much greater depth?
If anyone knows, please PM me. I think it's an interesting process to learn from :)

According to the special features section, yes. Among a few very interesting-looking documentaries, one of them is "Jaws: The Restoration - an all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie."

QuickCut said:
According to the special features section, yes. Among a few very interesting-looking documentaries, one of them is "Jaws: The Restoration - an all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie."

Unfortunately it appears that the restoration documentary, and The Shark Is Still Working documentary, are the only new special features. The other ones are all included on the 30th Anniversary DVD release.

I meant film restoration documentaries in general QC, not about Jaws per sé :-D
Plus, I already saw that feature :)

I'm psyched! but always get weary when people claim to be "restoring" and then talk about all the changes they are making - in this case the 7.1 upmix - thats cool and all but I hope that theres the option for the original [even if restored] mix.

too many films get botched digitally when they get the new whiz bang restoration job. that scene in the ships cabin has me worried as it looks like they are digitally altering the view through the window. sure it wont be a cloud city scenario but its still a digital addition - unless i am misunderstanding.

also I dont think 100 films are being restored - i think 100 are being reissued and of the 100, 13 are being restored - unless my ears are playing tricks again.

edit - yeah he says that they are releasing 100 films and 13 of the classic titles are getting restored on a film level - of which jaws is one.
anyone know the other 12?

QuickCut said:

That video clip is pretty dang cool talking about the restoration process. How refreshing to hear words like "cultural heritage." My respect for Universal just went up.

Sweet video, they do have some fancy looking toys at Universal don't they.

elbarto1 said:
edit - yeah he says that they are releasing 100 films and 13 of the classic titles are getting restored on a film level - of which jaws is one.
anyone know the other 12?

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Birds
Buck Privates
Dracula (1931)
Dracula Spanish (1931)
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Jaws
Out of Africa
Pillow Talk
Schindler’s List
The Sting
To Kill a Mockingbird

The old 1920s - 1930s movie restorations look awesome, really looking forward to those and All Quiet on the Western Front especially.

EDIT: All Quiet was released Feb 2012.

I have a bad feeling about this... I fear I will be spending some money. I want just about every movie on that list with proper film restored video & audio on blu-ray!

I am so fed up with buying old movies on blu-ray that are shitty cheap converts.

Brumous said:
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Birds
Buck Privates
Dracula (1931)
Dracula Spanish (1931)
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Jaws
Out of Africa
Pillow Talk
Schindler’s List
The Sting
To Kill a Mockingbird

The old 1920s - 1930s movie restorations look awesome, really looking forward to those and All Quiet on the Western Front especially.

EDIT: All Quiet was released Feb 2012.

Ehhhhhh that video makes me nervous. Fixing jitter caused by damaged film is one thing, but stabilizing the original camera movement is bad in my book.

Picked this beauty up today. worth every penny. although I really wish they included the recent [2010] documentary "jaws the inside story" as it was really good and IMO superior to the "the shark is still working" doc. but regardless, its a great looking restoration. keep your 30th edition dvds though as some content didnt make the journey.

I got this in the mail yesterday, but since I don't get my mail at school over the summer I'm gonna have to wait until the weekend to dig in. And I can't wait. The pictures I've seen of the restoration are gorgeous. It's pretty spiffy how nice a film from the 70s can still look.

Back
Top Bottom