If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

ST - Star Trek
^ Well at least this time it's meant to be silly. The Holodeck waste removal gag does address a problem with the whole Holodeck concept that was always too disgusting to contemplate Big Grin .
It is always a bad sign when a long running series or franchise descends into self-parody.

I would rather watch THE ORVILLE -- a comedy with heart and classic Trek allegory.

I much rather see a "serious" animated Trek series.  One of my favourite new animated sci-fi series is Star Blazers 2199/2202, and would love to see Trek go in this direction cartoon-wise.  

Seriously, with animation there is no limits.  You don't have to worry about budget or actors aging.  You could set an animated series post-TNG and have characters from TNG, DS9 and VOY are working together.   Or go the Star Trek Online route, which has done some amazing storylines.  Or go back and wrap up Enterprise.   The possibilities are endless.

Instead we get this....   Dodgy Confused Sad
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 3 users Like bionicbob's post
^ Hear, hear. This looks like it could easily be a lame-o live-action comedy a la Powerless. The animation format is clearly a matter of budget, not necessity.
I was looking forward to Lower Decks and this preview looks exactly like I hoped it would. Sorry it's not what you want.
[+] 1 user Likes asterixsmeagol's post
An interesting view point....

While I do not think it is the best of the entire Trek Movie franchise, it certainly my favourite of the Kelvin flicks.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 1 user Likes bionicbob's post
(07-19-2020, 09:23 PM)bionicbob Wrote: While I do not think it is the best of the entire Trek Movie franchise, it certainly my favourite of the Kelvin flicks.

I agree. I don't think that it even comes close to the best of the original movies, but I do consider it to be better than the first two Kelvin movies by far.

The main thing that, for me, holds it back from being as satisfying as I would have liked is Krall. Based on his line "This is where the frontier pushes back" in the trailers, I had hoped that he would have grievances that provided a genuine challenge to the ideals of the Federation. It would have been interesting to see a battle of ideas where both the pro-Federation and anti-Federation sides make good points and have their pros and cons. (Think along the lines of "Captain America: Civil War".) But instead, he doesn't have much depth, and comes across as a sort of shallow strawman opponent to the Federation.
Courage, men! we've not sunk before, and we'll not sink now!
[+] 1 user Likes hbenthow's post
A fun Trek down memory lane...

[+] 1 user Likes Gaith's post
This is one of the better fan FX reels I've seen. With some sharper matte lines, less of a modern blue tint and if they hadn't gone with super glowy windows, it would be pretty convincing as 80s/90s practical FX work:

[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
[Image: LCARS.png]
[+] 4 users Like Gaith's post
COVID-19 Pandemic YouTube: "When Actors Get Bored" Edition

[+] 1 user Likes Gaith's post