• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Pulitzer Prize winning author Michael Chabon has been named show runner for the PICARD series.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-picard-michael-chabon-showrunner-1203254625/

Fascinating.

Since your post was from two days ago, I expect he's already been fired and replaced with Alex Kurtzmann. :D

At last Mike and Rich wearily analyze S2 of Discovery:

Watching S2, I was too disinterested to pay as much attention as they did too the utter nonsense of the plotting and the idiot logic of many of the ideas. It sounds like a total shambles when they lay it all out like that.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
bionicbob said:
Pulitzer Prize winning author Michael Chabon has been named show runner for the PICARD series.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-picard-michael-chabon-showrunner-1203254625/

Fascinating.

Since your post was from two days ago, I expect he's already been fired and replaced with Alex Kurtzmann. :D

The weird thing is PICARD has been filming for TWO MONTHS already with Kurtzman in charge and now Chabon has been promoted mid-production?  More behind the scenes chaos???  

Watching S2, I was too disinterested to pay as much attention as they did too the utter nonsense of the plotting and the idiot logic of many of the ideas. It sounds like a total shambles when they lay it all out like that.

So I recently did a rewatch of season two.  As you know I was pretty much all praises on the first watch until the season two part finale.  It was a highly fun, emotionally manipulative season.   However, once you know how it ends/pays off, the cracks and gaping holes in the set-up/season arc become glaringly obvious.   Discovery is too focussed on trying to win/trick your heart than your brain.  

I have never had a season finale sour my feelings so much.  I actually found it insulting and maddening.  Which is too bad, because if you remove the actual season arc element, the majority of the season two episodes were still great fun.  No where near as smart or intelligent or logical to thought provoking as NexGen or DS9, or even ENT, but still very good escapist entertainment.  But with the amount of money, talent and time they have invested in this series, it should be infinitely better.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The weird thing is PICARD has been filming for TWO MONTHS already with Kurtzman in charge and now Chabon has been promoted mid-production?  More behind the scenes chaos???  

I've heard alleged leaks claiming that the early test screenings for "Picard" were downright disastrous (some people supposedly even walked out), leading to Kurtzman's duties being taken over by Chabon in an attempt to salvage the production. Allegedly, Kurtzman is going to have little to no creative control over any Star Trek shows from now on, with the only reason that he hasn't been openly fired being that CBS wants to save face.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
84fdc2175f366aa7e18aa071b975f3f0.JPG

To commemorate the moon landings, the BBC's long running 'Radio Times' magazine reprinted a pull out replica of their articles from the week of the mission, including:

48259329037_23cdfe0582_c.jpg

I look forward to following the adventures of the Vulcanian character played by Leonard Ninoy.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting to see that the U.K. at least started airing the original show with it's Shatner-led 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' pilot episode to begin with.  Of course, the BBC then messed up the production order after that, and actually missed some episodes out and censured some stuff out during it's initial run here, from what I've read. 

Anyway, here's some of Quentin's latest comments about what he's got in mind for his big screen shenanigans -

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tarantinos-trek-is-pulp-fiction-in-space/

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched the Picard preview, but I watched Mike and Rich discuss it, and... oh, boy.

A Logan rehash? A Borg princess? Will they be able to nab Bob Beltran?! I hope the series itself doesn't suck... :p

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
bionicbob said:
THE ORVILLE season three is being delayed until 2020, and it is moving from FOX to HULU...
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-orville-season-three-delayed-moving-from-fox-to-hulu/

With the Disney purchase of the FOX network, it was only a matter of time before FOX shows started being shuffled to other Disney owned services or cancelled.

Disney does not own the FOX tv network, they only bought the production studios and the libraries.

My mistake.   :shy:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, it's precisely because Disney didn't buy the Fox network that some of the high-profile shows they produce are being shuffled to Disney-owned services instead. So Bob is about half-right.  :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
So Bob is about half-right.  :)

Yeah, that is what my wife says too.... or was that half-wit...? :p

The Orville is produced by 20th Century Fox Television (and MacFarlane's company) which is now owned by Disney.
And HULU is currently controlled by Disney, which will own it wholly in 5 years.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got my backer's copy of WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND today in the mail!!!!!!
Happy dance time!!!

d66a87bf591f52bbcf535621cb5c9827.gif

Went immediately to the Bonus Features... about 1hr45minutes of deleted stuff and extra interviews, plus a trivia track for the doc.
Great stuff!   Though still so much not covered or discussed!!!  Not complaining.  It is just soooooo good, that I want MORE!!! lol
Apparently still tons of cut footage, maybe they will release a sequel?
Anyway, a wonderful doc and must have for DS9 fans.
:D

...a sample deleted scene...

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In an old box of my father's stuff, I came across Shadows on the Sun, and Enterprise The First Adventure. He says they're good so I'll check them out soon. Is anyone familiar with these? Are they popular and I just hadn't heard of them, or are they fairly obscure? Are there any other recommendations for Star Trek books?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went to see The Motion Picture in theaters today for the 40th anniversary. While the movie is beautiful, the pacing isn't great for the first 2/3 of the film. It would be fun to watch this re-cut as a "lost pilot" for Star Trek: Phase II, breaking it into two 45-ish minute episodes split with Ilia getting scanned by the probe and re-emerging in her quarters. There's even a semi-recap with Kirk, Spock, and McCoy watching her interactions with Decker on screen right after that which could follow a brief "previously on Star Trek" clip. I would also re-frame the whole thing into 4:3 and insert a new opening sequence with the Phase II title and the refit Enterprise. Ideally also all of the uniforms would be recolored to replace the white/blue/tan color scheme with gold/blue/red scheme of TOS (like they did in the first screen tests), but that would be a ridiculous amount of work.
persis-khambata-as-illia.jpg
 ​

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was already mentioned in the Obituaries thread, but deserves repeating here.
Trek Movie said:
Aron Eisenberg of ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ Dies At Age 50, Fans Mourn

It is with deep sadness that we report that actor Aron Eisenberg died last night.  His wife, Malissa Longo, posted the tragic news along with this moving tribute on Facebook.

We don’t yet know the cause of death, but Eisenberg has had two kidney transplants. Friends and family are raising money to help offset the costs of his funeral.

Eisenberg played Nog on all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine, and guest-starred as a young Kazon in the Voyager episode “initiations.” He also hosted two video podcasts about the series, one with Voyager‘s Garrett Wang and Big Brother‘s”Evel Dick” Donato, and another with his DS9 buddy Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) called The 7th Rule. He was also a talented photographer, and a devoted husband and father.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
This was already mentioned in the Obituaries thread, but deserves repeating here.
Trek Movie said:
Aron Eisenberg of ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ Dies At Age 50, Fans Mourn

It is with deep sadness that we report that actor Aron Eisenberg died last night.  His wife, Malissa Longo, posted the tragic news along with this moving tribute on Facebook.

We don’t yet know the cause of death, but Eisenberg has had two kidney transplants. Friends and family are raising money to help offset the costs of his funeral.

Eisenberg played Nog on all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine, and guest-starred as a young Kazon in the Voyager episode “initiations.” He also hosted two video podcasts about the series, one with Voyager‘s Garrett Wang and Big Brother‘s”Evel Dick” Donato, and another with his DS9 buddy Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) called The 7th Rule. He was also a talented photographer, and a devoted husband and father.

:(  Rest in peace.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The late Aron Eisenberg from What We Leave Behind....

Top Bottom