• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stage 9 TNG Bridge Reconstruction update

Gaith said:
609797-star-trek-stage-9-enterprise-fan-project.jpg

Wow, some beautiful work there. Seems as though every few years a project like this springs up, only to fade into obscurity. I remember back in '15, The AV Club profiled a similar effort called the EnterpriseD 3D Project, which has a very nice web site and blog... that hasn't been updated in 2+ years. (Apparently CBS got on his case; he was probably the guy the Stage 9 FAQ says "was asking for donations to pay his salary so he could continue making it, and the owners of Star Trek didn’t like THAT part of it.") It does surprise me that such a fan-made project wasn't made years ago.

(And I still want my digital recreations of San Francisco's Worlds Fairs, damnit! :p )

Sad, but not terribly surprising: CBS has killed this fan project also, despite there not being anything remotely similar licensed product on the market for fans to purchase and enjoy. :mad:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting brief history of the mismanagement of Star Trek toy licensing and worth watching for the funny sketch at the end:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mike and not-Jay present a surprisingly compelling defense of The Motionless Picture:

Sorry, guys, but there simply is not, and never will be, any excuse for those costumes.  :p

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A very informative recent interview with Nicholas Meyer, in which he talks about "The Wrath of Khan", "The Voyage Home", "The Undiscovered Country", "Discovery", the possible new Khan miniseries, and the history of his career as a writer and director.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No DS9 xmas present for me this year.....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztEgRsTD0KQ[/video]

...but I know it is worth the wait!!!!  :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me or does Alfred Newman's theme for the 1950 film 'All About Eve' sound a little bit Trek-ish? (skip to the faster arrangement at 4.05):

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonderful movie, wonderful theme and yes, it does definitely sound quite a bit Star Trek-ish!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RMB discusses "The State of Star Trek Today"...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OTNwstoTY[/video]

Maybe because we are about the same age, I found his observations and comments are almost identical to my own.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Balance of Terror today and found it pretty boring unfortunately.  I liked the ending, and as in all the episodes I watched thus far, I liked the ending.  Nonetheless, I later watched Charlie X (not in my list) and I loved it.  Probably the best directed episode I saw up to now, and sits right under with my favourite The Conscience of the King.

I'm slowly letting go of the list, and am planning to watch Arena next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was looking at Marlon Brando's Wikipedia page and his profile pic gave me a photoshop idea. Spot the difference:

39887692463_e68e7a1f8c_c.jpg

Well wouldn't that have been fun :D .

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I coulda been a Starfleet officer...I mean, a contender."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very nicely edited compilation of the Star Trek OG films (love how it ends :D ):

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
10 things Star Trek does BETTER than Star Wars....

https://screenrant.com/10-things-star-trek-better-star-wars/

Not much argument from me on this one. Trek definitely wins in terms of Science, Morality, Dialogue, Romance, Diversity, Character Dynamics and Social Themes. Realism is a bit of a wash between the two, they're both space opera fiction. And I think Star Wars is actually utilizing JJ Abrams better. JJ's nuTrek is too flashy, whereas JJ's nuWars is more balanced. They say that JJ made Star Trek more like Star Wars, but his time in the Trek universe helped make Star Wars more sophiscated.

Villains I'm not so sure about. Khan and the Borgs are the only real iconic bad guys (in my mind), although because their universe has more depth you have a wider range of antagonist groups, such as Klingons or Romulans et cetera. In a galaxy far, far away the villains are more awesome (even though most of them are terribly written). Vader, Palpatine, Darth Maul, General Grievous, Tarkin, Krennic, Boba Fett, Kylo Ren, Snoke.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone watching season two of Next Generation....oops... I mean, THE ORVILLE?  LOL

I did a binge/catch up watch this weekend, and WOW! the jump in quality is exponential from last season!

The non sequitur potty/fart humour has been toned down and become much more character/situation based, and thus more organic and funnier.

But the dramatic component has improved... well, dramatically.  The stories they are telling are pure Trek, tackling social, political and cultural issues in the way only Trek can, but in a much more direct manner for modern audiences.

And with it's last episode, "IDENTITY PART ONE", the show had it's BEST OF BOTH WORLDS moment, and went from being a silly Star Trek parody to an excellent dramedy satire in its own right.

So if you abandoned the series after its first season, you may want to go back and revisit it.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I did a binge/catch up watch this weekend, and WOW! the jump in quality is exponential from last season!

The non sequitur potty/fart humour has been toned down and become much more character/situation based, and thus more organic and funnier.

But the dramatic component has improved... well, dramatically.  The stories they are telling are pure Trek, tackling social, political and cultural issues in the way only Trek can, but in a much more direct manner for modern audiences.

And with it's last episode, "IDENTITY PART ONE", the show had it's BEST OF BOTH WORLDS moment, and went from being a silly Star Trek parody to an excellent dramedy satire in its own right.

So if you abandoned the series after its first season, you may want to go back and revisit it.

I agree. Season 1 also had some great episodes and a lot of social commentary in the style of classic Star Trek (especially "Majority Rule", which is a great exploration of an issue that's very relevant to current times), but the show is growing more into a more ideal version of itself overall, and "Identity: Part One" was the "this is starting to go somewhere very interesting" moment.

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" took a while to find its footing as well. I have a suspicion that the focus on crude humor on "The Orville" in the beginning was due to fears that people wouldn't try out a Seth McFarlane show without seeing the same style of humor that they were used to getting from his other material.

One thing that I especially like about "The Orville" that doesn't get mentioned much is the music. It's pure 1980s-1990s-style Star Trek music. It's a breath of fresh air in an era when most television music is much blander than it was a few decades ago.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
One thing that I especially like about "The Orville" that doesn't get mentioned much is the music. It's pure 1980s-1990s-style Star Trek music. It's a breath of fresh air in an era when most television music is much blander than it was a few decades ago.

I totally agree!!!  The music is great and I love how they sneak in riffs from other movies.  Identity Part One has lots of Jerry Goldsmith's V'Ger cues and part two was definitely channelling John Williams for the epic space battle.  I may have to pick up the soundtrack.

I can not help reflect on what you are and are not allowed to get away with when you slap the label "PARODY" on a project.  The Orville is so clearly Star Trek, but because it is parody they can essentially take another company's IP and PROFIT from it.

But if fans want to play in the Star Trek sandbox and make their own loving NON-PROFIT fan film, they have to obey a set of very restrictive guidelines or face possible legal action.  Thanks Alex Peters.

Seems unfair somehow.... :(

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...minor update on the DS9 documentary....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNeSZex-3-o&feature=em-uploademail[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Herman Zimmerman tribute...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8F8_T22oj4[/video]

Top Bottom