• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Wow, some beautiful work there. Seems as though every few years a project like this springs up, only to fade into obscurity. I remember back in '15, The AV Club profiled a similar effort called the EnterpriseD 3D Project, which has a very nice web site and blog... that hasn't been updated in 2+ years. (Apparently CBS got on his case; he was probably the guy the Stage 9 FAQ says "was asking for donations to pay his salary so he could continue making it, and the owners of Star Trek didn’t like THAT part of it.") It does surprise me that such a fan-made project wasn't made years ago.

(And I still want my digital recreations of San Francisco's Worlds Fairs, damnit! :p )

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I skipped through the vid and it does look impressive. It made me wonder if there has been an open-world 'Fallout' type/size game done on a space-staion, or starship (there must have been).

Something the size of the Enterprise-D could be a very entertaining open-world to explore if every part was accessible and filled with thousands of NPCs with their own jobs, hobbies and lives aboard the ship. It would be interesting if you were just an Ensign (or a passenger) to begin with and could wonder around taking part in science tests, playing on the holodeck, ord drinking at ten-forward. In the background the bridge crew could be getting on with treking through the universe and having their own story lines and you could choose to assist them in small ways, or not. Wonder down to engineering and see of Geordie needs any jobs done. Fix the replicator in Picard's ready-room because it's giving him Darjeeling instead of Earl Grey. etc

Well there is my game pitch!

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Star trek tmp klingon cruisers vs vger with enhaced cgi visuals

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My personal favourite of the Original Cast Movies.....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1ODb780uQ[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The correct opinion to have.

I've been continuing my re-watch of DS9 on Netflix. I say "re-watch" but I actually gave up on it back in the day at a point I forget.

If there is such a thing as an inverse "Jumping the Shark" moment then that moment for DS9 could be this speech by Sisko (from S2 Ep21):

After the first couple of seasons being bland but good, the writers/Producers seem to realise they could and should do something different from TNG and decide to get Sisko to tell the audience. An uptick in quality seems to follow this episode, with more focus on moral conundrums, although some of the usual ST problems still remain. Just starting the 3rd season.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
After the first couple of seasons being bland but good, the writers/Producers seem to realise they could and should do something different from TNG and decide to get Sisko to tell the audience. An uptick in quality seems to follow this episode, with more focus on moral conundrums, although some of the usual ST problems still remain. Just starting the 3rd season.

A great speech/moment in the series.  Written by Ira Steven Behr, who became Executive Producer of DS9 in season 3, he would explore the theme of Star Trek 'paradise vs. reality' many times throughout the series.  With franchise boss Berman focused on TNG and launching Voyager, Behr had wide creative freedom and was able to push Trek boundaries and tell powerful stories that are still relevant (perhaps even more so) to our society.

I stand by my firm belief DS9 was and is, the best written/developed Star Trek series in the entire franchise history.  Yes, it had hiccups and missteps here and there, but it overall output of high quality thought provoking stories balanced with rich character development and action adventure, still makes it the one Trek series all other should aspire to... and thus far, none have imo.   

Deep Space Nine Forever!!!!  :D lol

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy Easter!  :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf1jejaqcKg[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anti-Matter redux edit of TMP....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fO_6N0ITA[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second season of Netflix's THE TOYS THAT MADE US is now available and the first episode explores the chaotic history of STAR TREK toys.  Very entertaining and informative.  :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was enjoying the Voyager theme music and then was listening to the Prince of Thieves theme and I thought it sounded like a Star Trek theme, so I placed it over the TNG titles for fun :D:

(Shame I couldn't find a clean version of the TNG intro with soundFX and Picard's speech.)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I was enjoying the Voyager theme music and then was listening to the Prince of Thieves theme and I thought it sounded like a Star Trek theme, so I placed it over the TNG titles for fun :D:

That works surprisingly well. 

By the way, have you ever heard Dennis McCarthy's alternate theme for "Star Trek: The Next Generation"?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They made the right choice in recycling the TMP theme.  The alternate TNG theme sounds like what you'd expect to hear as a soundalike in a parody, rather than an official Trek product.  Speaking of...  This is only a rumor, but if there's even a slight chance of it being true...

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been getting louder. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

Belated TNG continuation?  Admiral Picard overseeing a new crew?  Whatever it is, if it comes to be, I'm in.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked McCarthy's theme. Pretty cool "what might have been." I hadn't heard it before. Thanks for sharing, hbenthow!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That soundtrack was the first C.D. I ever bought.  :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some totally random and unfocused thoughts on DS9:

I'm just starting Season6 of DS9 now and I'm rather enjoying it. I'm not sure exactly at what point I zoned out back in the day but I don't remember seeing Nog and Rom being regular members of the crew and I really like those two (or Martok?). I'm not sure I remember Odo being solid for a time either. But then I do remember enjoying the Weyoun performance, so maybe I was dipping in and out toward the end. Whenever it was, I think I dropped out just before DS9 was finally getting good :D .

A big reason for my dissatisfaction with DS9 was B5 being my favourite show at the time and the comparison only made DS9's deficiencies more obvious. Even during the early stages of the Dominion conflict and preceding Klingon war, DS9 never commits to long form story telling and drops in and out of the threats at random. For the record, I think Discovery has gone too far the other way. Another comparison that bothered me then and still does, is the poor way scale is established. Rare shots like this...

42225481774_7da63abda1_o.jpg

...kind of take me by surprise as the station feels so small in the way it's shot. The Enterprise-D feels so much bigger. B5 was always at great pains to establish the scale by showing us how small OPs was in the overall scale (I still don't know where OPs is on DS9 and it's relative scale), showing vast interior matte paintings, showing multiple varied locations, showing starships being boarded and loaded/unloaded (something DS9 has never done beyond showing an airlock), having whole different climate zones and sectors. It has characters taking long lift rides and walks (something almost never done in DS9). Most crucially it has characters frequently talking on vidscreens to each other within the station (again something I don't think DS9 ever does) which helps to imply the station is so big that you can't just walk up to the person. In DS9 you are given the impression that OPS, medical, Odo's office, Garek's shop and Quark's are within a few steps of each other (because they probably were on the set). It's a nitpick but one that niggles me.

The best thing about DS9 is the interesting conflicted characters. Seeing how Garek, Quark, or Dukat will react to a given problem and where their loyalties lie is fascinating. e.g. When Dukat and Kira were almost friends for a time was totally believable, just as believable as when they become bitter enemies again.

One last thing that stuck in my mind... what the hell were they thinking in that episode when Sisko went to the mirror universe and screwed mirror Dax!? It's weird on two levels. She's an exact duplicate of his best friend and mentor, so there is that problem and mirror-Dax thinks he is somebody else, so it's more than a little creepy. I know it's briefly addressed in a later episode when miror-Dax slaps him.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Some totally random and unfocused thoughts on DS9:
One last thing that stuck in my mind... what the hell were they thinking in that episode when Sisko went to the mirror universe and screwed mirror Dax!? It's weird on two levels. She's an exact duplicate of his best friend and mentor, so there is that problem and mirror-Dax thinks he is somebody else, so it's more than a little creepy. I know it's briefly addressed in a later episode when miror-Dax slaps him.

As I have often proclaimed, DS9 is imo the BEST Trek series after the original.  But perhaps my least favourite episodes of the series were the Mirror Universe ones.   The first one, "CROSSOVER" in season two is fantastic, but for me each of the four follow-ups kept diluting the concept til it was almost cringe worthy.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]..kind of take me by surprise as the station feels so small in the way it's shot. The Enterprise-D feels so much bigger. B5 was always at great pains to establish the scale by showing us how small OPs was in the overall scale (I still don't know where OPs is on DS9 and it's relative scale), showing vast interior matte paintings, showing multiple varied locations, showing starships being boarded and loaded/unloaded (something DS9 has never done beyond showing an airlock), having whole different climate zones and sectors. It has characters taking long lift rides and walks (something almost never done in DS9). Most crucially it has characters frequently talking on vidscreens to each other within the station (again something I don't think DS9 ever does) which helps to imply the station is so big that you can't just walk up to the person. In DS9 you are given the impression that OPS, medical, Odo's office, Garek's shop and Quark's are within a few steps of each other (because they probably were on the set). It's a nitpick but one that niggles me.[/font]

I agree, DS9 never really made an effort to clearly explain how big the station is or how many people work/live there.  And the numbers seemed to fluctuate based on the demand of the plot.  But according to good old Wiki, DS9 was only about 1 kilometre in diameter.  The outer ring was for docking.  The middle ring was habitation.   And the center core was  Operations and the Promenade.  There are normally about 300 people permanently living on the Station, though apparently it can accommodate up to 7,000.   So if DS9 felt smaller than B5, that is because it was significantly smaller.

I try not to compare Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5, as I love both for very different reasons.  
B5 is pure delicious pulp.  It's Lord of the Rings in Space.
DS9 is more theatrical, more Shakespearean in Space.
Both great space operas that touch on many similar themes but explore them in very different ways.
Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.

Season Six ..... wait til you watch "IN THE PALE MOONLIGHT"!!!!  ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
if DS9 felt smaller than B5, that is because it was significantly smaller.

Yeah it's waaaay smaller but what I meant was B5 "felt" the size that it was supposed to be but DS9 felt smaller than the ships that docked with it, until you were occasionally shown it wasn't. You could equally compare something like Red Dwarf, although it was just a comedy, they took time to establish the size (to a ludicrous degree). They even had this scene where the crew use the "xpress-lift" and have the option of a meal and movie:

Plus Rimmer said he went on a "rambling holiday through the diesel decks" :D .

I've also started a rewatch of Voyager, although I'm not sure how far I'll get. About the time that the Borg sexbot turned up was when it got too silly for me. For the first few episodes at least, I'm remembering how much I loved certain members of the crew like the Doctor, Neelix and especially Janeway. I loved the  Zimmerman cameo on DS9.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the idea of a TNG animated series to give us more Picard and crew, they did it with TOS back in the day.  I really need to see a clip or a trailer of the animation style and tone before jumping all in or going all fan boy hater haha.

Top Bottom