• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are, of course other reasons to forget Decker, and the actor who played him.

The stills are interesting, but as much as I loathe the TMP uniforms, I will say this: the movie and the uniforms deserve each other. :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMP the modern trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C75dPdKIzmE[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks like a nice Trekkie flavoured heart warming feel good flick...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govcbdn-4-k[/video]

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I thought this was cool....
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfhYjOa13Dw[/video]

I'm older now and stuff like this drives me nuts.
Why would the captain (or admiral) do this?
You send the hired hand, or someone expendable, or the deckhand who works the exterior daily.
The city mayor does not lead the SWAT team.
Kirk ought not do this.
Aarrgghh!

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gah, I really wish the ST:TMP uniforms had ended up as colourful as the previous page mock-ups!  And wish the bridge doorway had been kept RED too!!  :)

Also very nice to see that unfinished 'spacewalk' finally completed, even though I always preferred the new spacesuit design anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, it seems we might be getting a TARANTINO story idea for the next movie instalment...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/quentin-tarantino-might-direct-a-star-trek-movie-1820997482

(I just hope there's no needless swearing such as we heard during the DISCOVERY show!)  :p

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ This actually makes a lot of sense - crazy sense, maybe, but sense. Tarantino has talked for years about how he'd like to do a James Bond or Star Wars/Trek movie, and I get the sense that the idea of directing an A-list franchise one-off holds a special appeal for him. (Of course, he could easily get a gig directing any number of minor/forgotten franchise entries, but to do an A-list one, in his own style and with complete authorial control, would be a special coup.) The part where this makes lots of sense is that Star Trek the film franchise is a wounded animal. Into Darkness made 29m less than '09 domestically, and sold even fewer tickets when you factor in the 3D surchage, and, Beyond made 99m less than '09. (Into Darkness bested '09 overseas, but Beyond dropped 23% from there, and during a significant expansion of the Chinese market.) What's more, the reboot cast's contracts expired with Beyond, I believe, making them potentially significantly costlier to re-hire, if they're willing to do so at all.

In short, Trek is arguably a unique property at the moment in that the brand retains enormous cultural prestige and awareness while at the same time being very dubiously bankable. With Abrams still massively tied up in Star Wars, and with no clear path forward, Tarantino could offer Paramount his name and prestige for a significantly cheaper, less action-oriented entry sure to tempt the reboot cast back (assuming that's part of the pitch), and Paramount could offer him the complete freedom (based on an agreed-upon script and rating) he'd no doubt demand.

As someone who flat-out hated just about every damn minute of Beyond apart from Spock learning of Spock Prime's passing and finding the classic cast photo, I for one welcome Tarantino as a potential one-movie overlord. Since Into Darkness killed of my lingering affection for '09, I can't say I (still) like a Trek movie since First Contact, and even that I find all kinds of problematic. Five bad movies in a row is a hell of a losing streak; it's time for some drastic measures.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched Deep Space 9 "Extreme Measures". I wonder if Nolan ever watched this episode? Very inception-esque.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I read about this yesterday I was quite taken a back, the thought of Tarantino at the helm of a franchise film with full control and just how that would look is more interesting to me than any fillm thats come out in the last ten years.  I just can't for the life of me imagine what a Star Trek movie might be like with him at the reigns. I really, really hope this happens but I just can't see Paramount ever taking that gamble even though the Star Trek movie universe looks in trouble again... I'm guessing someones putting a youtube video together right now attempting to answer the question of what this might be like..

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I just can't for the life of me imagine what a Star Trek movie might be like with him at the reigns.

"Reins." (Reins are the ropes one controls a horse with. A reign is the rule of a monarch. ;))

And I don't agree that Tarantino and Trek are necessarily such an odd fit. Tarantino loves static cameras and long, stagy dialogue. Well, wasn't TOS in large part filmed with static cameras, and didn't it have a distinctly stagy vibe as compared to naturalistic mainstream dramas? (Heck, so did TNG, by today's standards.) The floating camera and naturalistic performances we're used to in Trek movies started with Generations and hit their adolescence in Nemesis, before JJ took his hyper/shiny style all the way to eleven in '09. If anything, a Tarantino Trek movie would probably look, feel, and sound like a big-screen TOS episode more akin to The Forbidden Planet than mindless popcorn action dreck like Into Darkness and Beyond.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Sinbad said:
I just can't for the life of me imagine what a Star Trek movie might be like with him at the reigns.

"Reins." (Reins are the ropes one controls a horse with. A reign is the rule of a monarch. ;))

Yep just testing :) 

I can see he probably could fit the mould he did 'rein' things in for Jackie Brown, his films are so instantly recognisable as his though  I just can't imagine him dialling that down enough to do a franchise film or the suits allowing him to fully do 'his' thing.  I really hope this goes somewhere though (boldly)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tarantino can work within an already-established style for a pre-existing franchise, but still add enough of his flair that it's recognizably his. The "CSI" two-parter that he wrote and directed is proof of that.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Excellent point.

Sinbad said:
I just can't imagine him dialing that down enough to do a franchise film or the suits allowing him to fully do 'his' thing.

I really don't see what the suits have to lose at this point. '09 made tons of domestic money (by Trek standards), but it was also a fluke in several respects: the first major use of the TOS characters since 1991, the first origin story for said characters, and it was released at a time when Star Wars was still on indefinite hiatus and GotG didn't exist. Now that Star Wars is opening a movie a year, GotG is going strong and the MCU in general is looking to space, stodgy ol' Trek is simply never again going to have such a charmed general audiences moment as '09 did, IMHO. Unless, perhaps, they do something completely unexpected and wild... like this very idea.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Excellent point.

Sinbad said:
I just can't imagine him dialing that down enough to do a franchise film or the suits allowing him to fully do 'his' thing.

I really don't see what the suits have to lose at this point. '09 made tons of domestic money (by Trek standards), but it was also a fluke in several respects: the first major use of the TOS characters since 1991, the first origin story for said characters, and it was released at a time when Star Wars was still on indefinite hiatus and GotG didn't exist. Now that Star Wars is opening a movie a year, GotG is going strong and the MCU in general is looking to space, stodgy ol' Trek is simply never again going to have such a charmed general audiences moment as '09 did, IMHO. Unless, perhaps, they do something completely unexpected and wild... like this very idea.
I for one hope they do go for it with him, he said recently he would make 10 films and then retire.  That would mean his Charles Manson Project and this would be his last films.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Deadline site is now reporting that Paramount and J.J. have agreed to Tarantino's demands for...an R-rated TREK movie! 

Sounds like they liked his story possibilities after all.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hyperbole I reckon if Tarantino is as big a fan of TOS as he says I don't think he would litter it with F bombs. A grittier more violent installment maybe though...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What this probably means (assuming it's even true to begin with), IMO, is that Paramount is telling Tarantino they're willing to give him enormous control, to the point where they're pledging not to ask for a PG-13 rating. Doesn't mean they necessarily won't get one regardless - the point is there won't be a fight. If the hypothetical movie turns out to be right on the PG-13/R boundary, and gets the former, it'd be because the MPAA cut Paramount some slack, rather than because Tarantino agreed to censor himself beyond what he was amenable to.

In any case, the whole hoopla is certainly...

Z9F4SCr.jpg

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The more that I think of the idea of a possibly R-rated Tarantino-directed Star Trek movie getting made, the more I think about the possibility of it being a Klingon movie. I can't think of any subject in the Star Trek universe that Tarantino would be better suited to direct a movie about than Klingons.

Top Bottom