• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's seriously impressive stuff no doubt but you'll never convince me that replacing classic miniature-based shots from 70s films with modern clean CGI is an improvement (I include the official TMP:DC in that)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got out of Star Trek Beyond - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Justin Lin provides the perfect balance of bombastic action scenes (which are shot clearly with great use of space despite being slightly shakier than I'd prefer) with character moments. I loved getting to spend so much time with the characters interacting or solving problems separately. I didn't think anyone was wasted, unlike the last film. Spock plays his emotion perfectly, and Sulu's sexuality was very much played as no big deal, as it should be in my opinion. Spock and Bones were just electric together; those were probably my favorite scenes. Despite the motorcycle shots in the trailer freaking people out, I thought it played well in the context of the film, as did the Bestie Boys callback. Jaylah was a good addition; it's incredibly difficult to play emotion in makeup and as a badass character but I felt it when she talked about her family. "With all due respect, Captain, are you kidding me??" was a top line for me. My only real criticism is that the villain's rationale kinda makes sense but defaults to some standard soldier tropes. And his energy machine to keep him alive is explained poorly, just one throwaway line if I recall. But these are pretty minor quibbles in a fun overall experience.

Edited to add that apparently it's a surprise that there are many great character moments mixed in with the big action set pieces. But as fans of the Fast and Furious movies will know, he is fully aware that spending time getting invested in the characters makes the action go.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I didn't think anyone was wasted, unlike the last film.

I already mentioned this in the Beyond thread, but I think both Idris and Zoe were completely wasted in this film, which is a shame because they're both very good actors.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
thecuddlyninja said:
I didn't think anyone was wasted, unlike the last film.

I already mentioned this in the Beyond thread, but I think both Idris and Zoe were completely wasted in this film, which is a shame because they're both very good actors.

I completely agree about Idris. I meant to say the main crew. Soldana didn't have a ton to do, but I liked her in it and she had a couple key moments I liked.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought the regular bare-bones Blu-Ray of 'Into Darkness' and then "The Compendium" edition too. I thought it was supposed to have all the bonus material included. Then I just found this scene on YouTube :dodgy: ...

...and it's probably the best one.

My researches indicate it was an Xbox smart-glass exclusive (Whatever that is). Anybody know if it's available to purchase/download anywhere else? (I don't want to buy an Xbox just to get it :D )... or know if it's an easter-egg on the Blu-Ray somewhere?

Godammit. I payed my money twice and I still get stiffed :mad:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ira Steven Behr is producing a documentary about DEEP SPACE NINE!
http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/06/exc...bout-deep-space-nine-documentary-coming-soon/

I am so stoked for this!!!!   I have made it no secret that DS9 is my fave Trek incarnation after TOS, so I think I may be more excited for this than for Discovery lol.

Love the concept of sitting down all the original show writers and having them break down an imaginary Season Eight!  Sounds like most of the cast will be interviewed with the exception of Avery Brooks, who has been of poor health for a while.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfdG6OfknM[/video]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just signed up for Netflix... let the 500-hour Star Trek marathon begin! :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure if this has been posted before as it is a couple years old, but I don't recall seeing it before and it really impressed me.
This fan made trailer really brings an epic quality to TMP.  It actually gave me the FEELS.  lol

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquTJzu6xHM[/video]

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I bought the regular bare-bones Blu-Ray of 'Into Darkness' and then "The Compendium" edition too. I thought it was supposed to have all the bonus material included. Then I just found this scene on YouTube :dodgy: ...

My researches indicate it was an Xbox smart-glass exclusive (Whatever that is). Anybody know if it's available to purchase/download anywhere else? (I don't want to buy an Xbox just to get it :D )... or know if it's an easter-egg on the Blu-Ray somewhere?

Holy hell, that is far superior. I wonder why it wasn't used. Sadly no clue as to its other possible distribution avenues

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

It looks like you can purchase that version through a web browser now? 

Here's the supposed smartglass version...

But this version claims to be the one with the 7 deleted scenes?

It lists the supported devices for both as "Also plays on Xbox, Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8. For offline viewing, download your favorites on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
It looks like you can purchase that version through a web browser now? 

Here's the supposed smartglass version...

It lists the supported devices for both as "Also plays on Xbox, Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8. For offline viewing, download your favorites on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8."

Nice thanks. It certainly seems to suggest you can access that content on a regular desktop.

matrixgrindhouse said:

That sounds like just a digital copy of the Blu-Ray (Which also has 7 deleted scenes).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that was a horrible experience from signing-up, logging-in, filling out addresses, purchasing/payment etc etc. Is there no element of webdesign, customer-service and user-interfacing that Microsoft cannot screw up?

tumblr_mkjeldLlaL1r4gei2o2_400.gif

I don't think you can view the content on a desktop, despite it saying you can. The movie itself is view-able in awful sub-DVD-quality (Somehow it's still labelled as "HD") but not the exclusive content. Still, I at least now own the SmartGlass content, even if I can't access it... so yay?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dubsmash Beyond!!!!!!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzizBcSWXM[/video]

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Dubsmash Beyond!!!!!!

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzizBcSWXM[/video]

I dare anybody to watch twenty seconds of that and not watch the full five minutes. I don't see how you could.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Well that was a horrible experience from signing-up, logging-in, filling out addresses, purchasing/payment etc etc. Is there no element of webdesign, customer-service and user-interfacing that Microsoft cannot screw up? ...

Of course they can screw up more!
I have used Hotmail - Live - Outlook - whatever for over a decade.
Now it's almost unusable.
As far as the OS, I recently partitioned the hard drive and installed Linux.
MS geniuses, yay.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HAPPY STAR TREK DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D

50 GLORIOUS YEARS!!!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Discussion continued from...

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=10103&pid=271406#pid271406

bionicbob said:
TM2YC said:
I've celebrated by continuing my Netflix watch through of TNG... I gotta say, there are some weaker episodes in Season 2.
IMO seasons one and two are very rough

That's what I was expecting from my memory and the general consensus but I thought S1 was actually top-notch story/plot wise. I think I  loved every episode. It's got other structural problems of course like having no fixed chief engineer and no Ten-Forward.

Dr Pulaski doesn't help matters in S2 "I know, let's make our new character Dr Pulaski constantly be a d*ck to everyone's favourite character Data. That'll make her really endearing to the viewers!". Being mean to Data is like punching a kitten, since he doesn't fully understand and is too polite to object. The bit where she is calling Data "Dah-tah" instead of "Day-tah" really made me hate her all over again. I can't wait to get to S3E1 and have Beverley Crusher back.

However I did enjoy the Pulaski vs Data dynamic in the Sherlock Holmes episode.

Top Bottom