• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way that was cut gave me hope that Bones is going to get the correct amount of screen time finally. The shot at 0.48 of the three of them!

I liked it but Picard doesn't...

(Genius editing)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Empire Magazine Podcast have done a rather entertaining ST 50th Anniversary special....

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-trek-beyond/star-trek-50th-anniversary-special-podcast/

It's very opinionated by design and they give "definitive" answers on best episodes, best characters etc. Lot of love for DS9, not so much for The Motion Picture :D .

Yes, very entertaining.   I love DS9 is finally getting the respect it deserves!

But yeah, they were way too harsh on STTMP.

I loved the "two blink" answer to whether they liked Star Trek Beyond or not..LOL!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure what to call myself (newb? Poser?) but the new films got me into Star Trek for the first time. That being said, I always love the Empire pod and this was a really entertaining episode even to someone who didn't know what the hell they were talking about most of the time. I guess I always enjoy deep, loving fandom and the more people talk about ST the more I want to go visit the old shows. But after them being hyped to some degree my whole life, and loving the "non-Trek-like" reboot films, I dunno. I also like philosophical stuff much more than in my younger years, so...yeah, I don't really have a point.

But I did love the pod.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't get the love for DS9. It has one good season (5). One! 4,6,7 are ok. And 1,2&3 are absolutely terrible. Season 1 is dire. TNG cast-offs. Poor old Major Kira's character changes every episode, as does Odo's. They hadn't a clue what they were doing.
However, season 5 is the best ST season ever. But DS9 the best show?
Jean-Luc, he is the Captain. :)
This is, of course, my opinion. Feel free to heartily disagree!
Especially when I add that I really enjoyed Voyager. ;-)

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I'm not sure what to call myself (newb? Poser?) but the new films got me into Star Trek for the first time. That being said, I always love the Empire pod and this was a really entertaining episode even to someone who didn't know what the hell they were talking about most of the time. I guess I always enjoy deep, loving fandom and the more people talk about ST the more I want to go visit the old shows. But after them being hyped to some degree my whole life, and loving the "non-Trek-like" reboot films, I dunno. I also like philosophical stuff much more than in my younger years, so...yeah, I don't really have a point.

I'm sure there are many nowadays that have only known 'Star Trek' through the lens of the J.J. reboots.  But these particular movies are a very different beast to the original show in certain ways.  

You don't mention if you've seen *any* of the previous shows/movies before...but if not, then I certainly recommend that you *at least* give a few of the season one episodes of the original 'Star Trek' show a viewing at some point, so that you will get a better idea of why the original characters are so enduring - personally, I would start with the episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' (but you will get all the relevant episode info. at this link, and can study the ins-and-outs of the release order for yourself  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes )  The 'remastered' versions of the TOS episodes have improved the dated original SFX somewhat, but it won't make much difference if you choose to watch the original versions, as the show wasn't about fancy effects anyway.

But whether you continue with all the season two and three episodes or not, you will have seen enough of the characters to better appreciate their re-appearance years later in their first big-budget movie STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and it's subsequent sequels - I would definately suggest you watch the 'Director's Edition' of ST:TMP rather than the rushed 'theatrical' version, as I reckon it's far superior with it's slight re-editing and more polished SFX - (note: although the 'theatrical' version is avail. on Blu-ray, the DE is only available on standard DVD unfortunately...but I'd still rather watch the DE version, no matter what)

The subsequent TOS movies were of varying quality, with some much better than others...but I prefer to end things with STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY as the final hurrah for all the original TOS characters...as I choose to look on the STAR TREK GENERATIONS movie as occurring in an 'alternate' universe similar to J.J.'s 'Kelvin Timeline'!  :p

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
I'm sure there are many nowadays that have only known 'Star Trek' through the lens of the J.J. reboots.  But these particular movies are a very different beast to the original show in certain ways.  

You don't mention if you've seen *any* of the previous shows/movies before...but if not, then I certainly recommend that you *at least* give some of the season one episodes of the original 'Star Trek' show a viewing at some point so that you will get a better idea of why the original characters are so enduring - personally, I would start with the episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' (but you will get all the relevant episode info. over at wikipedia.org, and can study the ins-and-outs of the release order for yourself if you type in List of Star Trek: The Original Series episodes )  The 'remastered' versions of the TOS episodes have improved the dated original SFX somewhat, but it won't make much difference if you choose to watch the original versions, as the show wasn't about fancy effects anyway.

I've seen so little and so long ago that I've basically not seen anything. Thanks for the recommendations; I do intend to check out the original run in the near future.

I gotta say, in my rather limited experience, Trekkies have been really inviting to new fans. So many fandoms have gotten so snobby and elitist that it's pretty cool to see one generally recognize that other people loving something you love is good.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:

I gotta say, in my rather limited experience, Trekkies have been really inviting to new fans. So many fandoms have gotten so snobby and elitist that it's pretty cool to see one generally recognize that other people loving something you love is good.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.  :D

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I've seen so little and so long ago that I've basically not seen anything. Thanks for the recommendations; I do intend to check out the original run in the near future.

Glad to hear it.  And of course there's always the upcoming new 'Trek' show to look forward to also - I'm gonna be interested to see what comes of that, especially seeing as 'multiple crews' seem to be involved in the storylines.  Good to hear that we in the U.K. (along with others) will be getting the episodes only a day after it airs in the U.S.A. - http://www.io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-gets-the-international-rights-to-all-the-star-t-1783852702

I sure hope it has a great theme/credits intro. to kick things off.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you get to st:tmp, I'd suggest watching @TM2YC's edit of the film, it's the movie in finished form, theatrical and dir-ed don't even compare IMO.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, thanks guys. :) I'll definitely do that, Rogue. I am interested to see a ST series from the guy who made Pushing Daisies, for sure.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I'd suggest watching @TM2YC's edit of the film, it's the movie in finished form

q0Kyb.gif

Wow that's high praise. Thanks.

For me ST ranks roughly something like this...

1. Original crew movies
2. TNG
3. TOS
3. JJ Trek
5. TNG movies
6. DS9
7. Voyager
3720. Enterprise

I don't think I could live without 1, I'd really struggle to cope without 2, I'd mourn the loss of 3 but I'd find a way to move on without the rest :D.

I went for Kirk+Bones+McCoy as the "single" best character before they did. Data has got to be pretty high up there though (so endearing) and 'The Offspring' was overlooked for best TNG episode.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
If you get to st:tmp, I'd suggest watching @TM2YC's edit of the film, it's the movie in finished form, theatrical and dir-ed don't even compare IMO.

While I'm quite content with the 'Director's Edition' as it is (I only wish an HD version was forthcoming), that STAR TREK: REUNION edit was one of a few by TM2YC that I always meant to check out.  I must get around to that sometime, as some of the ideas seemed pretty neat.   :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*** TM2YC's Star Trek Reunion is BRILLIANT!!  Go watch if you haven't yet ***

TM2YC said:
For me ST ranks roughly something like this...

1. Original crew movies
2. TNG
3. TOS
3. JJ Trek
5. TNG movies
6. DS9
7. Voyager
3720. Enterprise

Lists!!! I love lists.....

For me, ST goes like this....

1. TOS (including the animated series )
2. Original crew movies
3. Deep Space 9
4. TNG
5. The Kelvin Timeline movies (saw Trek Beyond -- it is AWESOME!!!)
6. TNG movies
7. Enterprise
8. Voyager

TOS, TNG and DS9, while always the top three for me,  are sometimes are to rate and can change order depending on my mood lol.  But I boil it down to this.... TOS-- created the verse,  TNG -- polished the verse and DS9 evolved the verse.   But DS9 and TNG could not exist without TOS.

DS9 wins over TNG for me just because I think it was a better developed series right out of the gate compared to TNG (TNG took 3 seasons to find its footing --for me season 1 and 2 are almost unwatched now).   DS9 had more complex characters and story lines, definitely stronger, more realized female leads and really took Trek in really fresh (if not dark) places.   And is Sisko is just a badass Captain lol.      But I do love TNG, and it certainly easier to watch any episode without being invested in a ton of backstory, and it has some truly iconic Trek moments.

The only reason I placed Enterprise higher than Voyager, is after watching Trek for over 25 years at that point, and with DS9 airing at the same time, Voyager felt too much like "been there, done that" even with the lost Delta Quadrant angle.   But if some one had never watched Trek before, I could see Voyager being an enjoyable introduction.   For me, at least, Enterprise attempted something new, even if they made many missteps and frustrated many Trek canon lovers....lol.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uh oh...while I certainly like the title and music featured in this early preview, I sure dislike the ship design on show...  And was it such a good idea to show such an 'unfinished' preview of the SFX as the first taste of this new show?  :dodgy:  I guess I'll have to take a 'wait-and-see' position on this - www.darkhorizons.com/news/44255/new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery

However, it's interesting to see that the show is confirmed as being set in the original 'Prime' universe...  

(By the way, I've now started a topic to do with 'Star Trek Discovery' over on the TV shows section of GENERAL TOPICS )

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The ship kinda has the Star Trek logo as its body. 

Threw this together to show what I'm seeing:

Star_trek_logo.png

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some very impressive new FX work for an upcoming fan edit of Final Frontier.....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpc_8IV4fC8[/video]

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Some very impressive new FX work for an upcoming fan edit of Final Frontier.....

Ah yes, by a certain fellah called 'Anti-Matter' from 'Digital Fanedits'.  I checked out a couple of his other clips by clicking on the 'deLimited Productions' logo on that video over on YouTube.  Some of his effects are very good, others less so.  But I was certainly interested in his rendition of the 'Klingon Battle' opening from ST:TMP.  Despite some dodgy matte issues, I definately prefer the original miniature work and framing of shots...but he certainly put a bit of effort into this CGI version of the 'Kiingon' ships -

Top Bottom