• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Xandar from Guardians of the Galaxy at the 1:00 mark. In fact it seems to be really inspired by Guardians.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some very valid observations about nuTrek.... :)

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought this trailer music fanedit was interesting, in how much it changes the tone when replaced with generic "epic" trailer music.
[video=youtube_share;qULdofE03c4]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Superb. A Film-Criticism-Knighhood to that guy (If that was a thing).

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

JJ Abrams said he never was a Trekkie and never 'got' Star Trek. A ton of quotes and fan service doesn't automagically remake the heart and soul of Trek. They had to throw all that stuff in because if it wasn't there, nuTrek was a totally generic B grade teenybopper action flick. JJ started the slide into what Trek is now in the new trailer- Guardians of the Star Trek Fast and Furiosa.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^
LykUbqo.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simon Pegg should probably recieve a portion of the marketing budget because he just re-promoted the movie in my eyes. To see him react so strongly, suggests the trailer really does not represent the movie he was involved in.

Like I already said, I'm going to see this movie regardless, so if it's actually great but they need to market it as a piece of cr*p to get the masses in, then I'm okay with that :-D.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

I love this!

Did this yesterday if anyone's interested - technically flawed but it's a short 'loose adaptation' of the Star Trek Countdown comic leading into the 2009 movie.

Enterprise-E v Nerada. Enjoy.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

The author says, "...the classic films didn't even acknowledge that the series existed..." How can I take that claim seriously?

He also asks, "When did Prime Trek ever acknowledge the animated series?" Well, ENT did it, and "Tiberius" comes from it, to name just two.

I'd probably have gotten on board with the video if it were just a defense of the JJ films, but half of it is whining about fans who didn't like them, which doesn't do much for me.

Kudos to him for one thing though. He titled his video in a way that implies that he's going to bitch about JJ-Trek, then does the opposite.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yeah, I think the part of the Plinkett review arguing that Trek XI is a caricature of the things average people remember about TOS designed for maximum cross-demographic appeal hit the isolinear chip on its head, as does this recent Cracked article:

Star Trek the original series is very much for adults. There's an inherent goofiness to everything, and some episodes (like "Spock's Brain") are downright farcical, but for the most part, it's heady science fiction. Which is what the state of science fiction was back in the '60s, before Star Wars came out and turned "science fiction" into "action movie in space." In fact, the one thing Star Trek absolutely isn't, is an action movie. The original series, and their subsequent feature films, are all relatively light on action and heavy on plot.

The Trek reboot was made by a bunch of people who grew up loving Star Wars, and so their first order of business was to turn Star Trek into a Star Wars movie. That meant throwing out all the heady plot stuff and replacing it with lots of running and space explosions. There's a reason Richard Matheson and Harlan Ellison wrote episodes of Star Trek, but were never contacted to whip up a Star Wars screenplay. And Richard Matheson wrote fucking Jaws 3-D.

I haven't watched the Beyond teaser because I want to see the movie with as little foreknowledge as possible, so I still hope that we'll get something that feels more like Trek than a feature-length Star Wars job application. (I was iffy on '09 when I first saw it, and now that I've seen Into Darkness once, I don't feel like watching either again. That said, I hate Batman Begins and really enjoy TDK, so redemption by sequel is always possible.)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, looks like next year, I will be buying ALL THE STAMPS! As in, taking care of my first-class stamp needs FOR LIFE!

TrekStamps123015.gif

$100 worth, please! At least! :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bought my tickets today for STAR TREK THE ULTIMATE VOYAGE concert for April!!! Me sooooooo EXCITED!!!!:whoo:

Just curious, has anyone else gone to it yet????

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That montage is beautifully edited and timed with the music.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The light-hearted "Therapy" retrospectives of the Trek movies on this YouTube channel are delightful, check them out...

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The light-hearted "Therapy" retrospectives of the Trek movies on this YouTube channel are delightful, check them out...

I enjoyed them all already. Thank you!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Various aborted Star Trek spin-offs over the years....

Top Bottom