• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why is Gates McFadden under the impression that they're trying out for the next Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure how many people will be willing to pay CBS a subscription fee to access this. I wouldn't, especially since they have a network they could air it on if they wanted to.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, It's not going to get me to sign up to a $6/mth service just to watch it, but I am intrigued where this series will go.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
In the future, if you're going to start a dedicated thread for something, instead of using the catch-all thread, PLEASE WRITE MORE THAN JUST A HYPERLINK.

Good call. Threads merged.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
I am intrigued where this series will go.

Where no one has gone before, in theory.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is interesting how history sort of repeats itself, this new Trek series is being used to launch a new viewing service, while Star Trek the Motion Picture was originally planned as a tv series to launch a new tv network and then there was Voyager of course....

I wonder if the recent success of many of the Trek Fan Film kickstarter campaigns influenced CBS decision to go the streaming route?

Anyway, exciting news. I am glad it is solely a Kurtzman's production, free of Abrams control. Kurtzman's is clearly a hardcore Trek fan. Though it will really come down to who becomes the show runner and main creative force behind the series.

Also, will it be based in the Abramsverse or the original Prime Universe? I hope it is the original. I guess it will depend on what sort of deal CBS and Paramount worked out....

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hm.

That's all I've really got for now, with an announcement that doesn't even hint at a concept.

Hm...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
William Shatner's latest Trek doc CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE is now available on the American Netflix....

It is by far Shatner's best doc thus far, and I think presented a fairly balanced, if not contradictory recollection, of those difficult first three season of Next Generation. At only one hour in length, it is jammed packed and very fascinating. :thumb:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have said it in the past and I say it again, DEEP SPACE NINE, was best Trek series after TOS.
But I know I am in the minority, and while it is unlikely, I continue to hold out hope that the series will get the Blu-ray treatment.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely in the minority, BBob.
Most, as you well know, rally around TNG.
My fave was always Voyager, though that was a blown opportunity.
That could have been really dark and desperate, instead of Trekkie feel goodness.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
But I know I am in the minority, and while it is unlikely, I continue to hold out hope that the series will get the Blu-ray treatment.

You and I both, bob! :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first few seasons of DSP were strong. I had this badboy hanging from my ceiling for a few years...

maxresdefault.jpg

...but I lost interest with the later stories when I felt it was trying to be B5 (Which I was obsessed by) a bit too much. I'd love to revisit DS9 in HD though, probably more than I'd want to rewatch any Trek series because I've watched it less.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
That could have been really dark and desperate...

Sounds like DS9 to me!

NextGen is easily the most accessible Trek series. And seasons 3 thru 6 are brilliant.

But in terms of rich, developed characters, complex and challenging story lines, and pushing Trek boundaries, Deep Space Nine was light years beyond all other Trek sequel series both before and after.

It was not a perfect series and had ups and downs (it took them two full seasons til the writers really got a handle on Sisko), but it was best realized series right out of the gate and I believe it has the most well written, intricate episodes compared to any other Trek show. :-D

I think if you rewatch it now with the perspective of the passage of time, the show still resonates (in some respects, it is even more relevant today) and does not feel dated like NextGen.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
it was best realized series right out of the gate

Yes that's true.

Top Bottom