• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the record, a recent SNL did a mildly amusing sketch of Kenan Thompson playing a physician-and-Worf-cosplayer called into the ER on his day off.

Mildly amusing.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I now kinda actually want to buy Soran's gun for $3k. I mean, sure, it'd be a hefty and useless expenditure, but if it were the only one, and actually featured in Generations, a movie I like much more than most? That would be pretty sweet... :biggrin:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will try not to get my hopes up, but the rumour mill is saying CBS mulling over a new Trek tv series...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-trek-exclusive-trek-is-going-to-return-to-tv

Considering how poorly CBS has treated Trek for the past decade, I am partly skeptical. But with Trek's 50th Anniversary rapidly approaching and the recent wave of revival old tv shows (24, Heroes, X-Files, Coach, Twin Peaks), I could see CBS jumping on the bandwagon. If true, I pray to the Great Bird of the Galaxy that JJ's Bad Robot is no where near this production.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
happy first contact day everybody! :d

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
happy first contact day everybody! :d

This is a thing?

star-trek-picard-facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1381.gif

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In 48 more years it will be. :D:lol::p

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As long as the Borg don't finish us off first. And yes, of course I'm talking about that group of Swedish extremists. ;)

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I will try not to get my hopes up, but the rumour mill is saying CBS mulling over a new Trek tv series...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/star-trek-exclusive-trek-is-going-to-return-to-tv

Considering how poorly CBS has treated Trek for the past decade, I am partly skeptical. But with Trek's 50th Anniversary rapidly approaching and the recent wave of revival old tv shows (24, Heroes, X-Files, Coach, Twin Peaks), I could see CBS jumping on the bandwagon. If true, I pray to the Great Bird of the Galaxy that JJ's Bad Robot is no where near this production.

CBS has been batting this around for a few years now. They couldn't go forward with any planes however due to ownership laws and apparently the ownership of various parts of Television Trek where in question until late last year. Paramount, CBS, and NBC agreed to new ownership rules. Paramount will continue producing movies, CBS won the Original Unaltered versions of the Original Series and can now produce a new TV Series, and NBC has the ownership rights to the Original Remastered Trek Series.

I've scrapped this information from little blurbs here and there over the years. Apparently it has something to do with DesiLou production, the producer of the original series, when they where bought out by Paramount and some of the rights reverted to NBC for some reason.

As for Bad Robot. They did give us Trek 2009 which was pretty awesome. So they have a 50/50 track record. I am convinced that Into Darkness turned out the way it did because JJ was showing Disney he could make a solid Space Opera that was not Trek. It was his resume for Star Wars which he was more excited about and familiar with.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adam Nimoy has launched a Kickstarter project entitled "FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK"....

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Get well soon, Nichelle Nichols, who recently had a (hopefully mild) stroke. As some of you may know, she is a very talented singer as well as an actress. Here she is singing a rather remarkable version of "Summertime" from _Porgy and Bess_ a few years ago. It would be an impressive performance for anyone, but it's even more impressive when you realize that she was about 80 at the time.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been thinking about stardates recently and how they were pretty random and nonsensical at first.

As modern Trek went on, the stardates became more consistent, so you could tell when episodes of different series are meant to occur in relation to each other. However, there were still some hiccups, such as DS9 season 2 (concurrent with TNG season 7) having an episode occurring on the fourth anniversary of Wolf 359 (TNG season 4 premiere), despite the fact that neither the stardate nor the passage of time in the real world matched up with that claim.

Today, I watched the first two episodes of Voyager ("Caretaker" and "Parallax"), and it got me wondering how a stardate would convert into an Earth date. The first digit, 4, is pretty much nonsense (an early "explanation" was "because it's the 24th century!"). The second digit is 8. The second digit of a modern stardate advances at a rate of 1 per season/year. TNG season 1's second digit was 1, and it occurred in 2364. That puts DS9 season 3 / VOY season 1 in 2371.

The first thing to do to convert to an Earth date is to take the last three digits (plus the decimal) and multiply by .365. The resulting figure will be the number of whole days that have passed in the year - and the percentage of the following day that has elapsed if you wanna get really hardcore.

The stardate in "Caretaker" is 48315.6. 115.194 had elapsed. Next, subtract days (one month at a time) until you have less than a month's worth of days left. Whichever month you had most recently deducted, you're now in the next month. Round the remaining days up to the next whole number. That stardate translates to April 26. It was around this time that the Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant, and the Maquis were assimilated into the Voyager's crew.

The next episode, "Parallax", has a stardate of 48439.7. That means Janeway got around to selecting her new chief engineer on June 10. Yeah...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Take a virtual tour of the Enterprise-D :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Not if you're Michael Dorn :p.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha. Poor Worf. But the random guy in the back is TOTALLY IN THERE!

Top Bottom