• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea Tom is right gotta add City on the Edge of Forever. I have quite the soft spot for The Doomsday Machine and The Enemy Within, but reave pretty much nailed it. The Devil in the Dark is a mini-monster movie and Shatner's favorite episode. Balance of Terror is the first encounter woth Romulans. Mirror, Mirror is a great one in bizarro-universe. The Trouble with Tribbles is a classic. And a plug for Amok Time because of horny Spock.

And then you have three other plotlines that reoccur. 'Gladiator Battle' like in Arena and "Infection" like This Side of Paradise and The Naked Time and "Alternate History" like Spectre of the Gun.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Essential Trek Viewing...

The Cage
Where No Man Has Gone Before
Balance of Terror
Arena
This Side of Paradise
The Naked Time
The Doomsday Machine
The Enemy Within
The Devil in the Dark
The Trouble with Tribbles
City on the Edge of Forever
Space Seed
Mirror, Mirror
The Tholian Web
Amok Time
The Ultimate Computer
Journey To Babel
All our Yesterdays

...oops, I better stop before I list everything... :lol:

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
no worries Frink. not thinking that u were calling me out on anything. i understand. and yeah, i do.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right, stop: collaborate, and STAR TREK GIRLS! :p

430935_471326226247566_1010592488_n.jpg

156182_471327156247473_1273352484_n.jpg

15994_471325199581002_311264973_n.jpg

397119_471325489580973_531420424_n.jpg

531895_471325662914289_647989535_n.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is awesome. Pardon the small image size, but be sure to read the whole thing:

2qvrzaa.jpg

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mom is cooking lunch and you're on the menu!

Anyway, this can't be authentic. Starfleet Academy rules are very strict about not mixing phasers and prescription drugs.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just posted an analysis of Star Trek seasons, series, and films, based on crunching averages of TV.com average user ratings. I discovered some surprising results.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Surprising indeed. Enterprise? Hmm. Maybe I should give it a chance.
I'm a Picard and Janeway fan myself. Picard was "my" Captain (like Davison was "my" Doctor). :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad to see there's someone else who obsesses about polls and averages the way I do. :)

Fascinating results, although part of the reasons why Enterprise gets such high ratings might be that 1) the notion of rating episodes online had really taken hold by then, and people who watched and liked the earlier series might not have bothered to rate them, and 2) the only people watching Enterprise by the time it got to Seasons 3 and 4 were the people who loved it anyway.

In other words, if 100 people rated TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds" and it averaged out to 8.5, but only 10 people watched the worst episode of Enterprise Season 3 but they all rated it above a 9 because they were die-hard Enterprise fans, it would seem like the Enterprise episode was better, but in fact there were more people weighing in on "Both Worlds" and therefore more chances for the number to be brought lower.

Mind you, I don't know how to fix that problem myself. I'm no mathematician. I'm just explaining what others have pointed out to me when I've done similar polls and rankings.

For instance, when I recently tallied up the viewers' ratings on the recent Doctor Who episodes on a DW forum, the much-maligned "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" wound up in the top 5, beating such well-regarded episodes as "The Doctor's Wife." (I'm not expecting you to know what these episodes are, just that the latter was much more well-received than the former.) People who saw the rankings and knew more about math than I do were able to adjust the results so that they made more sense, but I can't figure out how they did it.

Also please keep in mind that I'm only explaining this to you to help you solve the mystery of why the results are the way they are. In no way is this a criticism of your work! You put a lot of time and effort into this, and I loved poring over the results. In fact, now I think I'm going to tally up the Doctor Who results from TV.com myself. :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never watched Enterprise. I started, didn't dig it and tuned out. I never saw all of DS9 either and from what I'm gathering here - those were like the best Trek going! May have change my mind on those......

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
I just posted an analysis of Star Trek seasons, series, and films, based on crunching averages of TV.com average user ratings. I discovered some surprising results.

Fascinating...

Enterprise is definitely underrated. I did not really enjoy it when it first premiered, though I did love season four. But upon recently rewatching the entire series, I gained new appreciation for the series as a whole.

TOS is my First True Love but DS9 is by far and away the BEST Trek series for me.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:-o I can't believe that Voyager is rated better on average than TNG and TOS

I'm in the middle of watching Enterprise for the first time and it seems like things really pick up in the third season over the blandness of the first two; basically it keeps me distracted while doing cardio :) Oh and I still hate that stupid theme song.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
I'm in the middle of watching Enterprise for the first time and it seems like things really pick up in the third season over the blandness of the first two; basically it keeps me distracted while doing cardio :) Oh and I still hate that stupid theme song.

I really enjoyed the third season and the singular story arc. It was a nice change from the episodic nature of the previous seasons and incarnations.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
:-o I can't believe that Voyager is rated better on average than TNG and TOS

What I liked about season one was the wonder of exploration that the Enterprise crew felt, even though at times Archer seemed a bit too naive. During its original airing, I found seasons one and two very slow and anti-climatic, and many times found myself switching the channel to watch Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda which aired the same time. But now, after rewatching these two seasons, I sort of dig the new style of character oriented narration. As many issues I have with Berman and Braga, at least they were trying something new.

The Xindi Storyline of season three definitely amped up the action level, and forged Archer into a stronger, more iconic Trek Captain. But I thought the story resolution was weak.

I loved season four (except for the finale). To me, if the plan is to create a "prequel" series, this is how it should have been from the beginning. My only issue is it feels too jammed packed with Trek World Building at times. But I would have loved to have seen what they planned for season five.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I think I just found a new avatar:

PERFECT!

As I have often said, you are a Miracle Worker! ;-)

Top Bottom