• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Christopher Nolan

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This thread is just for talking about Christopher Nolan's movies and how AWESOME they are. Or, if you're one of THOSE people, how terrible they are.

Currently I have seen:
Batman Begins (10/10)
The Dark Knight (10/10)
Inception (9.5/10)
Memento (9.5/10)
The Prestige (9.5/10)

and about half of Following, which I would give 8.5/10 so far.

Hell yeah. Love his movies. You gotta check out Insomnia as well. Excellent non-WTF Nolan film.

I've seen all of those, including Following, except for The Prestige. Loved them all, except for Inception, which I thought was a boring, overrated, piece of shit.

Neglify said:
Hell yeah. Love his movies. You gotta check out Insomnia as well. Excellent non-WTF Nolan film.

Insomnia was good, but I preferred the original.

Neglify said:
You gotta check out Insomnia as well. Excellent non-WTF Nolan film.

I will! As soon as I finish Following, which I was watching on Netflix but didn't get a chance to finish yet. Once I see Insomnia, then I will have seen all his movies :) It's nice to have a director in Hollywood who focuses more on character development than *cough* explosions and girls and robots *cough*. There are a few other similar directors of course, but what I love about Nolan is that he isn't afraid to blaze new trails instead of trying to make as much money as possible through mindless crashes and fireballs.

Frantic Canadian said:
I've seen all of those, including Following, except for The Prestige.

Prestige is brilliant. It's very dark and hopeless, which in this case works well, and it's got lots of good twists. You kind of have to suspend belief for some things in it, but it's very entertaining.

QuickCut said:
Batman Begins (5/10)
The Dark Knight (5/10)
Inception (9.5/10)
Memento (9/10)
The Prestige (9.5/10)
Fixed.

TV's Frink said:

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight deserve a much better rating than 5/10, especially The Dark Knight. Inception, however, deserves a much lower rating.

Frantic Canadian said:
Batman Begins and The Dark Knight deserve a much better rating than 5/10, especially The Dark Knight. Inception, however, deserves a much lower rating.

You're wrong. :p

IMO The Prestige is his masterpiece, an absolute 10/10 films.

I really like the Batman films although I slightly prefer Batman Begins (8/10). TDK has some truly excellent stuff (better than BB in places), but its also really uneven. Reminds me a bit of Inglorious Basterds in that regard.

Inception I absolutely loved first time round, although i've now watched it about 3 times and with subsequent viewings it does go down in my estimation. Its nicely stylised, but I just feel like it's a bit empty: we don't really get to know any of the characters and the dialogue is far too expositional. As a dream heist movie it is fun but I don't think it works at the level it is implied to exist at. It treads the line of an arty blockbuster, I think it fails on the former and that drags it down on the latter. Still a pretty entertaining film though.

Only seen Memento once. It was good. Insomnia I rather liked as well, despite not being a fan of the genre.

Why don't you like the Nolan Batmans, Frink? haha, I'm sure this has been asked before :p

nice to read that some folk here aren't bleeding heart Inception fans! That whole movie reminds me of the source in The Matrix.

geminigod said:
nice to read that some folk here aren't bleeding heart Inception fans! That whole movie reminds me of the source in The Matrix.

My cousin said the same thing when she saw it, as did her son. I finally gave in and watched it and felt the same way.

FoolsFollowing said:
Inception I absolutely loved first time round, although i've now watched it about 3 times and with subsequent viewings it does go down in my estimation. Its nicely stylised, but I just feel like it's a bit empty: we don't really get to know any of the characters and the dialogue is far too expositional. As a dream heist movie it is fun but I don't think it works at the level it is implied to exist at. It treads the line of an arty blockbuster, I think it fails on the former and that drags it down on the latter. Still a pretty entertaining film though.
My thoughts exactly. Great experience in a theatre the first time, exposition snoozefest the second time on bluray.

Originally Posted by Frantic Canadian

TV's Frink said:
You're wrong. :p

You're both are wrong. TDK was great, at least an 8/10. Inception ruled. :p

I really like them all! He hasn't disappointed me so far

I love most of his movies. Didn't care all that much for The Dark Knight. Very overrated, but still enjoyable.

QuickCut said:
Why don't you like the Nolan Batmans, Frink? haha, I'm sure this has been asked before :p
Biggest problem was Bale, honestly. Didn't care for Gordon as an action hero. Also thought that Ledger's performance was way overrated due to his death (not his or Nolan's fault, but still). And I'm a huge Burton Batman fan and I really preferred his take on Batman.

I prefer the music and art direction in Burton's Batmans, and generally like his movies, but I loved Bale as Batman. It was nice to see Gordon have a bigger role, and I think Ledger's performance is perfect, whether or not he's dead. Nolan's Batmans also explored a lot more of his motivations and origins - the characters were a lot more complex than in Burton's - but I can see where you're coming from.

As for Inception, I've seen it three times now and it never got worse. In fact, I think it got better.

Back
Top Bottom