• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hunger Games

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got back from seeing this. Anyone else seen it yet?

I really enjoyed it. I only had one small problem with it and that was when some of the Tributes died early on, because I didn't know anything about them, I really didn't care that much (Apart from the fact that they were kids and shouldn't die like that). I went with someone who has read the book and they said that in the book you did get to know all of the Tributes more. In the movie, you pretty much know nothing about almost all of the Tributes.

Apart from that, it was a pretty awesome movie and I would recommend it to anyone. Everyone put in a good performance and was well cast I thought. It looked great and was really well paced. No really stand out moments or sequences. It was just a good solid all round movie from start to finish.

Maybe the Muttations were a bit dodgy looking for some people, but not in it long enough to really make a difference. I didn't mind them. Anything is better than the wolves in the Twilight movies!

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got absolutely no interest in seeing this. It looks like nothing more than a Battle Royale rip-off.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I've got absolutely no interest in seeing this. It looks like nothing more than a Battle Royale rip-off.
It is really nothing like Battle Royale. Just the basic concept is similar. It is as much of a ripoff as Matrix is a ripoff of TRON (probably bad example but you know what i am trying to say). I really liked it, there were many really good performances, it had a great build-up until the hunger games, it had some good action and it felt good overall. the only minor problem i have is that it has too much shaky cam going on and it could get confusing at parts because of that

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
It is really nothing like Battle Royale. The only minor problem i have is that it has too much shaky cam going on and it could get confusing at parts because of that.

I've seen Battle Royale too and I didn't think it had anything to do with that or that it was a rip-off. Yes, during some hectic fighting moments, I felt the camera was too far in and shaky, but I agree. A minor problem.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
It looks like nothing more than a Battle Royale rip-off.

That's what all the disinterested people are saying. Suzanne Collins had never even heard of Battle Royale when she wrote the book.

I saw it the day it came out and I thought it was really good. There was a little too much shaky-cam. I think they should have shortened the scenes before the Games a bit and had the Games last a little longer. Also, I think it would have had much more impact if they weren't obligated to keep it PG-13. Solid movie overall though.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
QuickCut said:
That's what all the disinterested people are saying. Suzanne Collins had never even heard of Battle Royale when she wrote the book.

Or so she claims. They're also touting this franchise as the next Twilight, meaning that it's a series of movies based on books for teenage girls. Now that the last Twilight film is done they're trying to find another franchise to get them into movie theaters and are hoping this one is it. Hell, if you go to the IMDB and type in "hunger games" the drop down menu will give you listings for The Hunger Games 3 and 4. Don't know why there's no listing for part 2 if 3 and 4 are listed already. Part 3 has a date of 2015.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Or so she claims.
But had the creator of Battle Royale heard of The Running Man? :p

220px-Running_Man_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
They're also touting this franchise as the next Twilight, meaning it's a series of movies based on books for teenage girls.

My 14 year old son has read the book and really enjoyed it and my 16 year old daughter has not read the book and told me today that she has no desire too either.

Whilst watching the movie, I never once thought that this was a movie for teenage girls and the audience in the cinema was a very mixed bag. I didn't see many teenage girls. In fact the row in front of me was made up almost entirely of teenage boys.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
They're also touting this franchise as the next Twilight

Eh, but it's a lot better than Twilight. I was able to sit through the first Twilight movie, I turned the second one off half way through.

Frantic Canadian said:
Don't know why there's no listing for part 2 if 3 and 4 are listed already

Part 2

Although I'm disappointed to hear they're making a Part 4. Why does every big franchise nowadays have to split the last movie in two? The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Twilight...

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:

220px-Running_Man_Theatrical_Poster.jpg

Battle Royale and Running Man are two completely different premises though. Granted they're both about survival, but Running Man is about one man trying to survive against a gauntlet of opponents, not about a group of people trying to survive against each other.

QuickCut said:
Part 2

Although I'm disappointed to hear they're making a Part 4. Why does every big franchise nowadays have to split the last movie in two? The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Twilight...

They've got it listed under an actual title. That would explain why it didn't pop up. :lol:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
speaking of running man - i wish "they" remade that more closely to the book rather than remaking total recall. but hey what can you do.
on topic. my brother liked hunger games and we're of similar tastes. i havent seen it because i am too poor at the moment.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
It looks like nothing more than a Battle Royale rip-off.
g1orkatsos said:
It is really nothing like Battle Royale. Just the basic concept is similar. It is as much of a ripoff as Matrix is a ripoff of TRON...
QuickCut said:
Suzanne Collins had never even heard of Battle Royale when she wrote the book.
Gaith said:

Has ANYBODY heard of "The Most Dangerous Game"?

Discussion over.

TM Productions

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen this twice. Once on a regular screen and again in imax, and let me just say that I LOVED IT! I read it in school for a book report I had to do. This is before I knew there was a huge following, or a movie, or other books in the series. I just thought it was a really good book. So, I was extremely excited to hear there was a huge following and a movie.

Let me just first say to all the twilight haters (let the record show I love the twilight series) this is NOTHING LIKE TWILIGHT! Yes, it is a teen book series, but I get really irritated (since i am a teen myself) that everyone hates on most teen series (book and movie) and compares them to twilight. They are not all like twilight! But we all have different opinions I guess...

ANYWAYS, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed it, it's not exactly like the book, and I do agree that they should have showed us more of the other tributes like in the book, but it was already a 2 hour movie, so any longer would have just been ridiculous. I also wished the movie would have explained more about Katniss' father's death and her raising her sister and mother. But I guess they had to cut a lot of backstory out for time reasons.

I recommend if you liked the movie, go read the book, you get a lot more emotional connections.

And I agree the shaky cam was a little much when the one girl was fighting with Katniss over the medicine.

Overall, 10/10 for me! :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it's this or Wrath of the Titans.

Rotten Tomatoes gives WotT 24%
It gives The Hunger Games 85%

This quote is priceless:

For those with a burning curiosity to know how The Lord of the Rings as directed by Michael Bay might look, Wrath of the Titans provides an idea.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The most dangerous game is for sure the story that inspired all those modern day survival movies, but Hunger Games and Battle Royale's similiarities are glarring beyond belief.

I thought the movie was ok, it reminded me how awesome Battle Royale is so that's always a positive thing. Also compared to Twilight Hunger Games is a really good improvement. Strong female lead with actual character, the setting is not just windowdressing (as the vampires are in Twilight) and it has a beginning middle and end which makes sense - which too can't be said about Twilight

So while I was not vowed I think it might be a cool way for many teenagers to get introduced to those darker stories that have been mentioned. Contrary to Twilight which makes you shout "this is not a vampire movie" Hunger Games is an entry in a genre that doesn't make you feel dirty for watching it

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
This quote is priceless:
For those with a burning curiosity to know how The Lord of the Rings as directed by Michael Bay might look, Wrath of the Titans provides an idea.

Please, don't give him any ideas :p

Top Bottom