• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Continues Featuring Chris Doohan and Grant Imahara

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Youtube user Deep Homage used deepfake technology to replace Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn's faces with those of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in some "Star Trek Continues" scenes.

Good lord! Someone needs to do this with every scene and character ::p (and it could make NV/PHASE II  more consistent!)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Deep Homage has now released a second "Star Trek Continues" deepfake video:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently Vic is at the centre of some big controversies pertaining to his conduct at conventions and as a result, Rooster Teeth have terminated their business relationship with him.

https://roosterteeth.com/post/51982081

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Apparently Vic is at the centre of some big controversies pertaining to his conduct at conventions and as a result, Rooster Teeth have terminated their business relationship with him.

https://roosterteeth.com/post/51982081

This is nothing new. It's mostly old (many about a decade old, in fact) unproven, sometimes anonymous, and sometimes outright disproven allegations getting dredged up because of the success of the new Broly movie that he's in. Vic Mignogna has been accused of just about everything under the sun numerous times before, including some things that have been proven untrue. It's not even the first time that people have tried to get Rooster Teeth to fire him.

Here's a page that debunks a few of the rumors that have been spread about him over the years, complete with links to some corroboration:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Some of the accusations don't even hold up on face value. I've even seen people passing off a photo of him hugging a smiling adult fan (19 years old if I recall right) and claiming that she was only about 14 and he was hugging her against her will.

That's not to say that there's no chance whatsoever that some of the allegations against him are true, but when such a large number have turned out to be provably false and there's a lack of video evidence for some things that one would assume would get recorded if he did them in public as often as some people claim (for instance, he frequently gets accused of unwanted physical advances at conventions - which are always full of video cameras, but every single one of the near-infinite number of videotaped instances of him hugging or otherwise touching a fan is clearly initiated or welcomed by the fan), it seems likely that there is a contingent of people that are determined to smear him. My guess is it could be because he's very public about his Christianity (even sometimes holding prayer meetings at conventions), and that ticks some people off, even though he has never been a jerk about his beliefs and has even opposed certain types of "fire and brimstone" street preachers.

He even once did a whole event at a convention in order to dispel a number of the rumors about him. In case anyone is interested, here is a series of videos of the event in which he addressed the various accusations (it's all from the same event, it's split into so many videos because it was uploaded back in the days of Youtube's 10 minute per video limit):

Recently, (January 20, 2019), he posted the following on Twitter:

This is heartbreaking. Over the last few days, a number of comments and allegations have been voiced on social media. I’d like to share my thoughts.

Homophobic? No! Some of my dearest friends are members of the LGBTQ community, including several that I brought into my production family on Star Trek Continues. This is a blatantly false statement. I said many years ago that I didn’t think a particular character I voiced was gay, contrary to what some fans believed, not because it matters to me AT ALL, but because I was told this was the case. I also elected not to autograph Yaoi, not because I am homophobic but because I didn’t wish to sign material that was not canon.

Anti-Semitic?? I couldn’t even grasp where this was coming from until someone pointed me to a moment years ago where I was in a panel and referred to a bunch of noise coming from another room jokingly as a “holocaust.” As I said then, it was a metaphor for armageddon, death, and mass destruction, but not “THE Holocaust.” Could I have chosen a different word? Sure, in retrospect I could have. And, of course, I am sorry that it offended anyone.

I sincerely apologize to any convention staff member who ever felt I was anything less than kind and grateful to be included in their event. Unknown to most staffers, contractual arrangements made in advance with cons were occasionally not honored when I arrived and that made me frustrated. That does not excuse making anyone feel badly and I am deeply sorry.

I would also like to sincerely apologize to anyone who ever felt my interaction with them (a hug or a kiss on the cheek or forehead) was crossing a line. Never in a million years would it be my intent to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Rather, it was meant to show gratitude or support. I come from an affectionately expressive family where such displays are commonplace. But I understand that not everyone feels the same way. Hence, I will not be interacting in the same way with fans in the future. Understand this is the climate we live in and this is how it has to be. To my fans who ask me for hugs, etc., I’m sorry, but please know that I am no less grateful to or support of you!

Finally, any allegations of sexual harassment, sexual assault, or most disturbingly, pedophilia, are COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY FALSE. My heart weeps for anyone who endures a violation of this kind, so to be accused of harming others in this way….I have no words.

He also addressed some of the same allegations a few years ago when there was a petition to have him fired from a voice acting job.

http://www.mcmbuzz.com/blog/2014/11/29/vic-mignognas-response-on-the-petition/

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Weird, I actually thought Vic was gay. Mind you, I've never delved into his personal details, I only know him from Continues, never seen the animes he's voiced (I grew out of that stuff ten years ago)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Weird, I actually thought Vic was gay.

Really? I assumed that everyone that watched "Star Trek Continues" knew that Michele Specht (Dr. McKennah on the show) is his fiancé.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen too many personal stories on Twitter to believe that he's actually entirely guilt free. Now, I've been a big fan of his work for years, and I want to believe it's false, but inside I can feel that there's some truth in all of this. I'll still watch his works though.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I've seen too many personal stories on Twitter to believe that he's actually entirely guilt free.

The things that make me skeptical of most if not all of the accusations, though, are that A: a big chunk of the actions that he's accused of allegedly occurred at conventions (which are almost always chock full of cameras), yet there has yet to be one shred of photographed or video-recorded evidence of one instance of any of them, and B: I've seen so many provably false accusations against him that I think that there's almost definitely a contingent of people that intentionally set out to spread rumors about him. Now, some people crying wolf does not mean that everyone has to be lying. So I can't rule out the possibility that some of the accusations could be true. But when it comes to accusations of bad behavior in such highly videotaped and photographed areas as conventions, I'm very skeptical until I see evidence.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not all conventions have security cameras everywhere. Even just relying on people recording such events themselves, the chance of the VICtom finding out that someone recorded it, let alone find and retrieve the evidence to report it is unlikely. But say the person who recorded it posted a video online of Vic harassing someone, chances are it's too crowded and noisy, thus the sound isn't being picked up, and you're left with a context-less video where you can't tell if what's going on is consentual, or that he's actually eyeing the person standing behind the minor, or spitting homophobic babble. He can deny everything as much as he wants, but it's his word against many others.
Believe what you will, I just personally don't agree with the convention recording defense.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Zarius said:
Weird, I actually thought Vic was gay.

Really? I assumed that everyone that watched "Star Trek Continues" knew that Michele Specht (Dr. McKennah on the show) is his fiancé.

Again, never delved into the personal details of anyone working on these....I probably should of.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vic Mignogna addressed some of the accusations against him at a recent convention appearance.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That seemed like a really genuine apology. I don't think he ever intended to do anybody harm. He put forward what his intentions were, recognizes that his actions were not received in the way he intended, and instead of putting the blame on others for how they took his actions, recognizes that he should have realized people don't all want the same type of interaction. If only all apologies were this heartfelt. Well done, Vic.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen a number of videos about the allegations and controversy recently, but this one is special. It's an in-depth examination of the genesis and history of many of the allegations (especially the ones that were around before the creation of the KickVic hashtag), and to the degree possible with the resources available to the video's creator, an examination of the reliability of most of the claims covered. A lot of the information covered in the video is old news to me (as I've been following this for years), but to anyone who doesn't know much about the details or history of the allegations and would like a good crash course, this is the best one that I've seen so far. It's an excellent aggregation of much of what I was able to uncover in the past.

Disclaimer: the video's creator believes Vic Mignogna to most likely be innocent of most or all of the allegations, but she presents and examines the available evidence in a sufficiently objective manner so that viewers can get an accurate presentation of the evidence from the video. Regardless of the opinions that she expresses, the research itself is good enough to give you a good crash course on most of the available evidence regarding the older claims, and is a good starting point if you desire to research the allegations in general. The first three and a half minutes are her commenting on some of the newer developments in the case, but then she dives into the available evidence regarding the pre-existing allegations.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vic Mignogna recently released the following statement on Twitter:

Words cannot express the depth of my gratitude for all the kindness and support that has been shown to me over the last few weeks. I had hoped that my apologies and acknowledgments, both public and private, would be received. But I have now very reluctantly retained a law firm as my last and only recourse to attempt to salvage my reputation and my 20-year career in this industry.

A friend expressed a desire to set up a GoFundMe for legal expenses, I approved his kind offer and am so grateful, but I am not managing it, nor will I personally receive any of it. Any surplus will go to the Salvation Army Dallas Domestic Violence Abuse Shelters.

I hold no malice towards anyone. I just love my work and the fans, and sincerely wish to continue.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A very interesting video about one person's experiences with Vic Mignogna and her viewpoint on the allegations. Warning: she does get into some personal details about her life that some may find disturbing.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0zpqrKBA5w[/video]

Top Bottom