• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Continues Featuring Chris Doohan and Grant Imahara

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Treknews.net reports that Farragut Films is producing a new web series called Star Trek Continues, featuring Mythbusters star Grant Imahara as Mr. Sulu, Star Trek New Voyages alumna Kim Stinger as Lt. Uhura, and James Doohan's son Chris as Scotty.

Given how close this is to April Fool's Day, I'd take this news with a grain of salt for the moment. Still, interesting if true...

Here's (supposedly) the promo poster:

star-trek-continues-cast.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nope not a trick. All true.

Farragut Films is the home of the Trek webseries Starship Farragut,
and Vic Mignogna has been heavily involved with the Phase II webseries for for years.
So I am understandably curious what these fellows will produce.:)

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna have to agree. Don't think this will be an April Fool's Joke just yet. Hopefully nothing like the dreaded IGN fake Zelda movie preview they put together some time ago.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting info, Bob! Updated the thread title to remove the question mark :)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. Sounds like a real mess. I suppose it goes a long way towards explaining why he's been working towards creating what is essentially a "competing" product, though...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Wow. Sounds like a real mess. I suppose it goes a long way towards explaining why he's been working towards creating what is essentially a "competing" product, though...

Also may explain why it is taking so long to release the KITUMBA episode since it was filmed long before THE CHILD.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still a bit leery about this, considering the awkwardness of the break with Phase II, but I have to admit that the stills look cool (especially Chris Doohan, naturally).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Still a bit leery about this, considering the awkwardness of the break with Phase II, but I have to admit that the stills look cool (especially Chris Doohan, naturally).

Thought it was interesting there was absolutely no mention of his break from PHASE II.

Also not certain how he plans on meeting his aggressive set construction and episode release schedule, since I assume it is all volunteer time like PHASE II.

But as they say, the proof will be in the pudding.:D

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So let me see if I get this straight: The director of "Kitumba" holds on to the footage for 3 years and won't let the production team behind the whole series have any of it. Then he claims that their hold-ups have prevented the footage being shown, and releases the episode without their final consent. As if that wasn't enough, he deliberately waits to release "Kitumba" until another Phase II episode is released ("The Child"), thus stealing that episode's thunder.

Then, even though the Phase II production team has continued to behave very civilly towards him despite everything, he starts his own competing TOS fan film series for no other reason than to further spit in the face of the Phase II crew.

If I'm not misreading or misunderstanding anything, then this guy is a total jerk who deserves absolutely no attention. I don't care if he manages to bring Gene Roddenberry back from the dead to write an episode. I hope the whole thing blows up in the guy's face and that everyone refuses to work with him until he learns some manners.

Maybe there's more to it that I don't understand, but that's how the whole situation reads to me right now.

Besides, there really isn't a need for two competing TOS fan film series. If anything, I would be more receptive to a TNG fan film series. That at least would be something different.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/19/first-look-and-details-for-star-trek-continues-fan-production/

This is EXACTLY how New Voyages started. There's nothing exactly new in that press release - I remember anticipating Come What May. Phase II got me interested in the original 79 episodes, which I hadn't been before. My belief is this exists purely because Mignogna wants to play Kirk.

It looks high quality and they've got Chris Doohan for example, but Phase II has professionals from all fields working on their show too. Yes, the casting is interesting. but if these people think they're breaking new ground they're deluded. Some of them (including co-director Jack Marshall) started at Phase II/New Voyages. I probably will look at it, but I like the fact that Cawley's show is relaunching and moving forward towards the Movie Era.

I'm not one to troll, but the way they word this is as if nothing like this has ever been tried before. That what annoys me, considering all the hard work that has gone on in Port Henry. I fear that rivalry will begin, and that's not good. I emailed Mignogna to ask when the show first began, and he said that 'the difference is we have professional scripts and actors.'

WALTER KOENIG?! DAVID GERROLD!? People who worked with GENE RODDENBERRY back in the 1960s.

I pledge my alliegence to Cawley and Phase II, proudly watch updates on Facebook like a (Klingon!!) Bird of Prey, and easily await to learn what this relaunch is all about.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WOW! If this is a hint of things to come....!

Very slick production values and great performances. Crawley and Co. have some serious competition on their hands.

<em>

and an interview with the cast....

<em>

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, I wasn't sure what to make of this at first, but I have to say that Doohan does his dad proud and Grant Imahara does a pretty impressive Takei.

I'd also like to note that Kevin Haney does the prosthetic effects. He's got many ties to actual ST episodes, he's an Academy Award winner for Driving Miss Daisy...and he happens to be the father of my wife's oldest friend :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a new 3 minute vignette....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They have released their third vignette... don't really care for the Kirk performance in this one, but Scotty is perfect!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He really is! I don't think I could do my dad nearly as well, though I suppose it helps that it's a stylized performance. :)

Amazing sets, photography, and everything. Too bad about that Kirk... if you can't find a great one, and I mean a great one, don't do one at all! :p

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You guys are drunk! Bill shatner was excelent in this one!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, technically this is STARSHIP FARRAGUT, but they are now working with the CONTINUES team, and Vic Mignogna guest stars as Kirk. The episode itself if probably the best work the Farragut team has done to date, definitely has a TOS feel. The acting as always is good to average. But the more I see of Mignogna's interpretation of Kirk, the less I like it.

Top Bottom