• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Womble Export problem

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no idea what the hell is wrong with this thing. When I export (using ADM's magnificent guide), at 23% the damn thing just slows down to an unbearable pace. It goes to 23% in about 4 minutes, but then it slows down and exports about a 10/30 parts of a second every five minutes. I can't keep my PC running for 40+ hours which probably is what this would take... So umm, any advice?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds like smart rendering has turned to encoding.
This happens when Womble needs to encode, because your alterations won't let it smart render. From what I know, it will return to smart rendering after the encoding of the scene is done, so the prognosed time it takes might be not accurate.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
sounds like smart rendering has turned to encoding.
This happens when Womble needs to encode, because your alterations won't let it smart render. From what I know, it will return to smart rendering after the encoding of the scene is done, so the prognosed time it takes might be not accurate.
But that hardly makes much sense since the possible encoding continued even in places where I hadn't made even the slightest alteration.

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When you click export and then click 'detail' it will show you what it intends to re-encode (red) or stream copy / smart render (blue).

If there are large amounts of re-encoding, it will indeed take an age.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zebedee said:
When you click export and then click 'detail' it will show you what it intends to re-encode (red) or stream copy / smart render (blue).

If there are large amounts of re-encoding, it will indeed take an age.
53jqjw5.jpg

This sucks. Is there any other way to do this? Like can I open up the project and extract it in a program that doesn't spend a gazillion years on it?

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you done anything significant to the video at that point? It seems odd that it wants to re-encode everything from that point onwards.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zebedee said:
Have you done anything significant to the video at that point? It seems odd that it wants to re-encode everything from that point onwards.
I haven't done anything beyond that point other than just cutting scenes out of the whole thing.

EDIT: I just noticed something that might cause it. Will report back in a moment.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you're going to use transitions then you dont want to do them in womble because of exactly this problem. as for taking an age thats something im afraid you're going to have to get used to.

a 5 pass VBR encode (final stage before dropping movie into dvd lab) takes anything up to 13 hours on my PC. its just a fact of life im afraid that it takes forever. think how long it must of took for the phantom editor back in 2001 using a 400mhz Mac!!!!

if you haven't used any transitions then i have no idea why it might be trying to re-encode 3/4 of the movie. it might be an idea to post all the encode settings you're using in womble to see if theres somethng wrong there.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
if you haven't used any transitions then i have no idea why it might be trying to re-encode 3/4 of the movie. it might be an idea to post all the encode settings you're using in womble to see if theres somethng wrong there.
I hadn't used transitions. I now know what the problem is. At one point, I was working on fading the video. I tried adding a filter, but eventually found an easier way to do it. However, apparently the filter was added at that point, and it stayed in all the clips that I created after that with editing. After removing the filter from all the clips, I hope that it'll be normal.

And a 5-pass DVD encoding using CCE takes about 11 hours on my PC, just a btw.

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, adding a filter within womble will result in the problem you experienced.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well done for fixing the mistake.

Lace & Whiskey Fan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is your version of Womble out of date? From looking at that screenshot, it seems that it might. Unless there is an option to change the look of the program. Anyways, this happened to me aswell, but usually just for a few minutes.

Lace & Whiskey Fan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is funny, because now I'm having the same problem! I got to 64%, and then it just completly slowed down, it's now at 74%, 1 hour later! I don't have any transitions or fades, what's up?

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lace & Whiskey Fan said:
This is funny, because now I'm having the same problem! I got to 64%, and then it just completly slowed down, it's now at 74%, 1 hour later! I don't have any transitions or fades, what's up?
You sure? Check the video you've made, like in the editing timeline. Check the clips during which it slowed down. If there's a small downwards pointing triangle at the end of any clips, that clip has a filter of some sort.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
think how long it must of took for the phantom editor back in 2001 using a 400mhz Mac!!!!

It's what keeps me motivated, to be sure. =)

By the way, when you talk about us not doing transitions in Womble (and I agree - though I did have to use just one fade out that worked well since it faded to black anyway with 30 frames of the alpha blend) what program would you recommend for doing a second pass to add those things in? I'm done with the editing phase (short of resyncing) of my current movie, and I just need to build the menu, but I'm definitely in the market for some new tools for the next film I attempt.

Zebedee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don?t think Womble is as bad as some make it out.

With The Thin Red Line, I did my entire editing; including fades in & out etc. and was happy with the results. Only used TMPGEnc for menus and authoring

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GyRo567 said:
By the way, when you talk about us not doing transitions in Womble (and I agree - though I did have to use just one fade out that worked well since it faded to black anyway with 30 frames of the alpha blend) what program would you recommend for doing a second pass to add those things in?

prob vegas or ulead media studio, boon is probably a better informed man to ask as so far i haven't needed to use any transitions so haven't bothered figuring it out yet.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've never used Ulead media studio... but vegas has many many different kinds of video transitions...... (and audio transitions of course). fades, wipes, iris, weird things where the screen flips or rotates or all kinds of useless crap lol just to let you know.

EDIT: yeah...all the transitions in vegas can be customized as well... as well as all kinds of framing, matting, etc. ...... you can even control the velocity of the video ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have also heard the new pinnacle 11 handles some kind of "intelligent rendering"
Ulead has an incredible number of transitions that can all be changed to your likings.
It is a perfect tool for transitions, video- and audiowise. If it could handle smart rendering it would be THE tool for fanedits.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a friend who knows how to use Vegas (unfortunately he lives a few thousand miles away - oddly in the outskirts of Las Vegas - but he comes out here every once in a while) so I think I'll try that one. Is it well rounded enough to replace Womble entirely?

Top Bottom