• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Apollo 13: The Super 8 Cut

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
apollo13super8poster.png

Fanedit Name: Apollo 13: The Super 8 Cut
Brief Synopsis: Apollo 13: it's one of my very favorite films ever, it's simply fantastic! So why edit the movie? Because i really wanted to see a super 8 cut of it and thought that if super 8 digests were still being made than an Apollo 13 digest would likely exist, and I think it would have looked something like this single reel edit.
Faneditor Name: Rogue-theX
Tagline: Lift off! Houston, we have a fan edit. I repeat, we have a fan edit!
Original Film Name: Apollo 13
Studio Name: Universal
Genre: Historical Drama
Fanedit Type: TrueFan Edit
Original Running Time: 139 minutes
Original Release Date: 1995
Fanedit Running Time: 17 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: march 2012
Amount of time cut.: 122 minutes
Intention: To edit the film down to one good single reel super 8 digest.

CUT LIST:
1. Created simple opening and end credit sequences.
2. Old film look/sound added.
3. Removed many plot points and charachters in order to reach the desired run time.
4. Used music from the end credits to re-score some parts of the movie, and replaced sound effects during such parts.
5. Carefully re-framed the image from the 2.35:1 AR to 16x9.
6. Experimented with a new camera/projector/print wobble effect by using a De-shaking tool in an unconventional way, only during scenes that could benefit from such an effect.
7. 3:09; added zoom in effect to shot of marilyn lovell in order to add extra focus to her emotions, it wasn`t necessary but with the shorter run time i though it might help since we see very little of her at the start of this version. I also added a zoom out effect to the shot directly after (the rocket going through the clouds) to complement the previous effect.
8. 4:30; added comm transmission filter to the flight control guy`s dialog.
9. 9:53; added shots from the night before launch scene to illustrate that Marilyn was in Jim`s thoughts.

THIS IS AN ANIMORPHIC 16x9 RELEASE WITH 2.0 MONAURAL AUDIO

Technical Info: Womble, Gimp, Virtualdub (with many filters), HCencoder, Avisynth, Goldwave, Wavepad, Handbrake
Release information: mkv, vimeo

Special Notes/Thanks: This edit was inspired by the super 8 star wars telecine transfers done by Puggo, and by super 8 digests uploaded to youtube by GhostHost1969, Thank you: 3rdman, BionicBob, Captain Khajiit, Dwight Fry, Gatos, GhostHost1969, Kal-El, Leeroy, L8wrtr, Puggo, QuickCut and everyone at fanedit.org, originaltrilogy.com and 8mmforum.film-tech.com.

[align=center]

Cover art

If it weren't for the Frink i would have made one final post in the other thread, but nooooooooo. I didn't even get i to say "Initiate operation LOCKDOWN!" Goddamn click-happy frink :p :D

@ Whispers:
I can't wait for the DVD version of this (any timeline on that?)...AOTC and Wolfman Super 8's are top notch edits Rogue... Everyone should check those out as well (if they haven't already)Cover art looks sweet as well...Looking forward to this one...
Thank's man :) It was decided, however, that this edit will only be released on vimeo and an MKV, but it will later appear on dvd in another super 8 collection :)

PERFECT.

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

How you are able to distill this epic movie to less than 20 minutes and keep all the emotional drama intact is beyond me, but BRAVO SIR, BRAVO!

I think you made the right choice aging the movie, definitely feels like it could be from the late 60s or early 70s. You masterfully manipulated the James Horner score. I loved how you keep the colours a little cleaner and brighter during Lovell's Moonwalk Dream. I love how you cut it so Lovell and his wife are looking at each other through their windows. I can not think of one single thing I did not like. For me, complete perfection!

Thank you Rogue!!! :)

Rogue-theX said:
If it weren't for the Frink i would have made one final post in the other thread, but nooooooooo. I didn't even get i to say "Initiate operation LOCKDOWN!" Goddamn click-happy frink :p :D
Hey, no one made you start this thread first. ;)

bionicbob said:
PERFECT.

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

How you are able to distill this epic movie to less than 20 minutes and keep all the emotional drama intact is beyond me, but BRAVO SIR, BRAVO!

I think you made the right choice aging the movie, definitely feels like it could be from the late 60s or early 70s. You masterfully manipulated the James Horner score. I loved how you keep the colours a little cleaner and brighter during Lovell's Moonwalk Dream. I love how you cut it so Lovell and his wife are looking at each other through their windows. I can not think of one single thing I did not like. For me, complete perfection!

Thank you Rogue!!! :)

Thank you for the review, Bob, Im glad you like it :)

TV's Frink said:
Hey, no one made you start this thread first. ;)

I didn't start this thread first, Frink, i started the ITW thread first, so there :p

Rogue-theX said:

@ Whispers:Thank's man :) It was decided, however, that this edit will only be released on vimeo and an MKV, but it will later appear on dvd in another super 8 collection :)

Sounds like a plan.... I'll convert it to DVD with Covert X... and wait for what is to come with this mystery Super 8 collection release you mention :-D

When will the download link be made available....

Rogue-theX said:
I didn't start this thread first, Frink, i started the ITW thread first, so there :p
I meant you should have answered in the ITW thread before you started this one, so there!

Get that super 8 collection released!
Theres people waiting for it :p

Watched this edit tonight. Fantastic job Rogue! I loved it. 9/10!

Thank's, Neg, Im happy you enjoyed it. :)

Yeah, this is a really legit edit, can't wait for the collection!

And sorry for being a grammar nazi, but you keep spelling "thanks" with an apostrophe. :p

Thank's Quickcut, and thank's for pointing out the typo, im an expert though so i think i can tipe jezt fine tank's. :D

Oh and why is this not released yet? I submitted everything to L8wrtr, like two or three weeks ago, is it cause its only 17mins, is that it?

Because L8wrtr blows and is a hack. Oh, wait...

L8wrtr has handed his duties over to other, younger faces.. your information is being processed. Thank you for choosing Fanedit.org.

Roger that, Huston, and i guess it was only one week ago so... oops.

:behindsofa:

The Space Program is thankful for you're support. Roger/doger, over-and-out over Macho Grande. Ill never get over Macho Grande. :(

Jim Lovell said:
6284.jpg

Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap will ya? Weve all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Rogue. I mean, up here there are litterally hundreds of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing! There flashing, and there beeping! I cant stand it anymore!

Masterful editing. Rogue hacks away at boring filler to tell a story with grace and economy. A testament to the quality of this version: I don’t think I can watch the original again.

Thank's for the feedback, ssj, Im happy you enjoyed it! :)

I don’t think I can watch the original again.

Johnny The Boy said:
25575.gif

Toecutter, this isn't what i want...

...a car accident later...

Rogue the-EX said:
frazetta-conan1.jpg

Do it, for freedom, and the knight rider...

ssj said:

I can't stand the pain!!!...

RogueTheX- said:
frazetta-conan1.jpg

Listen to me you Sexy Space Jockey, WATCH IT!!!

ssj said:

Aaaaahhhh!!!...

clockworkorangegifd.gif

..............................^ ssj
apollo+18+1.jpg

^ actual Apollo 13 screenshot ^

wait, dude. . . how didja know the exact type of headgear i wear when i watch moobies?

Back
Top Bottom