• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Michael Bay's TMNT

i heard a radio interview with the dude that played Raph. that elevator scene was an unscripted fun time romp. they apparently did that all the time off camera just to play around. so they threw that in. the guy in the interview even admitted it's his favorite part in the entire film.

^ You know, I could actually believe that that scene was an unscripted outtake, because it's really off from the rest of the "humor" the writers try to throw in this movie.

Hell, the only reason I started laughing at it was because it was so absurd and came out of nowhere, but it was a scene that had a real silliness and genuine sense of the fun of the ninja turtles that was sorely missing for most of the movie (I could honestly believe that they would just do some random stupid thing like beatboxing or something weird like that to pump themselves up before a battle).

Y'know, if one actually thinks about it for even a minute, the whole "four teenage brothers raised underground in total isolation and trained to fight" concept is kinda massively messed up... Making the below perhaps the most psychologically honest TMNT film to date:

i saw this last night with the family and i have to say i liked it, it wasn't award winning film making but it was fun and the look of the turtles didn't look that bad(well it wasn't bothing me), i remember reading he original comics before the cartoon, when Leonardo lost his hand and Raph become the shredder (yes all this is true). the ooze is called mutagen in this movie and yes they were test subjects that escaped the only difference is they were Aprils pets. the cartoon turned the the origin in to a kids version it did not keep the original origin story and the original comics were very dark and more adultish. so this movie is not that bad and it was fun (im not saying it does not have problems because it does) but it is not as bad as i was reading about.

On the flip-side, I was surprised by how much I hated it when I finally saw it last week.

The paper-thin characterizations of the Turtles play back-up to April "I only have one expression" O'Neil and a Vern that's only slightly less annoying than the cartoon version. Shredder is practically an afterthought in both his Shredder suit (where he may as well just be a dangerous robot) and as Saki (the painfully obvious reshoots bring little to the story beyond splitting Sacks and Saki into two people). Splinter manages to become a martial arts master from just a thin book in very little time (as shown by how little the Turtles grow) but then takes a lot longer to train them all up to a level below him. The Turtle designs have an "everything and the kitchen sink" approach...they seriously look like every idea was incorporated into them. Broken glasses, backpack, seashell necklace, hoodie tied around the waist, sunglasses, dew-rag, tattoos, scarification, ever-present toothpick in the mouth...they all look like they were designed by the same people that came up with Poochie.

I'm not even going to start on the storyline. No point.

I've seen people keep saying, "Michael Bay didn't direct it, he only produced it!" (as though that is some kind of defense) ...he may as well have directed it. The only thing that would have been different is it would have had even more product placement and probably be a half-hour longer.

The only thing that surprised me about your review was the part where you said how surprised you were by how much you hated it. ;)

TV's Frink said:
The only thing that surprised me about your review was the part where you said how surprised you were by how much you hated it. ;)
I knew going in that there would be things I didn't like, but I always want to like movies like this. I really wanted Turtles to be good. And Transformers. And Terminator Salvation. And Star Trek Into Darkness. I wish I lived in a world where they were all awesome movies. :(

I expected to hate parts of Turtles and not mind some parts and like some parts. I was kind of unprepared for how across-the-board shitty it was. As I watched it, within only a few minutes I started mentally cataloguing the things I could do with a fan edit, but by the end of it I had abandoned any real drive to even try.

my kids who are 8,4 and 2 all sat threw it and and still recall lines from the movie they thought the turtles looked silly but they would watch this over the nick cartoon. Casey is going to be in the second one he is Aprils roommate, and really a movie about mutant turtles was really going to be smart cinema. the story line was a normal action movie story line (use any excuse to throw action in there), i hated how it was all about April instead of the turtles. it took a long time to get over the way they look.

but all in all it was a normal action movie, with 6 foot tall mutant turtles in it. it could have been better if it gave us more turtles less April so it could give us more characterization for the turtles.

i read some were that there is more than 30 mins of deleted footage that did not make it in to the final cut from storyline to action scenes.

Reaper, please don't take my view of the film as an argument at all. Everyone likes different things, and I'm glad it worked for you. I wish it did for me, I really do. :)

reaper18783x said:
and really a movie about mutant turtles was really going to be smart cinema.
I strongly disagree with this though. (Assuming you meant "was never going to be smart cinema") In my opinion, "popcorn" movies don't get some automatic exemption for being written or executed poorly.

Uncanny Antman said:
Reaper, please don't take my view of the film as an argument at all. Everyone likes different things, and I'm glad it worked for you. I wish it did for me, I really do. :)

I strongly disagree with this though. (Assuming you meant "was never going to be smart cinema") In my opinion, "popcorn" movies don't get some automatic exemption for being written or executed poorly.

yeah you are cool i see were you are coming from as i said it was not perfect it did have a lot of problems.
but i have never seen a popcorn movie that made me think wow that was some good writing that is all.
Hollywood has been making some really dumb and bad movies i could write a big list of the movies i hated or disappointed in more than this, but i kinda walked in to this movie thinking it would be worse than a nightmare on elm street remake and something dumber than 2012, so i guess that is why i did not mind it well it was better than the new transformers movie. or most of Micheal bays movies hes made since transformers 2. but dont get me wrong i do understand were you are coming from it could have been a lot better than it was.

Y'know, I think the young African-American fellow here has the appropriate reaction to this particular line of inquiry:

JasonN said:
I can confirm that statement to be very, very, very..... VERY true :| went to see the movie just this afternoon, should've gone with my gut instinct and seen Guardians of the Galaxy for a second time instead.

- the story is generic and plain beyond an understatement and there are wayyyy too many instances of plot coincidences involving April to move the story forward

- the "rewriting" of the turtles origins isn't just unnecessary, it's completely retardedly stupid :| So now not only were Splinter and the turtles test subjects for April's scientist dad, but were also her pets that she saved from a fire and dropped into the sewers? Splinter wasn't the pet of a Japanese master martial artist, but just a lab rat?? Splinter learned martial arts not from watching and mimicking his master, but just from a random book he happened to find in the sewers?!? Give me a f**king break....

- Megan Fox is a f**king terrible actress, plain and simple. She could not act her way out of a wet paper bag covered in sh*t and piss :p

- No Casey Jones.... that sucks. Instead we get Vernon, the stupid schmuck from the cartoon series who originally was a cowardly liar always trying to one-up April in a news story. And he's been turned into a love interest, lovely....

- a lot of shaky-cam in the action scenes. For a movie where your lead action characters are CG humanoid turtles, that is absurd

- the villains are one dimensional beyond belief, the Shredder is just an evil bad guy with no personality (seriously, Ronan from Guardians of the Galaxy had more of an identity and presence than Shredder) and the millionaire/scientist character (can't even remember his name, Sachs?) is like an older version of that human jackass from TF3 that you knew was evil the moment you see him on screen.

- the villains "evil plan" is honestly one of the dumbest evil plans I've seen in a movie in years

- I only laughed once in the entire movie: it's when the turtles are in the elevator going up to their final battle with the Shredder and they suddenly just break out into beatboxing to pump themselves up.

Am going to rewatch the original 1990 movie later tonight to get this crap out of my brain, because that movie was AWESOME and an honest-to-god real TMNT movie.

I've watched the film and totally agree with all those points.

I penned my thoughts on how this could be fixed, but it will not be possible through editing I'm afraid.

https://theoreticalmedia.wordpress....difference-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2014/

I finally sat down to watch this and it's super forgettable and empty feeling. I won't go into the plot too much or really at all. It feels like it's missing 30 minutes of characters getting to know each other.

One highlight I saw right away though was Will Arnett's character making food in his apartment. He casually squeezed mustard onto a piece of bread, then even more casually sprinkled parmesan onto it and took a bite before it cut away to something else. Will Arnett snuck a season four Arrested Development joke into Ninja Turtles!

"He's VERY good."

Lucille-Bluth-400x300.jpg

I agree with some of the people on here. Like some I have a kid who's 7 and he loved this movie. I enjoyed it to a point. The turtles were spot on with their voices and how they acted. I just wish they could make a ninja turtle movie without a April O'Neil (Megan Fox is soooo bad). If they were smart they would've gave more screen time to Will Arnett and throw away the whole April O'Neil story lines. Just wish when they re-do movies or attempt to, change up the script a bit and do different things. I know this is a Michael Bay production and any original thought is not there, but come on. Take the newer Transformers episode, the whole back story with Megatron becoming Galvatron was ripped right out of Transformers: Animated. But would I watch TMNT again, yeah I would, but only when my kid wants to.

I just got back from TMNT-Out of the Shadows.

It's a bit of a step-up from the last one, but not by much. If you're a fan of the old cartoon there's plenty to love in this one

Don't expect anything from Shredder...this is one movie where he gets very little to do other than stand around and give orders, and when he finally joins up with Krang, he's swiftly disposed of and put on ice. The Technodrome is also a wasted opportunity in the film, as it barely finishes assembling before the effects of the portal are reversed and it's pulled back through. At least it's eyeball shows up.

Rocksteady and Bebop get most of the action against the Turtles, and are way more competant against them than their animated counterparts from the 80s. In fact, it feels weird how they get taken down by the human characters while the Turtles face off against Krang

The Turtles act a lot more like the Turtles, they have great banter, and have personality clashes where it's needed, leading to moments of doubt and a compelling argument that ultimately resolves itself and they become all the stronger for it as a group.

ZERO casualties in the movie too.

And if you've seen the third act of the first Avengers movie...most of the third act is this.

The best set peice is the battle in the plane that leads ultimately to a battle at a waterfall. Great stuff, you see most of it in the trailers but it works very well

A generous 2/5 for me. Not the best 80's toon tribute there could be, but a step in the right direction.

Zarius said:
I just got back from TMNT-Out of the Shadows.

It's a bit of a step-up from the last one, but not by much. If you're a fan of the old cartoon there's plenty to love in this one

Don't expect anything from Shredder...this is one movie where he gets very little to do other than stand around and give orders, and when he finally joins up with Krang, he's swiftly disposed of and put on ice. The Technodrome is also a wasted opportunity in the film, as it barely finishes assembling before the effects of the portal are reversed and it's pulled back through. At least it's eyeball shows up.

Rocksteady and Bebop get most of the action against the Turtles, and are way more competant against them than their animated counterparts from the 80s. In fact, it feels weird how they get taken down by the human characters while the Turtles face off against Krang

The Turtles act a lot more like the Turtles, they have great banter, and have personality clashes where it's needed, leading to moments of doubt and a compelling argument that ultimately resolves itself and they become all the stronger for it as a group.

ZERO casualties in the movie too.

And if you've seen the third act of the first Avengers movie...most of the third act is this.

The best set peice is the battle in the plane that leads ultimately to a battle at a waterfall. Great stuff, you see most of it in the trailers but it works very well

A generous 2/5 for me. Not the best 80's toon tribute there could be, but a step in the right direction.

Do you feel the two movies could be mixed into one descent movie?

revel911 said:
Do you feel the two movies could be mixed into one descent movie?

I think it would make a decent hybrid actually.

For the 2014 portions, I would have to completely cut out the parts with the other actor playing Shredder and save his first "big reveal" for the battle in the lair or something, but it wouldn't be a base-breaker.

I've got a few extra ideas about the movie over in my fanedit ideas thread.

Back
Top Bottom