• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DESTROYER novels

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any fans of the Masters of Sinanju out there?

I absolutely LOVE this series!

The modern heir to the old pulps of Doc Savage, the Shadow and the Spider! This series was an unique blend of violence, action, sex, satire and comedy. It could even be down right sentimental and touching at times. The relationship between Remo and Chuin is wonderful and engaging.

The series really hit its peak in the 1980 and early 90s,
then suffered through changing of publishers and finding the right author.

At the moment, there are no new adventures being published,
but hopefully that will change in the future.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did a post of mine just get deleted?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Weird I could of sworn I hit the submit button anyhoo...

Fucking Hell there's like 150 of them!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Destroyer_(fiction)#Series_listing

Yep! It's a big series. And unlike alot of fictional characters and their universes,
the series actually acknowledges it's age (no sliding timeline for the most part).
Remo had a love affair back in Destroyer 55 Master's Challenge 1984
and now has a daughter named Freya.
It is these little things that set the series apart.
In some ways it is camp, spoofing other spy/action genres,
in other ways it is social commentary, taking jabs at current politicians and celebrities,
it is also epic fantasy, with elements of magic and supernatural,
with lots of comic book villains.
It is not great literature, but they are fun, and sometime hilarious, adventures.
And next to those Mack Bolan books they Shakespeare.:)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I have about 600 hundred books to work my way through, but I will grab a couple and see how I go.

Should I just start at 1 or is there a better jumping off point?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, I would definitely not start with #1 Created, the Destroyer.

As it took 3 or 4 books before the authors figured out the style, formula, characters and rules of the universe they were creating. I would only go back and read the first books if you really enjoy the later novels and are curious about the genesis of the character.

There is a recent BEST OF published a couple years ago, it gives a good cross section of adventures.

Books 128 and 129 THE END OF THE BEGINNING and FATHER TO SON are good jumping on points as it recaps Remo's origin and his ascension as Sinanju Master.

I will try to provide my own best of list later.:)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers Bob I will those and see how I get on.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Resurrect an old thread time... lol

News from Hollywoodland!

Shane Black has signed to direct a new adaptation of THE DESTROYER!
I think Black is an excellent choice. He knows dark humour and violence, two key ingredients to a successful Destroyer adventure.
Even more exciting is James Mullaney is co-writing the screenplay. Mullaney was the last writer on the series and he really knows what makes this character tick. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08...re-reboots-shane-black-to-helm-the-destroyer/

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice. I enjoyed the few Destroyer novels that I read. This could be really good if they capture the right vibe from the novels.

Top Bottom