• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Region 2 to Region 1/Region Free Ripping Problems

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there. I've been trying to rip a Region 2 DVD to Region 1 or region free. I can get the DVD to play OK as long as I have the Superdrive in my mid-2007 Macbook set to region 2, but when I try to rip it using Mac the Ripper or MacX iPhone DVD Ripper, I get error messages.

The built-in DVD Player program just says there are errors and won't play the virtual disc.

MPEG Streamclip says that there are errors in the beginning of the file. When I click "open anyway," it seems to be able to handle file conversion at first, but then the video gets stuck or very pixellated. Sometimes there's a bit of green that appears in the upper left corner and stays there. Audio seems unaffected.

MacX DVD Ripper has similar issues, the main difference being that the green is in the form of several horizontal bars that flicker as the video plays.

I'm thinking that this is probably some sort of copy protection issue, but if it is, it's one I've never encountered before. This is on the MGM Alain Delon Zorro disc from France, distributed by Columbia/TriStar.

Any thoughts? I'm really at a loss here, especially since I can't change my drive's region code until I find a way to resolve this.

It might be an encryption issue. Do a google search for Pavtube and try their free demo. It's a commercial program but not an expensive one. See if it works for you.

Thanks for suggesting Pavtube -- I'd forgotten, but I actually have it already!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work either.

This is an example of what the Pavtube render looks like, which isn't all that different from what it looked like with any of the other methods. It should show Delon on a horse, with a bit of a credit in the red:

s25wk2.jpg

I really don't get it, especially since it will display OK in DVD Player. It's only when I try ripping that there are problems.

Hmmm, just tried it again on one chapter, and it seems to have worked! Any recommended settings for best video quality?

Could you rip it as Region 2 first, then use iConverter to change it to Region 1 and then build a new DVD???

Back
Top Bottom