• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best free legal editing software to use?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, folks! It's been a long time since I've been here. Some personal things came up and my heart just wasn't in it anymore. But I think I'm back to fan editing.

However, I have reached the end of my patience with Ulead VideoStudio 10. I'm tired of having to "trick" the system to do such simple, everyday transitions as a fade to black. I'm frustrated that I can only export online as a WMV, the cheapest and ugliest-looking video format possible.

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here. We could all go on for days about this software, I'm sure.

Someone here suggested that I try Sony Vegas instead. While I appreciate the suggestion, Sony Vegas refused to install because I'm running Windows XP instead of Windows 7.

Then I tried Adobe Premiere, since I recently took a class on that, and it has a lot of great functionality. However, when I downloaded the free trial from Adobe, it pasted the words "FREE TRIAL" all over the screen. While I can understand Adobe's reasons for wanting to do this, the word stamp makes Premiere absolutely useless to me.

So, does anyone know of a free legal software that I could download that works better than Ulead VideoStudio 10?

Thanks in advance!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome back!

This topic has been discussed before. There is no real good "free" NLE out there, and if you want something that is capable of doing fanedits its best to find a commercial product you are comfortable with.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm running Vegas Studio 9 on XP no problem. Might see if you can find a used copy if it's not for sale new anymore.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Womble. it's not free but it's about as cheap as you're gonna get for a half decent NLE.

Just don't do anything more complicated than fades or wipes within womble itself as the only let down it has is the internal MPEG2 encoder is a pile of poo but to makeup for it, it has smart rendering.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks!

Frink: Yeah, I'll have to try to find Vegas 9. Vegas 10 was the one that was giving me trouble.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
its important to note that vegas "movie studio" is a stripped down version of the full vegas. its very capable but omits many common features such as 5.1 audio [studio maxes out at 2 channel stereo] and many tools/effects.

I highly recommend it to someone looking for a cheap and [relatively] easy entry into editing with vegas - I used movie studio 9 on my first 2 edits and was very happy considering the low price point [I bought it in 2009 for around $30] and feel i got my moneys worth - but eventually had to upgrade to a full version.

just remember - if you want bells and whistles you just plain wont find em in a cheap/free editing suite. like all good things, gotta pay to play :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The version I have works with 5.1, though I only get two additional tracks beyond that to play with. To be clearer, I believe my version is called movie studio platinum and cost around $60.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
just remember - if you want bells and whistles you just plain wont find em in a cheap/free editing suite. like all good things, gotta pay to play :)

Very good point, elbarto! :) Once I'm working again, I do hope to pay for a good suite. Right now, I'm just too broke to even consider that. I'm not looking for a perfect suite for free, just a better one than what I have.

Thanks to both you and Frink for the additional comments!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Hey, folks! It's been a long time since I've been here. Some personal things came up and my heart just wasn't in it anymore. But I think I'm back to fan editing.

However, I have reached the end of my patience with Ulead VideoStudio 10. I'm tired of having to "trick" the system to do such simple, everyday transitions as a fade to black. I'm frustrated that I can only export online as a WMV, the cheapest and ugliest-looking video format possible.

Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here. We could all go on for days about this software, I'm sure.

Someone here suggested that I try Sony Vegas instead. While I appreciate the suggestion, Sony Vegas refused to install because I'm running Windows XP instead of Windows 7.

Then I tried Adobe Premiere, since I recently took a class on that, and it has a lot of great functionality. However, when I downloaded the free trial from Adobe, it pasted the words "FREE TRIAL" all over the screen. While I can understand Adobe's reasons for wanting to do this, the word stamp makes Premiere absolutely useless to me.

So, does anyone know of a free legal software that I could download that works better than Ulead VideoStudio 10?

Thanks in advance!

Sony Vegas 10 gave you issues on Xp? I had heard 10 was the last edition that would work on Xp, while starting with ver 11 is made for windows 7 (and whatever may come next)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tranzor: I could have sworn it was 10, but maybe it was 11.

Frink: Cool! Does Movie Studio do cropping? Also, does it export better-looking files than WMV? I'm torn between that one and Videopad now.

EDITED TO ADD: It looks like I have to buy Movie Studio, so I guess it's Videopad for the time being. :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, you have to pay for Studio. Again, for Studio Platinum, it's around $60. But I can pretty much guarantee it can do a lot more than any free program you can find.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Was it Studio or Studio Platinum?

jamesianozi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said: