• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

TM2YC said:
Breakthrough (2019)
I only forced myself to watch this for Oscar-nominations completeness (it's up for 'Best Original Song'). Based on the "true" story of how a mother prayed her son out of a coma. You can either approach 'Breakthrough' as one of the worst movies of 2019, or as the Best comedy-fantasy film of the year! I got a few more laughs out of this than most deliberately funny movies. Syrupy, sentimental and unquestioning, it's only interested in pandering to it's target audience.

You left out the most/only interesting thing about this movie... its director!

B-Elanna-Torres-belanna-torres-17566967-487-730.jpg

Aaaand that's a win for Parasite! Woop woop!

Poor Bong's liver is probably kaput right now.   :D

I certainly hope it’s just a very vocal minority, but the backlash that a “non-American” movie could win Best Picture that I’m seeing is just sad and pathetic.

^ Legitimately dangerous forms of hate speech should be identified and called out, but with everyday bigoted trollery, I think it's usually best to ignore it than to give it recognition, even in the form of criticism. As the saying goes: if one wrestles with a pig, both parties get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Yeah that’s essentially what I’ve done: ignore it and not engage. It’s still just sad.

Neglify said:
Picture - 1917
Director - Sam Mendes
Not gonna be many surprises.

I've never been so happy to be so wrong.

gif

holy, holy fuck. didn't expect that.
parasite deserved it.

Great for 'Parasite', it's only a shame it won best International film too. It would've been nice for something like Corpus Christi, or Pain and Glory to have got some limelight too.

Pretty cool that Hildur Guonadottir became the first woman to win the 'Best Original Score' award for 'Joker'. There were three other women who got awards for adapting existing music (when that was a bonus award) and in the late 90s when they briefly gave bonus awards for comedy and music scores. Guonadottir is the first to get the main one. She did the acclaimed 'Chernobyl' mini series too, I really must get round to watching that.

I had a suspicion that the most nominated film 'Joker' would get shafted in most categories outside Best Actor. 'The Irishman' walked away with nothing from 10 noms but the spontaneous standing ovation for Scorsese instigated by Boon joon-ho made up for it.

Gaith said:
TM2YC said:
Breakthrough (2019)
I only forced myself to watch this for Oscar-nominations completeness (it's up for 'Best Original Song'). Based on the "true" story of how a mother prayed her son out of a coma. You can either approach 'Breakthrough' as one of the worst movies of 2019, or as the Best comedy-fantasy film of the year! I got a few more laughs out of this than most deliberately funny movies. Syrupy, sentimental and unquestioning, it's only interested in pandering to it's target audience.

You left out the most/only interesting thing about this movie... its director!

B-Elanna-Torres-belanna-torres-17566967-487-730.jpg

Luckily I don't have any good feelings towards that character which could've been tainted by you telling me she directed that monstrosity :D ... but seriously, good for her. Not everybody manages to carve out a successful career after Trek.

TM2YC said:
She did the acclaimed 'Chernobyl' mini series too, I really must get round to watching that.

Yes. Yes, you must. It's superb and her score is a highlight.

i liked that bong was so gracious in his shout-outs to scorcese, tarantino, and others.

tm2yc, i enjoyed your review of breakthrough. looks like one to skip! :D

The Golden Globes have released their nominations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/78th_Golden_Globe_Awards

Some will inevitably also be nominated for Oscars, whenever that happens this year (currently scheduled to be announced 15th March, for an April 25th ceremony).  So to get a head start I've done a Letterboxd list of all 37 films nominated:

https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/golden-globe-2021-nominations/

I'll update it with Oscar nominations and BAFTAs (nominations announced 9th March, for an 11th April ceremony).  I've seen 11 so far, with a couple of months to go.

As is to be expected this year, there are lot of nominations for streaming servies Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV+, Disney+, HBOmax and Hulu.  The amount of downtime industry people have had this year could potentially mean they will have actually seen many more of these films in the convenience of their homes than usual.  This could lead to a more diverse range of films picking up prizes?  The only blockbuster on the GG noms list is Tenet, partly because it was one of only two films (the other is Wonder Woman 1984) to try and bust any blocks :D .

TM2YC said:
I watched '45 years' for which Charlotte Rampling is up for Best Actress.

I can't really see why she is nominated (When for example, Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt are not?). It's understated to the point of being impenetrable. You're staring in near-silence at her face for multiple minute-long takes where either she's being artfully subtle, or not actually conveying any emotion at all... take your pic :-D.

Also the film esentially has no plot...

In the first 5 minutes it's setup that Rampling is doubting whether her husband truly loves her. 90 minutes later the final shot is her face doubting whether her husband truly loves her. Some stuff happens inbetween these two moments.

It's not a bad movie, it's just a very, very, VERY slow one. It's a concise 1.5 hours but felt more like 3. If you've got the patience for it, you may well find it rewarding, as it deals with it's subjects and their emotions in a realistic and "raw" fashion.

My opinion is this was due to the way the Oscar zeitgeist often works. That was a "career nomination" and the sense that it was "her time". Here you have an older woman who not only beat the odds to continue a robust film career, but also has continued making films about sex and love centered around her, despite her age. That really resonates with female Academy votes, a cinderella story. She also didn't get the award for Under the Sand, or The Swimming Pool, or even The Eye of the Storm. I think there was a sense of "this is the best work she's ever going to do, now is our last chance to give it to her."

TM2YC said:
Oscar nominations have dropped so here is my annual crib-sheet. This is a list of all the films nominated, just once, starting with 'Best film' and then listing only the films/categories with different films in. Films I've seen so far highlighted (Links to the short films included where available):

Fantastic of you to put up all those links to the films. Unfortunately most of them are down now... wish I would have caught on to this thread back then, it would've made seeing them much easier!

asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I have a feeling Black Panther won't win, it's a miracle that a superhero movie got nominated, it had even less a chance of winning. Too mainstream.

I don't pay much attention to the Oscars but couldn't you have said this about Return of the King?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers: Endgame win next year for the same reason. Not really because it's going to be the best movie, but because it's the end of a successfully assembled 22 movie arc.

You would've hoped, right? Nothing like it in film history. But it doesn't have the seem veneer as a film like Boyhood. It's not a serious feelm.

mnkykungfu said:
asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I have a feeling Black Panther won't win, it's a miracle that a superhero movie got nominated, it had even less a chance of winning. Too mainstream.

I don't pay much attention to the Oscars but couldn't you have said this about Return of the King?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Avengers: Endgame win next year for the same reason. Not really because it's going to be the best movie, but because it's the end of a successfully assembled 22 movie arc.

You would've hoped, right? Nothing like it in film history. But it doesn't have the seem veneer as a film like Boyhood. It's not a serious feelm.

Moe_Syzlak said:
mnkykungfu said:
asterixsmeagol said:
TVs Frink said:
jrWHAG42 said:

33cbbd74664ec81afa7b23d3e77f5bac.gif

mnkykungfu said:
TM2YC said:
Oscar nominations have dropped so here is my annual crib-sheet. This is a list of all the films nominated, just once, starting with 'Best film' and then listing only the films/categories with different films in. Films I've seen so far highlighted (Links to the short films included where available):

Fantastic of you to put up all those links to the films. Unfortunately most of them are down now... wish I would have caught on to this thread back then, it would've made seeing them much easier!

The youtube channel 'Short of the Week' features many of the films that eventually get nominated, for free and officially but only for a limited time and probably not after the noms are announced.  They still have some of the past years short nominations to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/c/shortoftheweek/videos

Back
Top Bottom