• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Not Enough Room On D Drive

Lace & Whiskey Fan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished a project on Womble and attempted to export it using their exporting tool. Once I begin the process it says that they're isn't enough room on my D drive, but it's completly empty. I have 53.6 GB free space! Anyone know what the problem may be?

maybe a fat32 problem.

What Boon said. Some drives are formated to a system called fat32, which can only handle files as big as 4GB. The solution is to either reformat it (good luck there) or export it to C drive or something.

it allways says that for me just go ahead and export

yep, it didn't work. So I guess I need to do something about this FAT32 thing. Anybody have any suggestions?

I've been looking into converting FAT32 to NTFS, which is apparently better. Would this let me export big movies from Womble? Do any fan-editors have a NTFS system, and does it work? I'm asking this because apparently you can only convert once, there is no going back. Like Yoda would say, "There is no try" :)

Umm...just about everyone runs on NTFS. It's not that you can't export big movies...it's file size limitations. NTFS is definitely better, for your pruposes at least. Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Yes i reformated my Ext-HDD works fine for me

Another vote for NTFS. It's a lot more advanced.

Windows will preserve the files when it converts. But it's still wise to back up your files, just as a precaution.

I wouldn't encrypt the NTFS, in case you ever lose Windows and have to use a boot disc to get to your files.

By the way, about the only reason to use Fat 32 on an external, is if you have an old 98/ME that you might hook the external to sometimes.

Heh...I was told not to format my external to NTFS, and I use Windows XP :p

Put another point on the board for NTFS. Google how to convert, there's some tools out there that can do it without crapping your HDD (files, etc) - but then again, I believe you said D was empty, so all is good. I know PowerQuest Partition Magic can convert between the two seemlessly... but that's not freeware.

NTFS all the way. Of course. There is NO advantage at all for fat32. It's old.

Jaiman Tuckuh said:
Windows will preserve the files when it converts.
it dosent it wipes it clean

Format wipes it clean. But the convert command, at least, doesn't.

I figured he was refering to the M$ convert command, but I shouldn't assume, and should be more specific, in case someone else reads this and gets the wrong idea. My bad.

Setup wont wipe the files, either.

There is a small chance of file corruption.

Looks like the Disc Management method only formats (and wipes the file). That's because it's a little easier to use. :)

Heh, I have a couple of old 98 machines that I use regularly (with the requisite daily reboots). So I thought it'd be useful to install a 3rd party utility that'd read NTFS. Thankfully, before I spent my money I discovered that 98/ME can't comprehend files larger than 4 Gigs, even when it can read NTFS.

My H Drive doesn't have anything in it, exactly 53.6 GB. What guide should I follow on the Internet. I've been looking at the convert command so far. If there's nothing on the D Drive, will it really matter? I have a s#%t load of files in my C Drive, and it also FAT32, is it possible to convert just the D Drive?

right click on HDD and it will say format about half way down

hold on people on fat32 does have it's up and downs. Downside is it has limits. It can contain no file larger that 4gb. But fat32 is good because it can be compatible on mac and pc. You most likely do want to go with a format such as ntfs because it can contain larger file.

it gives you the option was size you want... i formated my ex-ternal HDD and ive transfered a file over 18 gigs

Back
Top Bottom