• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

"Life of Crime" Elmore Leonard Adaptation

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.slashfilm.com/john-hawkes-star-jackie-brown-prequel-switch/

This is awesome news. I love the hell out of that book (and pretty much any Elmore Leonard book).

I cannot wait to see Mos Def as Ordell Robbie!

Not to mention there hasn't been a decent Leonard film adaptation since "Out of Sight" (unless you count the "3:10 to Yuma" remake). So I sincerely hope they don't drop the ball on this one. The writer/director doesn't have much to his credit, but the article said that he wrote the adaptation on spec without obtaining the rights and Elmore Leonard loved it and will help produce it.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds cool! I love Leonard as well (though I haven't read this particular book).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a trailer for the flick. They've changed the title from "The Switch" to "Life of Crime." I guess people could confuse it with the shitty Jason Bateman/Jennifer Aniston rom-com.

Trailer's decent, but nothing amazing. The cast looks pretty good, especially Mos Def, oh excuse me, I mean Yasiin Bey. Hopefully it's not too goofy and has a good Elmore Leonard balance of darkness and light.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I finally saw this and it was just ok. A great cast, some really wonderful dialogue, but it's missing that all-too-important hip funk that good Elmore Leonard adaptations need. Everything landed flat and it didn't help that they kept the slow-burn pacing of the book. With a better soundtrack and more creative screenwriting, this could have been a wonderful prequel to "Jackie Brown".

Although it did give me a fanedit idea... we'll see if I ever try it.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just found this thread but had a moment of deja vu... I was like "I know this story!" but the trailer looked really different.  Then realized this is pretty much the same movie as Ruthless People back in the '80s.

Top Bottom