• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Article: George Lucas Calls Out Fan-Editors In New York Times Article

doubleofive

Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html

In an interview with the New York Times, George Lucas is quoted as saying the following:

On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I’m saying: "Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it."

Is Lucas really saying he's fine with fan edits? Has our love of editing Star Wars given Lucas the perfect excuse to not release the original versions?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think he's just saying that because they are his films he's entitled to make whatever changes he wants.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whether intended or not, he *is* providing legitimacy to fanedits of Star Wars.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

It's my story! Just like my house is my house

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Sounds like he saying: "Make your fan edits, but don't complain when I make mine."

as long as he doesn't sell his fanedits as a movie made in 1977 I think we faneditors won't have a problem :D
why not invite lucas to create an account :p

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, according to him, next time someone makes a fanedit of Star Wars:
just don't credit George Lucas and he will be happy...

Thats even bigger news than just saying it's "fine".
Thank you! ;)

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it."

Where have I heard this sort of thing before? Oh that's right, from my little brother. When we were 3

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
So, according to him, next time someone makes a fanedit of Star Wars:
just don't credit George Lucas and he will be happy...

Yes, from now on all SW edits should be credited to "Alan Smithee". I'm completely serious here.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some inexplicable (hey i spelled a word right, but have no idea what it means) reason, this whole deal reminds me of having an argument with my dad, stupid, pointless, a complete and utter waste of time. Maybe i miss the point of the thread.

Neglify said:
Yes, from now on all SW edits should be credited to "Alan Smithee". I'm completely serious here.

Not bad.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
For some inexplicable (hey i spelled a word right, but have no idea what it means)...

riker.gif

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
why not invite lucas to create an account :p
He would be banned from here. He's making money selling fanedits.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
He would be banned from here. He's making money selling fanedits.

Gunray_Sidious.jpg

My lord... is that ... legal?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We don't care about your edits, Lucas, just give us the originals.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More from the article:

"When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster."

"Lucas seized control of his movies from the studios only to discover that the fanboys could still give him script notes. 'Why would I make any more,' Lucas says of the 'Star Wars' movies, 'when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?'"

Personally, I think he has made some good points. After all is said, these movies are his creations, which gives him the right to do whatever-the-hell he wants with them. In the end, he is the one that made these blockbusters. He is incredibly successful and most importantly, he has a certain vision and is willing to fight to keep that vision intact. I don't blame George Lucas for ruining anyone's childhood (for adulthood) with his movies. He does, however tend to be vilified by certain fans. He doesn't seem to really show much in the way of resentment toward the fan editors and may just be looking for the same respect.

If you haven't done so, read the entire article. It is informative and entertaining. It talks about the infamous Fridge scene from Indy 4 along with some other interesting tidbits about his choices. Oh, and if anyone is worried about Lucas ruining any of their (his) favorite movie franchises in the future, the article appears to be an announcement of his retirement from mainstream movie-making.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
After all is said, these movies are his creations, which gives him the right to do whatever-the-hell he wants with them.
Fail.

He has no right to supress the originals. He can do whatever he wants with the SE, but the originals belong to the public.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Fail.

He has no right to supress the originals. He can do whatever he wants with the SE, but the originals belong to the public.

This. Nothing more.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
but the originals belong to the public.

Hah, good luck with that argument in court. The judge might get as good a laugh out of this statement as I did:D

I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Every successful person in the limelight has their detractors. Lucas is no exception, but I would say he handles it fairly well and really he has no one to apologize to. In the end, he has all of those million$$ to comfort him when the pesky fanboy torture gets to be too much.:kiss:

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Hah, good luck with that argument in court.
I don't recall saying he was doing anything illegal. But he extended a giant middle finger to the fans by releasing the substandard GOUT and again by not including the originals on the blu rays.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Oh, and if anyone is worried about Lucas ruining any of their (his) favorite movie franchises in the future, the article appears to be an announcement of his retirement from mainstream movie-making.
although i think i read in some other website about the same story that he still has plans for Indiana Jones 5

Top Bottom