If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Article: George Lucas Calls Out Fan-Editors In New York Times Article
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazi...tails.html

In an interview with the New York Times, George Lucas is quoted as saying the following:

Quote:On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I’m saying: "Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it."

Is Lucas really saying he's fine with fan edits? Has our love of editing Star Wars given Lucas the perfect excuse to not release the original versions?
I think he's just saying that because they are his films he's entitled to make whatever changes he wants.
Whether intended or not, he *is* providing legitimacy to fanedits of Star Wars.

It's my story! Just like my house is my house
Things I'd kill for:
1. Saw footage without blur filters
2. Shared Dark Tower movie universe

doubleofive Wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazi...tails.html

In an interview with the New York Times, George Lucas is quoted as saying the following:

Is Lucas really saying he's fine with fan edits? Has our love of editing Star Wars given Lucas the perfect excuse to not release the original versions?

Sounds like he saying: "Make your fan edits, but don't complain when I make mine."
DominicCobb Wrote:Sounds like he saying: "Make your fan edits, but don't complain when I make mine."

as long as he doesn't sell his fanedits as a movie made in 1977 I think we faneditors won't have a problem Big Grin
why not invite lucas to create an account Tongue
Things I'd kill for:
1. Saw footage without blur filters
2. Shared Dark Tower movie universe

So, according to him, next time someone makes a fanedit of Star Wars:
just don't credit George Lucas and he will be happy...

Thats even bigger news than just saying it's "fine".
Thank you! Wink
"Always in motion is the future"
My instagramMy BLog - All my fanedits at IFDB - Q&A with TMBTM (from 2012) 
Quote:"Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it."

Where have I heard this sort of thing before? Oh that's right, from my little brother. When we were 3
Completed: 
Raiders of the Lost Skull | Where the Wild Things Are: The Wild Rumpus Edition
Pulp Empire | The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part I | Part II | Part III

Next Up:
Hannibal: The Ripper's Lament
TMBTM Wrote:So, according to him, next time someone makes a fanedit of Star Wars:
just don't credit George Lucas and he will be happy...

Yes, from now on all SW edits should be credited to "Alan Smithee". I'm completely serious here.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
For some inexplicable (hey i spelled a word right, but have no idea what it means) reason, this whole deal reminds me of having an argument with my dad, stupid, pointless, a complete and utter waste of time. Maybe i miss the point of the thread.

Neglify Wrote:Yes, from now on all SW edits should be credited to "Alan Smithee". I'm completely serious here.

Not bad.
I may be an A-hole, but I'm not 100% a dick - Han Solo
Currently working on: Mad Max: Fury Road (silent edit)