• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mac blu-ray fan edit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any guides out there on this site or elsewhere on how to do a fan edit on the mac with a blu-ray as the original source?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome! Use Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper to rip the disc to a format your editing software can use. Edit, release.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should have been more specific - looking for freeware for the rip/convert to get it into either FCP or Premiere (which I already have). For example, on a mac, a DVD fan edit could be done using Mac The Ripper and MPEG Streamclip. Anything similar for blu-ray?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I don't think there is any free BR ripper out there, especially if you're looking to circumvent the DRM. Besides, Handbrake only handles MKV or h.264 and MakeMKV does MKV files, neither of which are an editable format. So if you take hours ripping you will then have to convert those rips to another format. Pavtube is $50 or so and can circumvent DRM and convert to an editable format (such as PreRes) on the fly.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use FCP7 and while I haven't output anything yet, I would recommend Pavtube. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and love it, and it includes presets for anything you want, from a smart phone rip to FCP, PP etc.. as well as the codec you wish to use, and you can also specify a stereo or surround audio rip, so you can get all channels of audio if you want. When you're done you just import the file into the editing program and you're off to the races. I've ripped 4 different films so far and all have worked like a charm. Some of the best $50 I've spent on this hobby.

The problem however isn't in ripping the BD, your challenges will come when you want to output it. You can use Toast 10 to create your BD, but the menu options will be beyond limited. Likewise I've also read on a way of creating an AVCHD 720p DVD. I'll be testing out both work-flows in the coming months and will report back on the workflow I settle on.

EDT Oh, and be prepared for a roughly 6-7 hour rip time, plus, if you want to save a little wear and tear on your BD drive, 3-4 hours to copy the BD to your hard drive before ripping. I typically have set my comp to do both tasks when I'm going to be away, so I might start copying the files to my HD before I go to bed, and then set the rip to go just before I leave for work.

Darthwheels1942

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you have access to the rest of the FCP studio, Compressor works magic. H.264 is what I have the best luck with editing on FCP.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How are you editing in FCP using h.264? That's a delivery codec, not an editing one, and doesn't play nice with FCP. Do you mean ProRes?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you talking FCP X?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Darthwheels1942 said:
Gross! No! FCP 7.

I was never able to successfully edit in h.264. Always had to convert to ProRes or some other codec.

Darthwheels1942

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had problems with HD pro res before, actually, but never with h.264. Weird.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just came across this thread (should have mined a bit more heavily before posting my question about what ripping software to use...sorry!)

Sounds like the consensus from Q2 and L8 is to use PavTube for ripping. I think it is worth checking out MakeMKV too since it is free (currently at least), and there are also free tools to extract the components from the mkv file losslessly and then use MPEGStreamclip to transcode to prores (see my post on a recent thread).

I've had problems with HD pro res before, actually, but never with h.264. Weird.
I'm almost positive FCP7 is transcoding to prores for you when you feed it h.264. FCP7 just does not work with h.264 as an editing codec.

You just want to make sure you aren't needlessly encoding an extra time before importing to FCP7, that's why I am mentioning this.

Also, there's no such thing as "HD" prores -- just prores (444, 422, 422LT, and 422 proxy).

Finally, I wouldn't diss FCPX -- it's actually pretty decent at this point. The first release had lots of issues, but right now I think it's really a nice piece of software. There have been 8 updates since the original release, and they have addressed the vast majority of issues people were most vocal about. I find it much more pleasurable to work with 95% of the time than FCP7. Especially when working with audio, and keeping things in sync. I'm not a professional, but for fan editing, it works great (as long as you split up your source material into smaller chunks first)

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't yet ripped a bluray cause I don't have a bluray-reader. But using my macmini with its built-in-dvd-burner I can confirm the workflow (for dvd-ripping) suggested by Q2 and L8wrtr:

Pavtube (it can do both DVD- and bluray-ripping) for ripping to Prores-format within a .mov-container. Importing that into Final Cut pro X (by the way it's imho really great with version 10.0.8), doing the editing. Then exporting to a Prores within a .mov-container and using handbrake to transcode it to .h264 within a .mkv-container (or .mp4-container if you prefer that one).

But you need to increase the volume-gain of the sound when using handbrake by about 2 notches as the app seems to lower the volume when transcoding.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
But you need to increase the volume-gain of the sound when using handbrake by about 2 notches as the app seems to lower the volume when transcoding.
I use handbrake extensively and have never had to do this. I'd advise against raising the volume during an encode as your volume leveling should be done in the editing app.

Can you explain a bit more about this lowering of volume? I'm curious to see if I'm missing something.

Severian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just chiming in that for my HD-from-bluray edit, I used MakeMKV to rip the BD, and then PavTube to convert ripped footage to ProRes422 for editing in Final Cut Pro X, then exported from FCPX with Compressor for the final MP4s (yes, I know Compressor sucks in various ways, but it ended up being OK once I found a setting template I liked - I'll upload those settings later, interested to see if anyone has comments on them).

Why not use PavTube for the ripping, too? Well, I think I first tried to go completely-free-tool route for converting, had issues converting to ProPres, bought PavTube, and used it on the already MakeMKV-ripped files. Next time I may try PavTube for both ripping and ProRes conversion.

I second seciors and NewSpock on FCPX. From all I've read it was pretty much a fiasco when it first came out, and might still have some show-stopping missing-features for people using it for a professional pipeline, but by the time I was using it many issues had been patched, and it was *incredibly* more efficient and flexible (for what I was doing at least) than FCP7 which I had used previously.

Top Bottom