• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The way of the world is also great open source projects that bundles nothing. Support them, instead of those who scam and bundle crap. pyLoad's source is on Github and FRD's source is in their own subversion repository, if you want to browse the code. They have nothing to hide, and they also accept donations.

The jD devs seem like nice people, and there's talk of a premium malware-free paid version, but they've sold their souls to the devil. (Exaggeration, yes, but shit like this is why many people are afraid to use the web because they're afraid they'll install crap or click the wrong link. Just say no.)

About jD and SweetIM:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?16087-Is-SweetIM-spyware

About MiPony
http://www.mipony.net/blog/2013/07/31/mipony-2-1-0/ (check comments)
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=123291

Are any of you okay with this?

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the world ain't what it used to be.
That sounds like my pa, and his pa before him, and his pa before him.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not what it used to be - it's better. Now we actually get to choose whether to support scammers or idealists.

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a little query. I downloaded L8wrtr's Ep3 with no problems. It unpacked as a VTS folder, burnt to disc successfully and played fine on my DVD player.

I then downloaded Ep1 which unpacked as an ISO. After burning it to disc it wouldn't play on my DVD player, but would play on my computer. I tried burning the disc back to my computer to create a DVD VTS folders but the operation couldn't be completed successfully.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=5445]Ollie W[/MENTION] what program did you use to burn the iso with? It's easiest to use ImgBurn.

Ollie W

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Ollie W what program did you use to burn the iso with? It's easiest to use ImgBurn.
I used CloneDVD. I've heard that ImgBurn is good but I've never had a problem with Clone.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ollie W said:
I used CloneDVD. I've heard that ImgBurn is good but I've never had a problem with Clone.
Well I won't debate that but I always use ImgBurn. It's really easy and I've never had a DVD that didn't play :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might be a bad disc. Try another?

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ollie W said:
Just a little query. I downloaded L8wrtr's Ep3 with no problems. It unpacked as a VTS folder, burnt to disc successfully and played fine on my DVD player.

I then downloaded Ep1 which unpacked as an ISO. After burning it to disc it wouldn't play on my DVD player, but would play on my computer. I tried burning the disc back to my computer to create a DVD VTS folders but the operation couldn't be completed successfully.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Put the disk in your computer. Open windows explorer (or what ever file explorer you use).
Navigate to your DVD and see what is on it.
1- If you find a single file with a name like xxx.iso then you have burnt the iso as a file not as an image, in which case if you have the original ISO use ImgBurn and choose burn image to disk. If you don't have the original ISO then just drag and copy the ISO file from the disk back to your computer.
2- If you find a dvd structure with VIDEO_TS folder and lots of files inside, then your disk is probably damaged in some way and and you will need to burn another disk

Cheers

Sphinctone1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
O.K., D/L'ed "Killer Bride Extended Version" and it went fine,until it finished. Now I have z01,z02,z03 etc. and the files wont unpack. Winrar and/or Winzip pro doesn't recognize them. Jdownloader wont unpack them with either of the known passwords. Not sure what to try next,any assistance would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sphinctone1 said:
O.K., D/L'ed "Killer Bride Extended Version" and it went fine,until it finished. Now I have z01,z02,z03 etc. and the files wont unpack. Winrar and/or Winzip pro doesn't recognize them. Jdownloader wont unpack them with either of the known passwords. Not sure what to try next,any assistance would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Use 7-zip.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't remember what opens z-files.  Maybe try 7-zip?

EDIT: Lol, I probably should have read the next page...

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, I believe I'm having an issue which could be technical...
Has anyone downloaded JJPotter's Harry Potter EE edits before?  I got them off of fanedit.info and the first one seemed fine after unpacking the DLC with JDownloader.  HP4 and HP5 however, I'm running into problems....haven't even tried the rest of them yet as I don't want to repeat any errors.

VLC is taking about 5 minutes to read these files before playing, and even then it has to scan all over again if you attempt to seek.  (I don't get a "repairing" message, just green bar scanning at the usual play bar at the bottom.)  These are the 10GB+ files, so I tried putting them into Handbrake to compress them, but Handbrake can't read them.  (They're M4V files, btw.)  The HP3 file didn't have this problem, seems to play fine, reads fine, etc.

I've tried deleting the file and unzipping it all over again with WinRar.  Same issue.  I thought maybe there was a downloading issue since I exceeded my bandwidth with JDownloader and it's just downloading 1 packet at a time... so maybe I should delete and re-download?  I got HP3 in one fell swoop...

Anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone else used the JJPotter edits?  Should I try from an alternative source?  Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thatstinkyguy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got the RAR files of L8wrtr's Episode II: Republic Divided edit (https://ifdb.fanedit.org/trd/) downloaded, but they're password protected, and I do not know what it is. I've tried "L8wrtr/l8wrtr", "fanedit", the file name, the tagline of the edit, "You cannot escape your destiny", and just pressing enter, but nothing I've tried worked. I've tried Googling to see if I could find the password listed in a forum of something, but to no avail.

Does anyone have the password for the RARs of this edit from downloading it through the .info DLC file? If so, and if it cannot be answered through a reply on this post, may I have it PMed to me.

Thanks in advance.

- Thatstinkyguy

Thatstinkyguy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got the RAR files of L8wrtr's Episode II: Republic Divided edit (https://ifdb.fanedit.org/trd/) downloaded, but they're password protected, and I do not know what it is. I've tried "L8wrtr/l8wrtr", "fanedit", the file name, the tagline of the edit, "You cannot escape your destiny", and just pressing enter, but nothing I've tried worked. I've tried Googling to see if I could find the password listed in a forum of something, but to no avail.

Does anyone have the password for the RARs of this edit from downloading it through the .info DLC file? If so, and if it cannot be answered through a reply on this post, may I have it PMed to me.

Thanks in advance. DigModiFicaTion

(Note: User, DigModiFicaTion, suggested "fanedit.org". This, and variations I tried, did not work as well.

- Thatstinkyguy

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thatstinkyguy said:
Does anyone have the password for the RARs of this edit from downloading it through the .info DLC file?

Maybe "fanedit.info" or "fanedit.com" or with capitalized letters? Or "password"? Oh, and let us not forget the gospel of Hackers (1995):

Top Bottom