• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Downloading, Unpacking, and Watching Fanedits Assistance Thread

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Feel free to post your questions here.  However, please read the FAQ first.

crichton101

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to redownload the doc Star Wars Begins, Building Empire, and Returning to Jedi. I've downloading the .dlc files, and I try to load them into jdownloader, and it won't load them. It doesn't give me any errors. It takes forever with loading the file, I see the containerplugin: dlc bar, Decrypt link bar, and decrypt-multiload bar all slowly work their way up. And when they're done, nothing. It's like it takes its sweet time loading up the file but then doesn't load the file. I tried a different dlc file that loaded up just fine, I even tried redownloading the files from info, but I get the same effect. Anyone have any ideas what I can do or perhaps a different program to use? Any help would be appreciated.

crichton101

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This isn't my first time downloading from info with jdownloader, but I decided to follow your advice, and followed each step, and I'm still at the same barrier. The .dlc files for the star wars documentarys will not load into jdownloader.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First off, I merged your thread with one of the stickied threads at the top.

Second, I just tried to DLC for the NTSC version of Building Empire and yeah, it's painfully slow. I'm guessing because MegaUpload was included in the multi-upload option all those dead links are slowing it down.

EDIT: Decryption finished. Same as what you said, nothing shows up. Missing-in-Action.

For now, you could just watch them on Vimeo:

Star Wars Begins
Building Empire
Returning to Jedi

You can also copy the links for those videos and load them into JDownloader and extract an MP4.

crichton101 said:
I keep getting a page not find page the link about downloading.

I just fixed the link.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
crichton101 said:
This isn't my first time downloading from info with jdownloader, but I decided to follow your advice, and followed each step, and I'm still at the same barrier. The .dlc files for the star wars documentarys will not load into jdownloader.

Watch them on Vimeo for now. Those edits are MIA until someone re-uploads them.

Zarvoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, It may be just that I missed it but, how do you download the Fan Edits off this site? Or is this site judt a catalouge tellign you about variosu fan Edits you load elsewhere?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

A link to the FAQ can be found in the first post in this thread.

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm new here so please be gentle on me haha! I read the FAQ completely several times and i still for the life of me cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong. I downloaded the movie with jdownloader which i had issues extracting from afterwards so i took the FAQ's advice and used IArcher. I extracted the first RAR file like the faq told me to do. Right now i have the file as a single IOS file. When i open the file it brings me to a folder that is named Video_TS. Inside are tons of VOB (some of which can be played in VLC but none of which are the actual main feature) , IFO and BUP files. I tried burning the Video_TS folder itself to a DVD but that doesn't seem to work. I'm almost positive i'm doing something wrong and am probably making a fool out of myself right now :) but can anyone please tell me what i have to do? it's driving me insane! Thanks in advance

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It sounds like you have it mostly correct just up until burning. FYI, an *.ISO file is a disc image. You do not need to extract the files from that if you plan on burning to DVD. Just burn the ISO file with IMGburn. Open IMGburn, and select "Write image file to disc". Choose the ISO, and burn your DVD. It should play fine on your DVD player.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
It sounds like you have it mostly correct just up until burning. FYI, an *.ISO file is a disc image. You do not need to extract the files from that if you plan on burning to DVD. Just burn the ISO file with IMGburn. Open IMGburn, and select "Write image file to disc". Choose the ISO, and burn your DVD. It should play fine on your DVD player.

Is there harm in extracting the ISO before burning the extracted files, other than saving time/disk space?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Is there harm in extracting the ISO before burning the extracted files, other than saving time/disk space?

If dual-layer, yes. The author probably set the layer break point at a specific location, which would be stored in the file associated with the ISO (can't think of the extension right now). For a single layer disc, no harm, just redundant. If you plan on burning it, I see no point. If you're curious what the dvd looks like before burning, you can still play the ISO file in VLC player.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, basically what i figured, good to know about the layer break though! :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The author probably set the layer break point at a specific location, which would be stored in the file associated with the ISO (can't think of the extension right now).

I believe the extension is *.mds. Bottom line, if you extract an edit, and it comes with 2 files, an ISO, and an MDS (or similar file that is only a few kb in size), it is likely that you need to actually open the second smaller file in IMGburn to identify the break point. If you don't, usually IMGburn will yell at you with one of it's cheeky messages. :)

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am using a mac so i'm afraid i can't use IMGburn. What do you suggest i use instead?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mac user here. my understanding is that you can simply drag the ISO image onto a blank disc icon (after inserting the blank disc, uv kors), then hit burn.

why don't i have empirical knowledge of this? i never burn ISO images to disc. if i like a fanedit, i'll create a handbraked mp4 version of the movie and any worthwhile extras from the ISO image on my computer's hard drive. then the file(s) get(s) transferred to an external hard drive i attach to my television's USB port.

if i like the cover art and other files, i'll put those into the same folder as the movie and extras. i'll check out the DVD menus and other features via the mac DVD player, which doesn't require a physical disc—it can read just fine off the ISO. once i erase the ISO, i'll never see the DVD menus again, but don't cry for me, argentina.

this saves hard drive space. storage: about 1 to 1.3 GB for the movie (at my preferred encoding settings) vs 4+ GB for the disc ISO. it's also my preference not to store and retrieve discs every time i want to watch a movie; much of my physical movie collection has been handbraked. i just pick up the tv remote, navigate a few menus, and the movie's on.

others roll (or spin) differently, and that's cool, too.

zeppelin101

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just tried that. It seemed to be working but at the very end it spat out the dvd and says it cannot be verified. Tried it a few times with different blank DVD's but to no avail :-(

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"cannot be verified"? That sounds like it just isn't doing the verification step at all, as opposed to doing the verification step and finding an error. Have you tried playing one of the discs you burned? I'd wager it plays fine.

Top Bottom