• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

VirtualDub Configuration

felipemeyer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not exactly sure if i'm posting it in the right place, but i quickly searched the forums and didn't find a specific thread that solved my problem.

I'm frameserving my Escape from New York edit from Adobe Premiere to VirtualDub. I followed instructions found here in an attempt to significantly speed up the process, but i already spent about twelve hours frameserving it and to this moment i have 10 minutes of the movie converted (the estimated total time is more than FOUR days to completion). The video rendering started out with a 20 fps rate, but now it drastically dropped to about 0.30, even when i close any non-important process of the pc.

Anyone can help me figure out what exactly i'm doing wrong?

a couple of things might help. First, why are you frameserving TO virtualdub? I can't see why you would ever need to frameserve to vdub, but I could be missing something

second, please post your PC specs, that will help determine if the time should be much faster or not.

I don't know if i phrased it correctly, but what i'm doing is:

Export media from Adobe Premiere.
Select "DebugMode Frameserver" as Format.
Select "YUY2" as format on Debugmode with the option "Write audio as PCM samples in AVI signpost" enabled.
Open video file on VirtualDub.
Save as avi, using xvid mpeg codec.

Specs:
Pentium Dual-Core T4400 2.20GHz
4 Gb RAM
32 bits
NVIDIA GeForce 8200 M G

Does that help?

yes, that helps. However, I really don't think you need virtualdub in this workflow. Premiere should have the ability to encode to xvid directly. Frameserving almost always add significant amounts of time, and is generally only needed when doing one of two things:

1) frameserving from virtualdub to your editing software because the software will not accept the codec of the source file. And this is only done if you don't have the HDD space and computing power to convert source file to lossless AVI before editing.
2) frameserving from your editing software straight to a high quality encoder - mostly just necessary for encoding to DVD compliant mpg, because the built-in encoding engines are not as good as something like CCE.

#2 is close to what you are doing, but you are going to xvid, and there will be no difference between encoding to xvid from Premiere than from virtualdub, because you are bound by the limitations of the codec in both instances. The codec interface should work nicely with Premiere anyway. I know it does from Vegas.

My suggestion is to eliminate virtualdub from your workflow, and encode straight to xvid from Premiere.

Back
Top Bottom