• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Video File Nearly Doubles in Size When Imported/Recompression in Architect Studio

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sure I'm doing something really dumb, but...

I've got a 4.4 GB .mpg that I'm bringing into Architect Studio 4.5. When I bring it in, it shows up as taking 7.7 GB of space.

:?

Thats usually is a sign that architect intends on re encoding the video. Your can confirm that by clicking make DVD then prepare. Then it will give you the list of warnings, if it's being re encoded it will tell you there.

There are many things that could cause it to re encode. Fps can be one of them.

Hope this helps

Juice

Thanks for that, I'm seeing all sorts of errors. Looks like I've got a lot more work to do. :-o

It's too late to get you into the credits on this release, but I'll add you to the credits on the DVD-9.

Architect is recompressing the video for this reason:

"24p encoding is not supported in this product"

I don't know what this means or how to fix it....:(

24p is one of vegas's mpg2 profiles. Try the one named DVD architect NTSC widescreen.

It's named the same as what your encoding with but with out the 24p

Are you talking about when I render out of Vegas? Rendering out of Vegas using DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen does not give me very good quality.

I used lagarith avi to render out, encoded an .m2v with HCenc, then muxed with my .ac3 into the .mpg file.

Yea in vegas, I also had quality issues untill I changed the encoder settings but if I remeber right you said in an earlier post that your version didn't have that option. So the issue now is in the programs you use to make your mpg2. And I'm not familiar with the programs you mentioned.

Or let architect do it's thing and see what it looks like.

Sorry I couldn't help more

add a pulldown (with DGpulldown) if vegas is too dumb to do it on it's own.

I'll give that a try. I went ahead and compiled the dvd like juice suggested, but my tester said the video quality was only so-so.

So...what setting should I use? Since I'm basically now reversing Boon's guide to editing with Vegas, should I use the same 23.976 to 23.976 custom setting?

try 23.976 to 29.97. It seems like Architect Studio really wants a 29.97 file at the start (it should add the pulldown itself, as 29.97 is required for DVD standards, but instead of adding a pulldown, it wants to re-encode...)

I already tried the 23.976 to 23.976 :p

It brought the file in the correct size this time, but it still wants to recompress. I shall try 29.97 now...

No dice. Architect still wants to recompress.

This may be a dumb question, but you have the manual for DVD Architect, right? I ask this because when I was making my DVD I kept getting a couple error messages when authoring the final DVD and couldn't figure out how to fix it, then I checked the manual and it said those error messages "produce a valid DVD and require no action."

I'll have to dig out my Vegas box. However, the resulting DVD does not have as good a video quality as it should.

As juice pointed out, Architect is recompressing, which it shouldn't need to do.

Was just thinking about this today, In archtect did you click properties or you can do from optimize disc, There you can change the re encode settings, In Archtect when i have it rerender i think i have it do it at 8.5 it caps at 9.5 i think. I have had good results from this process.

Just a random thought i had

BTW screen shots

You seem to be talking about the bitrate setting, which is based on the size of your DVD (single or dual layer). Since this is a single layer, it's set much lower for me. But it doesn't matter, the program still recompresses no matter what the bitrate is set to. Again, Architect reports it has to recompress because it can't use a 24p source.

Yes but it's adjustable , do you have your set to the highest rate you can fit? That's what o was getting at. Was thinking you could squeeze some more quality into the disc, was thinking perhaps the encoder wasn't set to the highest rate you could set.

Also an idea burn a dual layer iso and the shrink it using you preferred method of shrinking.

I'll keep thinking on it and get back to you If I have more ideas

juice4z0 said:
Yes but it's adjustable , do you have your set to the highest rate you can fit? That's what o was getting at. Was thinking you could squeeze some more quality into the disc, was thinking perhaps the encoder wasn't set to the highest rate you could set.

Also an idea burn a dual layer iso and the shrink it using you preferred method of shrinking.
Yeah, it's as high as it can go for a single layer. If I understand correctly, it shouldn't be using the encoder at all.

reave suggested the dual layer idea to me, which I am going to try. But it's going to take a while to encode....

Just an FYI for anyone interested, the recompression appears to be happening because Architect Studio requires it for 24p sources. Architect Pro does not have this limitation.

Back
Top Bottom