• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LFE channel not playing back

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure what has happened here, but when I try to solo my LFE channel for edits/crossfade/etc I can't hear anything. All the other channels solo fine. Any ideas?

Screenshot of the timeline?

LFE channels usualy very few amount of sound anyway. except big action movies like... Transfomers...
yeah Transformers should have a lots of LFE low frequencies in its LFE channel during the action parts.

Delete the sfk file, this happens to me sometimes.

AvP said:
Delete the sfk file, this happens to me sometimes.

aha, very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Should cause Vegas to rebuild the peak info file. Can't wait to find out if that fixes Reave's problem, because I saw no issues with his project.

I deleted the LFE sf file. Still no sound.

Looked around all my settings, nothing seems out of whack. Anyone?

Does this audio file shows any sign of life once opened in another audio program, like audacity?

Good question. I would assume so since Vegas loads the file and builds the peaks every time, but I'll check.

Bump. Still no worky.

Maybe obvious but... did you change the track to be a regular track instead of LFE designation? LFE is a bit of an outdated concept these days anyway. Furthermore, if I am understanding what you are doing correctly, I'm not even sure if a mono LFE can be recognized.

I'll see what that does.

have you selected "enable low pass filter" or some variation thereof?
mentioned here around the 2:00 mark
I have rarely had alot of visible peaks in my LFE tracks but it always sounds fine IMO.

Low pass filter actually does kinda the opposite of what it sounds like it does. It allows the bass to pass through and filters out everything else, so that wouldn't be the problem.

elbarto1 said:
huh?
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-121828.html

I was under the impression it worked like ^that. please explain if I am wrong.

" Vegas, in its project settings has an option for setting the lowpass to use with the LFE channel , and offers 4 choices:
- 80 (Dolby consumer/DVD)
- 116 (DTS)
- 120 (Dolby pro/film)
- 180"

Taken from the thread you posted. So those settings are bassy frequencies. In other words that number is the cutoff number at which everything above that frequency would be filtered so that unneeded crap isn't cluttering up your LFE channel, which would waste space and potentially cause your subwoofer to reproduce sounds that it isn't designed to reproduce. Most would say that you don't want above 120 Hz going to subwoofer.

It is kinda irrelevant for what we do since we are mostly working with sound that has already had such filters applied, but at the same time it doesn't hurt anything to have it checked.

interesting, I interpreted it as meaning that it filtered the low frequencies from the surround into the LFE.

elbarto1 said:
interesting, I interpreted it as meaning that it filtered the low frequencies from the surround into the LFE.
{shrug} Come to think of it I have heard the term used both ways. That is why I get pissed off when programs don't have basic pop-up descriptions of features. In this case it looks like I am correct. Here is what Vegas help says:

Enable low-pass filter on LFE
Select this check box if you want to apply a low-pass filter to each track in a 5.1 surround project that is assigned to the LFE channel.

Applying a low-pass filter approximates the bass-management system in a 5.1 decoder and ensures that you're sending only low-frequency audio to the LFE channel.

Before rendering your surround project, check your surround authoring application's documentation to determine its required audio format. Some encoders require a specific cutoff frequency and rolloff, and your encoder may require that no filter be applied before encoding.

Cutoff frequency for low-pass filter
Choose a frequency from the drop-down list or type a frequency in the box to set the frequency above which audio will be ignored by the LFE channel.

Low-pass filter quality
Choose a setting from the drop-down list to determine the sharpness of filter's rolloff curve. Best produces the sharpest curve.

What you are describing I think is generally more a factor when looking in receiver settings handling the final output to your speakers. I think I have seen settings in the setup menus for those that control re-routing low frequencies from main channels to subwoofer.

Oh shit, the light bulb just went off on this one! Yeah, I have had this happen to me when trying to render to stereo if project properties are set to 5.1. Just change your audio project properties to stereo before rendering to stereo. It shouldn't mess anything up when you switch back, but just to be safe, you can save project as a different name first before screwing with project properties if you want.

Orr... maybe I am being totally obvious and retarded. I am going to bed now. :(

Back
Top Bottom