• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anyone know any free editing software for Windows?

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys,

Hope this is the right forum to place this thread, so apologies if it's not.

Does anyone know any decent free editing software for Windows? My edition is Vista.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Jon :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
moved to technical section. There is a whole subforum for this, read around. Short answer to your question is yes and no. There are powerful freeware tools including avisynth, but none of these good tools are user friendly at all. You will have to pay for a good program with a nice GUI.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Thank you. I installed it, but haven't used it yet. I still use PP. Guess he'll have to Google free software then.

I think he'll be out of luck (though I could be wrong...) in finding a decent free NLE software. To my knowledge the only good free route is avisynth, and there is quite a learning curve there. Honestly, I think it is worth the money to buy something like the Studio version of Vegas if money is an issue, but you want a good editor. I think you can pick up a copy of Vegas Studio 10 (older, they are on 11 now) for under $40 USD, and that comes bundled with Architect.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, to Throw you listen! I have Vegas Studio 9 and I've been very impressed, given how cheap it was.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I think he'll be out of luck (though I could be wrong...) in finding a decent free NLE software. To my knowledge the only good free route is avisynth, and there is quite a learning curve there. Honestly, I think it is worth the money to buy something like the Studio version of Vegas if money is an issue, but you want a good editor. I think you can pick up a copy of Vegas Studio 10 (older, they are on 11 now) for under $40 USD, and that comes bundled with Architect.

Someday I want to learn avisynth. Someday...

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If your stuck with Windows, it's learn scripting or pay through the nose.

Avisynth is the only good free solution. It's amazingly powerful and in most respects outclasses extremely expensive software. But it also has a steep learning curve, since you actually write the cuts with your keyboard, through scripts.

However, Windows also has the best cheap solution: Sony Vegas. (Trust Frink. Always.)

The only good freeware solution I know of at the moment is Linux-only and is called Kdenlive. It's powerful and has a pretty useful and understandable GUI. Cinelerra (also Linux-only) is also pretty decent, but the GUI and icon sets are so bizarrely ugly and convoluted you might as well learn Avisynth scripting.

In short: If you feel comfy with scripts, use Avisynth. If not, use Vegas. If it has to be free, set up a Linux dualboot environment and use Kdenlive. (And update from Vista no matter what you do.)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
If your stuck with Windows, it's learn scripting or pay through the nose.

Avisynth is the only good free solution. It's amazingly powerful and in most respects outclasses extremely expensive software. But it also has a steep learning curve, since you actually write the cuts with your keyboard, through scripts.

However, Windows also has the best cheap solution: Sony Vegas. (Trust Frink. Always.)

The only good freeware solution I know of at the moment is Linux-only and is called Kdenlive. It's powerful and has a pretty useful and understandable GUI. Cinelerra (also Linux-only) is also pretty decent, but the GUI and icon sets are so bizarrely ugly and convoluted you might as well learn Avisynth scripting.

In short: If you feel comfy with scripts, use Avisynth. If not, use Vegas. If it has to be free, set up a Linux dualboot environment and use Kdenlive. (And update from Vista no matter what you do.)

Agree with most of what you said, except I would hardly consider $40 USD as "paying through the nose." That's damn cheap for a decent editing AND authoring suite.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still recommended it, though. :)
Seriously, didn't realize it was as cheap as 40 dollars. Then it's by far the best solution, unless you're willing to learn scripting or use Linux.

BTW, I wrote a kind of tutorial for the Avisynth-curious a while ago. It's rudimentary (read the whole thread for a good discussion and feedback), but it's a pretty decent starting point, I think. Most Avisynth guides are usually too simple (i.e. written for conversion purposes) or wildly complex.

Top Bottom