• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek TNG - Blu-Ray

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A trailer with new footage from Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-Ray has been released, and it's TNG like you've never seen it before. Not just high def, there's new color grading and recomposited special effects on display.

TrekCore has extracted some screencap comparisons for your viewing pleasure. A few samples:

Standard
sinsofthefather113.jpg

Remastered
farpointhd_9.jpg

Standard
farpoint2_219.jpg

Remastered
farpointhd_3.jpg

I wanted to find out more about the effects restoration process, and found great info in this post by TV-Tastic. This is what they say about the recompositing:

what the road block for shows like TNG has been traditionally is that the individually photographed elements were all initially photographed on 35mm films but they were composited together on standard-definition video tape and then edited together with the live-action footage on video tape as well for distribution. Think of the Photoshop scenario again. This would be the equivalent of having all of your sailboat elements being in a high-resolution format but saving the final product as the lowest quality jpeg file. This being said, this production team is going to have to reassemble (re-composite) from scratch all of the individual effects elements for all of the exterior shots for all 178 episodes and convert them into the high-definition format and then edit them together with the live action shots precisely as they were presented when they originally aired.

This is a daunting task, no doubt, but probably not nearly as daunting as we, the average consumers/laypeople would think it would be...all of the episodes were produced with the idea that whatever form it would take, the original filming elements would be, HD-Ready, as far as that notion was understood at the time, meaning that they didn’t “lock it in” to being only available for SD viewing and wanted to make it as easy as possible for those original filming elements to be produced in a future HD product. ...

our sources unanimously agreed that the restoration/remastering and scanning of TNG for Blu-ray and other HD formats, effects shots not withstanding, will not be nearly as difficult as it was for TOS because of, one, the foresight we just mentioned during the initial production and, two, and far more importantly, the 35mm film that was in use from 1987-1994 when TNG was produced was of a much higher quality than what was in use during the TOS era of 1966-1969. Not only is it not nearly as degraded because of the fact that it’s 30 years newer and 30 years more advanced, but keep in mind that TNG was produced during the home video era and therefore the 25,000 reels of negatives have been kept in excellent condition for future home video releases.
Sounds exciting, I'm jazzed about this. But I haven't seen a lot of TNG episodes since they were first broadcast, so I'm hoping the stories and acting live up to the refurbished video quality.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have been following this with great anticipation. Three of TNG's seven seasons were hit and miss, but I don't care...be buying the lot.

And crossing my fingers for DS9 HD. Oh please oh please....

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They are darker in some areas because the contrast isn't effed up the way it was on the DVDs.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This along with the recently released Farscape Bluray set are going to take quite the chunk off my income...

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Have been following this with great anticipation. Three of TNG's seven seasons were hit and miss, but I don't care...be buying the lot.

And crossing my fingers for DS9 HD. Oh please oh please....

+1 I can't wait for TNG on Blu-ray. I wish the sampler disc were scheduled for a pre-Christmas release, but it looks as if I'll have to wait till January.

Uncanny Antman said:
They are darker in some areas because the contrast isn't effed up the way it was on the DVDs.

+1 again lol. The remastered shots look much better.

Top Bottom